please help me figure out what to do with my ms660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There, I fixed your first sentence for ya. ;) There really is too much over thinking going on IMO .

thanks! now if you would just consider deleting certain other posts... we can probably get this guy on his way. but, in any event... when it comes to engines... especially diagnosing 'over the fone' as in verbal overhauls... the only limits I see... feel... as to too much or too little... are the 10,000 count word limits on individual AS posts... :cool:

:popcorn2:

Don't take this personal but I feel the need to interject some sense here. There isn't a damn thing wrong with that piston or that cylinder, I still see the machine marks in the piston in the pictures and there is no transfer on the cylinder walls. Second of all, its never a good idea to scuff the piston rings with an abrasive... period.

@inbilya, put the sandpaper down and step away from the bad advice. Pick up a can of Brake Kleen, spray the piston and rings off, let dry (compressed air helps), add a drop or two of fresh 2-stroke oil and lightly coat the piston skirt and assemble. Clean the cylinder walls with a lint free rag and a couple shots of cleaner. Lightly oil and reassemble. If you would like to clean up the piston top some you can take a brass wire brush and some of the Brake Kleen to it but its probably not worth the effort.

Get the saw back together and check that the issue is still present before you do anything more. You don't want to introduce any more variables.

ask 10 guys what cam to use, get 10 different cam suggestions! I think ur ideas here are ok for you, but as an engine builder I would never do as you are suggesting... a lint free rag, omg... never ever seen one of those!... a drop or two to the piston skirt and assemble... imo, I would call that dry assembly... nobody said scuff the piston rings... can u please quote me where I said scuff?....

so, I wont take ur comments personally :) but will say... more misinformation... imo

to contradict, one should at least keep the comments in proper perspective and not over exaggerate what is being said... otherwise just a mere waste of bandwidth...

>There isn't a damn thing wrong with that piston

I will close now with... "can't believe you made that statement!" and get me some more :drinkingcoffee:

of course there is plenty wrong with the piston!!!... it is shedding aluminum and pitting... its clearly there in the pix... not to mention worn skirts...

I know what I am talking about... it says it right here in this book :reading:

lol ;)

Don't take this personal but I feel the need to interject some sense here.

There isn't a damn thing wrong with that piston .

I see a dog, u see a cat. that u feel or think there is nothing wrong with the piston... is sufficient for me to not comment futher... I may admire your modding skills, but as an engine builder... I wouldn't let u touch my stuff... even if I have no control over your post modding power. I hope the OP can see thru this skilled vs non skilled elements :)

:buttkick:

Either a fuel or ignition issue has caused some erosion on the piston crown, but there is nothing here to warrant sanding anything.

It does not take more than a couple drops of oil to assemble a topend. How much oil do you think is on it when you shut it down?

View attachment 502454

Either a fuel or ignition issue has caused some erosion on the piston crown, but there is nothing here to warrant sanding anything.

It does not take more than a couple drops of oil to assemble a topend. How much oil do you think is on it when you shut it down?

who said anything about sanding?... only reference to sanding was by the OP... can you post the references to sanding since u feel its it an item to comment about...

Gzzz... this is quite a thread... more misinformation...

thank you

:)

yep! in the world of good pistons... that sure is a good piston!!!! lol

well, according to certain posting experts here... omg! :surprised3:

>It does not take more than a couple drops of oil to assemble a topend

come on! Mr Snelling... I had given you much more credit than to be posting such misinformation as this...

what is a couple? come on by definition a couple of...means a small indefinite amount of... but as your inflame it... reads two? three? only a couple...

why 'not more than a couple of drops of oil' would not even address the needs of the wrist pin bearing's reassembled start up needs ... me thinks maybe somebody got too much aluminum dust floating around in the his shop's air... :dizzy:

maybe the modder should just delete all the posts here, but yours... the one in reference to 'try a new plug!'

lol :laughing:

I would not hesitate to run some 600 grit w/dry paper longitudinally using gasoline only as a cutting agent. lightly, just to scrub things up. not to hone! this assumes for next run, same rings. if it was mine and I did scrub cyl once precleaned or carbon and any grits in there, they will all have them... once taken apart... I would not have a problem lightly running the 600 across the face of the rings. I said lightly... and not to remove metal, merely to lightly upset them a skosh. remember, this is my approach, not joes toms or bills, lol who are they? I am an engine builder. with a lot of experience. but I am not a chainsaw engine builder, but I am a tuner, too. i have a lot of dif 2-stroke engine/tuning exp. and I am a very expd porting and carb modifier, too.
Right there.

If you can't defend your position with personal insults, then perhaps you should reconsider involving yourself in this discussion.

there are no personal insults! I don't sling personal insults. I may comment and share my opinion... ;)

anyway, perhaps proof read ur post... defend what with personal insults... If you can't defend your position with personal insults,

but you guys are so wrong, u deserve a little chiding! :p

This saw has nothing more than a fuel and/or ignition issue.

no, other than some mechanical damage... but what they heck... it falls in the "perfectly good" category...

not in my shop it don't.... :cool:

ok, I am done. out of coffee... enjoyed these ' discussisons '...

thank you for your time and thoughts; have a nice day! :)

POSTSCRIPT:

I would not hesitate to run some 600 grit w/dry paper
longitudinally using gasoline only as a cutting agent. lightly, just to scrub things up. not to hone! this assumes for next run, same rings. if it was mine and I did scrub cyl once precleaned or carbon and any grits in there, they will all have them... once taken apart... I would not have a problem lightly running the 600 across the face of the rings. I said lightly... and not to remove metal, merely to lightly upset them a skosh. remember, this is my approach, not joes toms or bills, lol who are they? I am an engine builder. with a lot of experience. but I am not a chainsaw engine builder, but I am a tuner, too. i have a lot of dif 2-stroke engine/tuning exp. and I am a very expd porting and carb modifier, too.

Right there.

haha, cute again! don't say nothing about sandpaper, now does it! says wet/dry and ck the grit... wet/dry is not sandpaper. it is wet/dry... scrub is not sanding! lightly running is not sanding... I know u know what skosh is...

btw - if you want to attend my engine builder's engine building class... I will ck with admin... and get u a seat comp!

an industry courtesy... :)

Your arrogance is nauseating, and not the least bit convincing. The fact that you can't even differentiate between a reasonable defence of your position and a personal attack is very telling.

thank you Mr Snelling... I can see u r not used to debating sound engine building/repairing techniques well with other industry professionals... oh well... each is entitled to their own opinions...

imo, your a hoot! :blob2: albeit, a bit [too] sensitive... ;) and I will respect yours... even if I don't agree with them!! ;)

as I say, "Good Day, Sir ~"....

thank you Mr Snelling... I can see u r not used to debating sound engine building/repairing techniques well with other industry professionals... oh well... each is entitled to their own opinions....
Seriously? Do you really think people buy your crap? The only defense you have of your opinion is to make fun of and suggest that I don't have a clue, all the while attempting to present a clearly fabricated air of superiority. That's a weak man.

Latest posts

Back