please help me figure out what to do with my ms660.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your arrogance is nauseating, and not the least bit convincing. The fact that you can't even differentiate between a reasonable defence of your position and a personal attack is very telling.

haha ! ~ :laughing: as they say, " let he who is without sin, cast the first stone! "....

I am not too sure I can agree with u about that arrogance call... nor ur referred to verbage... but as for this or that...

it is quite clear to me... who is not 'the least bit convincing!'...

[memo to self" dang, thot 'we' was done with this thread for today...]

ok, then... again, in closing.... have a nice day.

:havingarest:

Your arrogance is nauseating, and not the least bit convincing. The fact that you can't even differentiate between a reasonable defence of your position and a personal attack is very telling.

dang! thot this man had work to do...

> The fact that you can't even differentiate between a reasonable defence of your position and a personal attack is very telling

Mr. Snelling... you confuse me! do you mean defense... or do you mean de' fence?... what side are you on?

dang! thot this man had work to do...

> The fact that you can't even differentiate between a reasonable defence of your position and a personal attack is very telling

Mr. Snelling... you confuse me! do you mean defense... or do you mean de' fence?... what side are you on?
Now this one I liked, lol. I'm on de'side of de OP :)

Also, I love the colors you have so kindly put my name in, especially with Memorial Day coming up!

Now this one I liked, lol. I'm on de'side of de OP :)

Also, I love the colors you have so kindly put my name in, especially with Memorial Day coming up!

hey! there bub !! ~ don't forget all the Likes, too! lol....

I am bowing out with my prev post... giving you the last word! :cool: it's clear to me you want it!!! so take it!!! I am so solid in my standing... I have no need to try to extract your acclaim from this thread, or any for that matter. I cant tell u I am giving you the last word... without this add'l post. I suppose I can delete it tomorrow, at least u will know

in the word-name game, the last word is yours...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=name game utube&qs=n&form=QBRE&pq=name game utube&sc=1-15&sp=-1&sk=&cvid=7F4812C1A40B422D80386F2A4C3EFD2A

... a drop or two to the piston skirt and assemble... imo, I would call that dry assembly...
I'll attempt to educate you since you are "not a chainsaw engine builder". I mentioned a couple or drops on the rings and a light coating of oil on the piston and cylinder such that its not dry. Excessive amounts of oil will do no good and can contribute to additional carbon build-up. :reading:

...nobody said scuff the piston rings... can u please quote me where I said scuff?....
You said;
I would not hesitate to run some 600 grit w/dry paper longitudinally using gasoline only as a cutting agent. lightly, just to scrub things up. not to hone! this assumes for next run, same rings. if it was mine and I did scrub cyl once precleaned or carbon and any grits in there, they will all have them... once taken apart... I would not have a problem lightly running the 600 across the face of the rings. I said lightly... and not to remove metal, merely to lightly upset them a skosh. remember, this is my approach, not joes toms or bills, lol who are they?
:baaa::laughing:

So, Who are you? Oh yeah, "not a chainsaw engine builder". Which is evident when you suggested "scrub things up", like not removing rings because they bend too easy, running an abrasive across the face of the rings and run the abrasive longitudinally in the cylinder... Must be you've never heard of cross hatch eh? ;) Here's a thought, the rings are already seated to the cylinder, there is no break-in if he doesn't replace them. Putting an abrasive across the ring face is not going to improve the sealing capability of the ring, it only potentially damages it. :dumb:

so, I wont take ur comments personally :) but will say... more misinformation... imo
Yes, the majority (and quantity!) coming from you. :surprised3:

...of course there is plenty wrong with the piston!!!... it is shedding aluminum and pitting... its clearly there in the pix... not to mention worn skirts...
It has some wear, nothing to write home about. 150 hours on a saw is not new but its not at end of life either. As mentioned earlier, dirty air filter could explain the marks in the piston. The skirt is fine. Like you said, some things are being overly exaggerated. Especially the details you suggest the OP needs to get the saw back running.

haha, cute again! don't say nothing about sandpaper, now does it! says wet/dry and ck the grit... wet/dry is not sandpaper. it is wet/dry... scrub is not sanding! lightly running is not sanding... I know u know what skosh is...
Skosh : The very smallest unit of fake measure, smaller than both the smidge and the tad.
Any time you contact an abrasive to a material the material is abraded away (removed). Why someone would recommend "scrubbing" the sealing surface of a piston ring a "skosh" doesn't get it. :eek:

btw - if you want to attend my engine builder's engine building class... I will ck with admin... and get u a seat comp!
an industry courtesy... :)
No thanks, I'm good. Good luck with your final exam, you better start studying early, you don't want to have to repeat the class. ;) :)

:barbecue:

thanks for taking the time to write... I guess you have hung up ur moderator hat, so maybe I can be a bit candid...

