Plum Milling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackCoffin

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Milled a small plum log this morning. I've done a larger one previously, this one only got two 2" boards (what my coworker wanted). I wish this stuff didn't warp or crack so badly half the time because it's absolutely beautiful wood. The multiple tones and hidden pink/purple pockets throughout the wood you just can't find anywhere else. Very hard wood too and makes great cutting boards.IMG_3432.JPGIMG_3433.JPG IMG_3434.JPG

Timber from fruit trees is extremely nice to use as craft wood. The timber has a great feel to it so I've used it for tool handles and kitchen implements.
How was the smell?
Back in 2007 I milled a 100 year old apricot tree and it smelled like apricots.
I posted the pics before but seeing as they have all gone I'll post a couple here.
Apri2.jpg
Aprigrain.jpg

Beautiful grain on that apricot BobL, the log sat for a year and a half and was pretty dry already. I've milled a green one before and it smells like the fruit it produces! A guy could get used to working with wood like that.

Beautiful grain on that apricot BobL, the log sat for a year and a half and was pretty dry already. I've milled a green one before and it smells like the fruit it produces! A guy could get used to working with wood like that.
IMG_20160525_092709.jpg Here is a Plum log that was dumped in yard waste/branch dump last year. Had to cut in half to get into car with all the branches larger than a couple inches.Still contemplating what larger than chop sticks and a soup spoon to plan. I think japanese George had/has materials around to dry while ideas develop. A few people compare me to that aspect of him LOL I just think slo and forget fast! Don't want to disuade kind thoughts (-;

Talk about a lucky find! Some people down the road from me removed a cherry tree that size but by the time I realized they were removing it nothing was left.

Latest posts

Back