Polesaw showed up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got just a bit nervous when I opened the shipping container and the first thing I found was a pre-paid UPS shipping label to send it back :laughing:
No pictures yet... I'll get ya' some this weekend.

Anyway... no assembly required except to snap the pole sections together (no tool required). One section is attached to the engine, another to the cutting head, and the third middle section is optional... use it only if you need the length. The poles seem plenty strong enough, and the unions are steel also. So far, in my mind, the weak spot is the cutting head gearbox and bar mount... all plastic (or some sort of synthetic). I'm thinkin' a guy needs to be gentle tightening the nuts on the dual bar studs. The front handle was positioned to close to the power head to get any lifting leverage, but that was a 10 second adjustment.

The air filter is an el-cheap-o ring of foam, no real surprise. The surprise was the carburetor is fully adjustable, although the screws have the "D" shaped heads on them (I have the tool somewhere but don't remember where). Anyway, it ain't that big of a deal, the tool can be had all over the web for a couple bucks (even Harbor Freight I believe).

The thing comes with a packet of synthetic blend mix oil (40:1), small bottle of bar lube, a protective sleeve for the bar/chain, three "hangers" for hanging each section on a nail (or some such), a hex key for adjusting the oiler... but nothing for removing the bar nuts. I mixed the oil with 1 gallon of 91 octane e-free, filled the fuel tank and bar oil reservoir, and loosened the chain (it was way too tight).

So let's fire it up...
  1. The instructions say to pump the primer bulb 10 times... but the bulb was hard and full at 5 so I stopped.
  2. Pull the rope 5 times with the choke in position #1... but it "popped" on the second pull so I stopped and went to the next step.
  3. Pull the rope 3-5 times with the choke in position #2 to start the engine... but it fired right up and was running on the first pull (for a total of three pulls).
  4. Allow engine to warm up for 30-60 seconds before moving choke lever to position #3... but the darn thing was flooding in 5 seconds so I flipped the lever to position #3.

Now the bad news... it wouldn't pull the chain, like something was bound up. So I shut it off, pulled the sections apart, everything seemed free?? Snapped them back together, one pull and it was running again. This time the chain started moving slow, and very slowly gained speed... and then something "let free" and away she went... not sure what that was all about?? I revved it up a few times and checked the chain... looked like there was some oil on it??

The thing is running too rich for my liking, noticeably rich, like bubbling rich... but I decided to not mess with the carb screws until I run it some (b'sides :D I couldn't find my "D" tool).

I walked out to a small Elm and cut 5 branches off it... from thumb size to wrist size. The thing seemed a bit gutless... but it is only 25cc with a long pole between the power head and cutting head. Still, I just thought there should be more... when I checked the chain it was bone dry, and I could see the oil reservoir was still plumb full. I started backing out the adjustment screw with the supplied hex key until it was fully open... still no oil on the chain. Next I popped the bar off and dropped a small drill bit in the oil hole... appeared to be open. Then I fired it back up and watched, revved and watched, revved and watched... all of a sudden here comes the oil. Bar back on and I've got way more oil than I need, it's dripping on the ground. Darn thing must'a needed priming or something... I'm gonna' need to re-adjust that now.

That's when the wife called me in for supper...

So that's all I got for now... more coming, with pictures, after this weekend and some play time.

What kind did you buy?
You must'a missed the other threads... huh??
I ordered a $179.00 Remington from Home Depot... I used $125.00 worth of gift cards my kids have been giving me for birthdays and such the last couple years :D
So... only $55.00 out'a pocket (although I'm not so sure my "pocket" didn't supply the cash for the gift cards :confused: )

We have those Echo's on our trucks....best pole saws out there. Some of our new bucket truck have hydraulic saws mounted right on the boom.

It should serve you well Spidey.

• The instructions say to pump the primer bulb 10 times... but the bulb was hard and full at 5 so I stopped.
  • Pull the rope 5 times with the choke in position #1... but it "popped" on the second pull so I stopped and went to the next step.
  • Pull the rope 3-5 times with the choke in position #2 to start the engine... but it fired right up and was running on the first pull (for a total of three pulls).
  • Allow engine to warm up for 30-60 seconds before moving choke lever to position #3... but the darn thing was flooding in 5 seconds so I flipped the lever to position #3.

Same instructions that are printed on the side of my Cub Cadet (BC280) weed eater. It's also a gutless sow. No carb adjustment screws either. :mad:

Some of the carbs are adjustable after you pull a pressed in brass plug out. You'll have to get a copy of the IPL to see if it shows the H side adjustment screw under a plug.

Mr. HE:cool:

Same instructions that are printed on the side of my Cub Cadet (BC280) weed eater. It's also a gutless sow.
I'm not expecting this little Remington to be an awesome power house... it's asking a lot of a 25cc engine to turn 6 foot of flexible shaft, the gearbox, the chain, and then throw chips. It should help now that it's oiling, and no doubt tuning the carb is gonna' help... it's definitely running rich enough to effect power. But it sort'a felt (or acted) like something was binding up. Now that I thought about it over night I'm thinkin' it's in one of the poles (like a union bolt rubbing on the flexible drive shaft)... or maybe one of the drive shafts is just a touch too long.

Anyway... I'll give it a good goin' over this weekend... narrow it down and corrected it (if there is something to be corrected).
Heck, maybe it just needs a little breakin' in.

Well that's a little handier than my setup. But when I do my trimming sesssions, I count them as the quarterly running of the generator.

2012-11-24_small.jpg

I'm not expecting this little Remington to be an awesome power house... it's asking a lot of a 25cc engine to turn 6 foot of flexible shaft, the gearbox, the chain, and then throw chips. It should help now that it's oiling, and no doubt tuning the carb is gonna' help... it's definitely running rich enough to effect power. But it sort'a felt (or acted) like something was binding up. Now that I thought about it over night I'm thinkin' it's in one of the poles (like a union bolt rubbing on the flexible drive shaft)... or maybe one of the drive shafts is just a touch too long.

Anyway... I'll give it a good goin' over this weekend... narrow it down and corrected it (if there is something to be corrected).
Heck, maybe it just needs a little breakin' in.
Probably just need some good 32:1 and a muff mod. :surprised3: :laugh:

Probably just need some good 32:1 and a muff mod. :surprised3: :laugh:
:laughing:
I don't know what happened to my carb adjusting tools, I must'a loaned them to somebody... sometime :confused:
Anyway, I just ordered a new set of 4 off Amazon yesterday... "D", "Double-D", "Spline", and "Pac Man". When they get here I should have a couple tanks of fuel run through the thing, and the strategic use of a cutoff wheel/angle grinder/drill bit/etc. on or in the muffler may be a very real possibility... but I ain't popped it off to look at it yet.
I'm fairly confident that 32:1 ain't gonna' happen :D

I just ordered a new set of 4 off Amazon yesterday... "D", "Double-D", "Spline", and "Pac Man".
I'm fairly confident that 32:1 ain't gonna' happen :D
*[/QUOTE] linky please....

Back