Mr Inbilya did not write to you! he wrote to me. consequently, you are clearly out of line! he dint ask for you advice, he asked for mine, based upon my previous post to him. him, not you! you are where I come from little more than what we call in the industry 'an enthusiast'. no professional experience or training! hence, say what you want to... its all BS, merely speculative opinion, and holds no technical merit. it is merely your personal presentation of misrepresenting what I said. such behavior is expected at the enthusiast level... guys like you are emotional driven, lack any sound experience... haha, x-hatch? sure, u just don't know nor have the experience at the hand level... at the enthusiast level, it is understandable... so I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and not hold it against you... but, imo... best you not be shouting out such bum gouge to those seeking help.... newbies mite be influenced by your lack of experience... you don't need to attempt to educate me on anything... i am very experienced and also very competent... i cannot help it if you guys want to read wrong into what was worded correct. i can only assess it up to a serious lack of experience.... ok? :popcorn2:

btw - the class offer wasn't made to you...

we done now? :)

I haven't had time to read any of your posts I will be doing that soon I hope. I cleaned it up and took some pictures. Here they are. I now think it all started with that spark plug vibrating some theread material off the cylinder. Although some dings on top of the piston look bigger than just piece of the thread. Someone should've told me to take a muffler and carb off and wash combution chamber our before dissasembling , because now I don't know if any of it fell down into the crank case during disassembly . I want to run a tap to clean up those threads. Should I do that? I want to use the 1500 wet sandpaper with some wd 40 and sand the walls of the piston. I did not touch them yet , I will probably leave cylinder walls alone. Then should I round the edge on top of the piston with same sandpaper? Now if it wasn't the piece of a thread, then how about the piece from picture 16 - could that have ended up being sucked up into the combustion chamber and caused all those dings and jambs? decompression valve feels little rough when I try to spin it I hope its not leaking air. Should I wash the crank case out ? what should I use?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    513.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    787.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    501.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 34
more pictures

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 28
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 37
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    701.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 41
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
  • 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    705.1 KB · Views: 23
Does anyone have the specs for ring groove clearance?

How about a view of the bottom end?
Have we seen the piston pin and bearing?

What's the lower end looking like?
Anything amiss there?

bottom end - does that mean crankcase? also which bearing ? lower end - is that crankcase? sorry , just want to be clear, not too familiar with some terms commonly used in this field

A dirty air filter does not effect carbon deposits in any way. Oil quality, gas quality, ratio of each, air to fuel ratio, combustion temperatures are all things that affect carbon build-up. The dirty air filter could explain the whisker marks above the top ring and the edge of the piston dome on the exhaust side.
I thought dirty air makes the engine run more rich and that would affect carbon build-up

Could you please post a pic of the ring ends on the lower ring?....again, something just doesn't look right in pic # 13.

Pic # 16 clearly shows material missing from the piston.

No offence intended, but you need to have someone that knows saws look at your big end (con rod) and main bearings (that's the two bearings either end of the crankshaft mounted in the crankcase.

It's your choice, but I wouldn't use that piston again!.... Even if it were useable I would definitely not reuse those rings!

its almost 3 am. I just finished reading all posts. I welcome all info. discussion is good. Just takes a lot of reading and thinking . would be better if people could try not to offend and not get offended and let others make mistakes like priding themselves a bit more on occasion. for the sake of others reading this thread even years down the road , looking for technical information, I suggest putting all personal comments aside and sticking to the subject. I hope I don't offend anyone by saying these words. I'm new here and not here to teach anyone, just asking politely. Its hard for me to read English, especially abbreviated and technical terms, so there is plenty to digest besides all that could be avoided. Thanks for understanding. I very much appreciate everyone trying to help. I will be going back and replying to some of the posts sometime later. Also please try to use simple terms (whenever possible) to help me better understand. Thanks again

Ok guys please don't kill me for asking...
Can excessive carbon deposits flaking off cause those impacts marks?
From the looks of the walls of the piston and cylinder, it does not look like any lean condition or anything. Like suggested earlier look for the source of those impacts.
The OP I believe asked earler about the metal from the plug threads. Couldn't that be a cause?
If the new plug threads were slightly damaged or something and were chasing slightly new threads, I would think that that metal would be deposited in the cylinder, banged up and spit out.
I personally would chase those plug threads again and clean them up (but thats my opinion) I don't think I would feel comfortable inserting a plug only to possibly have anything come off those threads into the chamber.

To the OP direct... curious...I would suggest, if you take the cylinder and placed it on top of a clean sheet of paper and threaded a plug and checked to see if anything falls onto the paper from the threads.
Also examine the threads on both plugs to see if they are damaged in anyway.

You have definitely had some foreign metal in that cylinder, causing those marks in both the piston crown and combustion chamber. Check all of your bottom end bearings CLOSELY.

The wear on the bottom of the intake skirt is 100% normal.

The first order of business is to guarantee that nothing is wrong with the bottom end. Your piston is 100% serviceable, IMHO. Get those carb limiters trimmed, mod the muffler, tune it richer, use 32:1 and go back to work.

Back