Pneumatic Launcher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bearclaw,

I was curious to see how that tennis ball launcher was held when you fire it. Do you fire it from your shoulder? Seems like if you're launching a 16 oz projectile 30 feet high, the recoil is gonna be fairly STOUT...no?

How much does the "gun" weigh?

View attachment 38402Yeah, I do shoot from the shoulder and sight right down the barrel. I'll post a pic here soon. Even with the 20 oz. it really doesn't kick bad until you get around 100 psi.:hmm3grin2orange: Of course you don't need that kind of pressure unless you climbing giant redwoods....

The whole thing weighs about 6 or 8 lbs.

I'm almost finished with the mini version which will be smaller than the one in this pic.

valve

Hey Bearclaw,

What kind of stores sell the sprinkler valves that you use to trigger the launcher? Do you think Home Depot or Ace Hardware would sell them?

Thanks.

Yep, any hardware store should sell sprinkler valves... anywhere from about 5 dollars to 15.

ALL STEEL AND WILL SHOOT A GOLF BALL 5000':dizzy:
attachment.php

BUT I DON'T THINK THE LINE WOULD STAY ON

Last edited:
On the valve:
*Did you use 2" diameter?
*Why did you modify it to be pneumatic? I assume just so there are fewer parts (batteries)?
*How did you modify it?
*What did you use as the "switch" to actuate the valve pneumatically?

Great idea. Thanks!

ATH said:
On the valve:
*Did you use 2" diameter?
*Why did you modify it to be pneumatic? I assume just so there are fewer parts (batteries)?
*How did you modify it?
*What did you use as the "switch" to actuate the valve pneumatically?

Great idea. Thanks!

The sprinkler valve is has a 1" outlet, the diaphragm is about 3". Standard sprinkler valve. I modified it to be pneumatic for simplicity, batteries would have added another component, and another reason for it to break down.
To modify it I simply removed the electronic acuator, filled in the hole with epoxy, and drilled the releif hole out a bit. Out of the releif hole runs the tube to the duster nozle hidden in the handle. When the pressure is relieved off the backside of the diaprhagm, the pressure is allowed to escape through the normal outlet, hence the firirng out the barrel.

still in use

Hey Bearclaw,

Are you still using the pneumatic launcher for throw bag placement? If so, any long term performance updates?

Back