Pole saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guido, I want one of those "pole saws", but I can't afford one?:confused2:

Never say never, I got a great deal on the truck but looked for a while too. Missed a great deal on a F-450 4x4 for $300 more. As it sits, it cost me less than a 1 week rental on a house at the beach. The only think i had to do was scrounge up a bucket and make the mounts. Luckily I have a friend who services them and he gave me drawings and measurements.

Last edited:
We have an original Power Pruner to trim the walnut and apricot trees on the family farm. I think that it is about 20 years old & we have had next to no trouble at all with it. It is the extending unit and we have the extra extension for it as well. I have used it the most and can say that it is a real beast to handle when working it at it's max height & I am not a small guy. No, it does not cut fast, but it does cut much better than I thought it would when I first looked it over before running it.

I'm pretty sure that it has an Echo motor on it so the Power Pruners that are now made by Echo and should be pretty solid as well. The new Echo units look very similar to ours.

I priced a echo yesterday I can get A Stihl for 20 more so I don't think I will go with the echo

I could afford either one, but some of the stories I've heard about the "4 Mix" engines made me go with the Echo. I know what I'm getting with a two stroke but I'm not big on adjusting and replacing valves.

I opted for the ECHO Power Attachment System (great sale, got free trimmer attachment with pole saw attachment). Don't need the trimmer, but no choice there. The saw is great. better than the Homelite electric. I can recommend the Echo system. Will be getting the pruner attachment.

We have a HT 131 with the angled head at work. I'm moderately fit and strong but it tires me out in no time especially when extended. You cannot compare it to normal chainsaw operation at all. We have the optional harness but it only really helps when walking about rather than when cutting. As already stated when cutting anything over about 2" an undercut is essential and it is worth taking bigger branches back in stages. Even then it is very easy to pinch the bar as it is difficult to be precise with postioning that far away. I would regard the angled head as essential as before we bought the HT 131 we hired a HT85 without the angled head and it was really easy to get that hung up.
If your wife is capable of using one of the extending ones I for one wouldn't be doing anything other than agreeing with her at all times!!!

here's a better pic
attachment.php

When i was in need of a pole saw, i was torn on what to do.

Do i buy a pole saw and let it sit most of the time???

Buy the chainsaw head for my Sithl FS90R??? But it won't reach very far.

I have no brand loyalty, but after getting some prices I figured i would stay with Stihl. I called up my Stihl dealer to get some prices. I just couldn't justify buying, even Stihl's cheapest pole saw, for a good amount of money and letting it sit. A few month's before this, i purchased a FS90R for around the house and week waking my motocross track every weekend. I began thinking that i should have bought the Kombi trimmer. My dealer said he would take my trimmer on trade towards a new Kombi trimmer. BUT i was still in the same predicament, it would be too short lol.

I went to the Stihl guy down the road(not my normal Stihl dealer).... its really an ACE Hardware. I figured i would look at each attachment to try to figure something out. Sooooo the wheel's started turning in my head. The MAIN problem is that the shaft's on the normal string trimmers has a male end and the kombi's systems uses a female end where it connects to the attachments. So basically all the attachments have male connectors on each end of the shaft. Which would also imply that the attachment heads have the female end.

WELL i found the way to make them work. The extender shaft, that Stihl makes, has the opposite setup. It has the female end where i could mount it to my FS90R and the other end is the male end that would mount directly to the chainsaw head. I bought the extender for $66 and the Kombi chainsaw attachment for $210. When i got home the first thing i had to do was take the gear head off of my FS90R. Then mount the connector clamp, that comes with the extender shaft, to the end of my FS90R. The next thing was swap the shafts, take the extender shaft out of the tube its in and put it in the chainsaw attachment tube. Its a pretty simply swap. I fired the old girl up and she worked great. Its gave me the same length that the cheaper Stihl pole saw would have given me.

I spent $276 plus tax, but i was happy that i didn't have to buy another machine. Hope this can help some people who already own Stihl trimmers.

Ktoom I sure am glad you posted all of that cause I am in the same delima right now I bought a 110 weed whacker last spring ever since I wished I had the kombi. I am going to try the same thing you did

I ended up renting a Stihl pole saw once, HT75 or something, and it worked really well. Yes, they do get tiresome if you have to do a lot of reaching but if you need one, nothing really takes its place. Having said that, I found the price for them was really steep so finding a good used one was the order of the day. I'm leaning towards the Echo... not a big fan of the 4mix.

I have a husky p27x by far the lightest in the class. It is also a true 2 stroke,the sthil saws are a 4 mix with tiny valves.

I bought a used HT 75 a couple of years ago. I really like this series bc they are lighter than the 4 stroke, and don't require the maintenance either. The guy I bought it from had rebuilt the carb and couldn't get it to run correctly since. I suspected the old "gaskets in the wrong order" problem. Sure enough, that was the problem. It has run flawlessly since. I even bought an adjustable carb bc I had planned to do a MM. I haven't gotten around to it.

The key to using a pole saw is keeping the chain sharp, let the weight of the saw do the work, and make an undercut on anything more than about 1" in diameter, finishing from the top. Limbs have a way of barber chairing that will pinch the bar, and getting a pole saw pinched 15' in the air presents a whole different set of challenges to get it freed.

Remember, a pole saw can make more work in 15 minutes than you can clean up in an hour, so plan accordingly!!

I got a echo ppt260 pole saw in 2005 and i have used the hell out of this poor saw, droped it off of my garage roof,lent it out to friends,never ever any problem,did not even bend anything when it fell of my roof.:msp_thumbsup:

I have a Stihl HT 131 but I would not recomend it for a lady to use unless she is an olympic body builder. I am a big guy but it wears me out in short order.

Yup......it's a good saw, but a light-weight it's not.

I just don't see a female using one and having good control over it.

And, they're expensive.

How much is it? I need a new bar for the gearhead which is a HT75 one. I am not sure which motor I am going to use but I have several FS80 pro's, FS90, and a FS130 I bought for $33 being sold for parts only. I have only put about 3-4 hrs on it so far but can't complain and almost full compression 148 cold. To make it usable the cost came out to be about $70. I am wondering if I can put a 0.050 gauge instead of the 0.043 they normally use. I wish I had the right shaft for it but beggars can't be choosers. Figure it will reduce the use on my ryobi one which is disposable for a reason. Im on my second powerhead now in only a few years. Not a professional either. Just a homeowners with a outdoor power hoarding issue. I have a FS70rc, FS36(old), FS40(old) but I am probably going to sell them. Crazy thing is there is not much for me to use them on here. I been using my tools to help out a friend/neighbor since I been using his pressure washer and other items. He also rewired the house since we kept tripping the breaker.

My Stihl ht100, ht131, and ht250 all have the 3005 mount. The nice thing is I can interchange bars with my 200t's. The Cannon fits these when you cut the back of the bar slot out.

Latest posts

Back