Polesaw showed up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I so have pole saw envy right now.

Well... heck man... you can come fondle mine... :D

and a muff mod. :surprised3:

"D", "Double-D"

I ask because my wife makes the same complaints about the mess and the length :laughing: and the pole she's talkin' 'bout ain't got a saw attached.
Ummmm, what are we talkin 'bout here?! :omg: :innocent:

In case anybody still cares about saws...I bought one of those JawSaws upload_2015-5-22_11-3-55.jpeg last year for $50 on the fleabay...used it mainly for cutting small splits off if they are a bit too long to fit in the lil fireplace stove. It came with the optional pole for tree trimming
images
haven't used it yet, seems like the whole rig may be a bit heavy/awkward at full pole extension. Saw has impressive power though (electric)

Ummmm..... are you sure you're talkin' 'bout a pole saw??
I ask because my wife makes the same complaints about the mess and the length :laughing: and the pole she's talkin' 'bout ain't got a saw attached.
...LMAO!!

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how long is your pole?
It measures 6½ feet from the trigger to the tip of the 8 inch bar... 7 feet from the back of the rear handle.

There are two things I've learned using my pole saw: 1) They create a hell of a brush pile in short order 2) The pole is often times not-quite-long-enough.
Ain't that the truth...
FYI... fifteen minutes of cutting equals about an hour and a half of cleanup, and "reaching" for that branch just a bit too high results in a pinched bar.

I ain't been able to play with the thing as much as I wanted to... it rained all day yesterday and still raining today. I did mess with it a little bit on Saturday; I learned running the chain just a touch loose (by my standard anyway) increases the perceived power a lot... and the engine "comes in" after about a tank full of fuel (still running rich though).

Mom and Dad came up on their golf cart Saturday afternoon around 3:30, the wife was planting the garden and Mom headed over that way... so Dad and I opened a box-o-beer. A couple hours later he spots the pole saw sitting on the floor behind the splitter... and one thing leads to another. We spend the next 15 minutes or so trimming branches from two hard maples and made a mess that required an hour and a half to cleanup in the rain the next morning. The largest branch we cut was a touch over 6 inches, the saw handled it just fine (better than I expected). Both of us managed to pinch the bar (once each), but it weren't any problem freeing it with two of us there. Another bit of FYI... as soon as you see the branch start to sag from the cutting, lift the bar out'a the cut until the branch settles, then finish your cut and you won't pinch the bar (at least we didn't)... and use a bottom-cut before the top-cut on larger branches (duh).

Dad suggested we take it down to his place to remove a half-dozen dead branches from an oak in his yard. I was just about to say, "sure, let's go" when he added that we were gonna' need my 7 foot step ladder to reach 'em. I put the brakes on; two guys half-full of beer, a saw, and a ladder... what could possibly go wrong?? Told him I be down the next day... but it's been raining ever since.

So far, cold-starting the thing has been 3 or 4 pulls on the rope, 2 or 3 for the "burp" on full choke, 1 more on half choke and you're running... warm-start has been 1 pull. Throttle response has improved steadily as the engine has "come in", it's actually not bad now. I adjusted the oiler back down a little bit but I'll likely leave it pumping plenty of oil... I figure "plenty" is better than not enough and the reservoir is translucent so you can always see how much remains. I'm gonna' haf'ta get some new decals for it :D I hadn't noticed, but it's damn close to Stihl orange in color, Dad thought it was a Stihl when he first spotted it.

I used the crap out's that little Remington this weekend... spent most of yesterday trimming up a big Silver Maple standing on an 8 foot step ladder in the back of my pickup.
About half way through the third tank of fuel the engine "came in" and went from running rich to running lean... I could feel and hear it right in the middle of cutting a large branch.
So I got out the new "D" tool and ended up turning the high side nearly ½ turn richer and the low side a bit less than ¼ turn richer. Made a noticeable difference in power and throttle response.

I'm gonna' end up using it more than I thought i would... what a surprise :laughing:
I learned if I take the center 2-foot section out it's the perfect length for light limbing and de-brushing... no bending over at all, no gettin' slapped in the face and arms, just walk along upright and lop 'em off out in front of ya'. Quick, easy and pretty darn slick.

Pic's would be great of you using the saw standing on the top of a ladder ,placed in the back of a truck ,I am having a hard time with the mental image .

Thanks

Pic's would be great of you using the saw standing on the top of a ladder ,placed in the back of a truck ,I am having a hard time with the mental image .
Thanks

I've done that with a pole saw and came very close to calamity. Unless the truck is on level ground, which is usually not the case at my place, your stepladder will be leaning. Also pickup truck beds can be slippery. The better method is to set up a rolling scaffold with rails around the platform you stand on while cutting. Once your scaffold is in position, lock the wheels and level it and you're ready to cut safely. Renting or buying scaffolding is still cheaper than hiring a tree company.

Unless the truck is on level ground, which is usually not the case at my place, your stepladder will be leaning. Also pickup truck beds can be slippery.
All true... (although my truck does have a rubber bed mat to combat the slipperiness).
So... what about laying a couple boards across the top sides of a grain wagon and setting the step ladder on them?? (Yeah, I've done that. LOL)

Thanks

Spidey,
Don't do it. Brian is just egging you on !!!
Don't take pics of you doin it either...._please ... :(
go rent a darn manlift if you have to go that high. its much cheaper for a day then a day at the hospital. or a just missed day of work.

I just think of how I would explain to my 12 year old son how I thought it made sense to do something dumb or dangerous then I don't do it.
you got little ones too.

Latest posts

Back