Pole saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millerranch

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Stihl or other pole saws. I am looking at getting a new chainsaw as stated in a previous thread, and a pole saw. I want one my wife can use also, so not to heavy, but it needs to be long enought to be worth it. I have read about the harness you can buy for the stihl models that really help with the weight.

Any thoughts on these? Best models in the Stihl line?

Thanks,

Tom

This is my pole saw..... :hmm3grin2orange:

FordF-350002.jpg

I have a Stihl pole saw. Any of them that are any good are heavy, especially when you extend them out.

I am assuming you are talking about a powered one. If you want something your wife can use, an electric one would be lighter but even they are cumbersome to use.

You didn't state how large your wife is (strength) but most women don't have as much upper body strength as most men and I think most women would struggle with a gas powered pole saw.

I have found the Stihl to be a very useful tool and wouldn't want to be without it. Another option to consider would be a good quality sectional manual pole saw/lopper.

I have a Tanaka TPS-260PF and absolutely love it. It has plenty of power, is dead reliable, and you can get it for about $375 shipped. PM me if you want to know where. I am not brand loyal. I buy quality products that fit my need. I even got one for my father in law (he only buys Stihl products) and he loves it.

We use a Stihl HT 75 extend pole saw. Had it for many years trim thousands of palm trees. I replaced the shaft once operator era. If I replaced today it would be with Stihl.

I managed to pick up a Shindaiwa pole saw for a very good price. It doesn't extend and is a bit heavy but runs great. If I were to purchase another pole saw I would look for a good reliable unit that does extend.

All pole saws with good reach (extenders) are heavy. Even if they dont actually weigh a lot, the balance is way out there. For short (weedeater shaft length) ones, the local rental store has a Jonsered I rented that was great- light and cut well. But like has been said, an electric may be good for the wife...if you can stand the build quality. For extenders, check out the Efco- cheaper than a Stihl, 5 year warranty and with an articulating head so you can make true downward cuts. Local Efco dealer is getting them in this week so I'm gonna go check em out!

I have the Stihl 101 with an angle head. It extends and works well. The angle head makes a big difference. It is a work out for more than a couple of tanks. Make sure to use a helmet with a face shield and neck cover.

I have a Stihl HT 131 but I would not recomend it for a lady to use unless she is an olympic body builder. I am a big guy but it wears me out in short order.

I have a ht131 and when it is running , it works great but it is a heavy beast. I would look at a quality manual polesaw. Fanno make good saws and nice interlocking fiberglass poles. Unless you are into tree work, it is all you really need and it wont bust your back.

I have a ht131 and when it is running , it works great but it is a heavy beast. I would look at a quality manual polesaw. Fanno make good saws and nice interlocking fiberglass poles. Unless you are into tree work, it is all you really need and it wont bust your back.

Good advice. Power pole saws are more than most really need and IMO it is pretty easy to make some very poor quality cuts with them. However, they do have an engine and I quess thats the attraction. lol

I have a couple of Stihls, been using them for years with no problem. The do get a little heavy after a while tho. as I guess any of them with a motor does. I prefer the manual one if it is small limbs, I have an extended reach one but it's so old I can't remember what brand it is.

I just bought a Echo PPT-280 and so far I like it. I have about 2 hours on it and it pulls good, oils right, and is 2 stroke. It won't be long then the cat will fall out of the muffler and a retune should make it a screamer.

We use a Stihl HT 75 extend pole saw. Had it for many years trim thousands of palm trees. I replaced the shaft once operator era. If I replaced today it would be with Stihl.

I use my neighbors Stihl pole saw frequently. He also wrecked the power shaft when he got the bar pinched and the limb came down and bent the shaft. When I use it for larger limbs, I cut the limb in 1/3's. Take off the outer part, then another third and finally cut it off at the trunk. There is so much leverage on say a 20-25' limb, it will pinch the bar in a heartbeat and wreck it.

One more thing, the pole saws aren't heavy out right, but extend it out and it will give you a work out.

??

Unless your wife is She-ra get a manual pruner/saw

As it has been said already powered ones are great, but only in short burst

If your wife is She-ra have her jump up and use her sword......

Sorry, I was a child in the 80s He-man was my favorite

I 've nearly grown up but this buying lots of saw is making my wife wonder why i need so many toys.

I just bought a Echo PPT-280 and so far I like it. I have about 2 hours on it and it pulls good, oils right, and is 2 stroke. It won't be long then the cat will fall out of the muffler and a retune should make it a screamer.
I priced a echo yesterday I can get A Stihl for 20 more so I don't think I will go with the echo

Back