Poll: Which Saw for SawinRedNeck?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which saw for SRN?

• Total voters
get another 350...

Your 046 will handle the biggest tree you care to mess with. And I'm betting that's not often. I think you'd love the 5100s(just stick with 16" .325 setup). And when you think about it, the world is changing to strato-charging and heavier designs which doesn't bode well for limbing saws. But I believe in luck, and your very fond of that 350 so grab another one. Firewood/storm cleanup will always necesitate a limber!

I am reffering to the ignition problems known to plauge that line of saws.

I've never had a lick of problems with my 350!!!!

RIGHT!!!! Did you forget who you are talking about:greenchainsaw:

Well then get the best of both worlds the new Husky362
Or you can wait untill the 575xp gets off the slim trim diet.
or forget the 7900 and go for the 390xp.

As for me Theres a Jonsered 2151 with my name on it.
I realy like the 262xp, no worries

Sawinredneck:

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you want another saw?

If you want a companion to your 460 because it may be in the shop or want to lend it to a fellow worker etc. I'd get the 660 with a shorter [24/25"] bar for when you feel you want it and keep the 460 with 32" bar for your main usage. You may even prefer the heavier unit with shorter bar for some jobs.

Keep it in the [Stihl] family and swap your bars if need be.

If you want a dedicated limber, I guess the 50cc class screamer would be light and zippy. But I think your 460 will excel there too.

JMO FWIW [anything?]

Pardon my ignorance, but why do you want another saw?

If you want a companion to your 460 because it may be in the shop or want to lend it to a fellow worker etc. I'd get the 660 with a shorter [24/25"] bar for when you feel you want it and keep the 460 with 32" bar for your main usage. You may even prefer the heavier unit with shorter bar for some jobs.

Keep it in the [Stihl] family and swap your bars if need be.

If you want a dedicated limber, I guess the 50cc class screamer would be light and zippy. But I think your 460 will excel there too.

JMO FWIW [anything?]

Not ignorant, you pose some very realistic questions!!!
A little catch up for those not in the know:

Here is where I am at, I used a Husky 350 for years and it did everything I asked of it. I wanted something larger so I bought a Stihl MS390, it was great!!! But the first tree it wasn't large enough and I had to hire a guy to stump it for me. I picked up a Husky 262xp at a sale, LOVED it!!! But had nothing but relability issues with it. It did however run circles around my 390, and was lighter. I ended up selling the 262 and 390, I bought the 046BB woods port, and got a 346xp. I LOVE the 046, bu have yet to run the 346 and be even close to happy!!!

So, do I get the light, nimble 5100 and hope it will do what the 346 was suposed to do, get a 361, a little more weight, go gonzo with the 7900, or just get it done with the 880?
The 660 is pretty much out with me, the 046 does that job with less weight, and yes it screams!!! But the fuel usage is high, and it's overkill for most of what I cut.
Does that help any?

I would look at the 361. It is nimble, and with a 16 to 24 inch bar it can cut wood. I was running mine cutting 18 inch diameter oak firewood today. I probably cut up about half a cord (one face cord or rick) on one tank of gas (including curly fries splitting of the bigger rounds). It is finally broken in after about 20+ tanks of gas. Gets up to speed and runs through the wood. No stalls, starts easy, no need to tweek the carb (that seems to be an issue with Dollies), no issues other than sharpening chains, blowing off the air filter, and filling it with gas and oil. No problems. I run it with an ES bar and RM chain. I would rate the 361 as a '460-light.' Not the raw power of the 460 to motor through huge logs, but it also does not have the weight or bulk, or vibration. It is flexible with spring mounts, but I do not find that to be a problem. I can lean on it, but it prefers to be let to do the cutting at its own pace in hardwood. In softwood, it is a breeze. I bogged it down maybe 2 times today. I could bog my 460 down too though. Probably about the same power as a 390, but not as heavy or hard to run all day. My hands are not tingling now. If I had used the 290 today, they would be.

If you wanna go bigger, the 7900 seems to be the dog's ballacks.

Not ignorant, you pose some very realistic questions!!!
A little catch up for those not in the know:

Here is where I am at, I used a Husky 350 for years and it did everything I asked of it. I wanted something larger so I bought a Stihl MS390, it was great!!! But the first tree it wasn't large enough and I had to hire a guy to stump it for me. I picked up a Husky 262xp at a sale, LOVED it!!! But had nothing but relability issues with it. It did however run circles around my 390, and was lighter. I ended up selling the 262 and 390, I bought the 046BB woods port, and got a 346xp. I LOVE the 046, bu have yet to run the 346 and be even close to happy!!!

So, do I get the light, nimble 5100 and hope it will do what the 346 was suposed to do, get a 361, a little more weight, go gonzo with the 7900, or just get it done with the 880?
The 660 is pretty much out with me, the 046 does that job with less weight, and yes it screams!!! But the fuel usage is high, and it's overkill for most of what I cut.
Does that help any?

Yes! Thank you. I read the thread linked in your signature line too. And I see the GO ECHO!!! thing had already been done :deadhorse:

Excerpts below:

The thing about the 7900 is not just the hp. It's the powerband. Comes right off of idle strong already. Powerband is so flat it makes me grin even though I've been running two for about a year.

And way smoother in the cut than a 460. (No flaming please,the 460 is a great saw for sure.)

Don't know about right off of idle but it seems to have a very flat top end Torque curve (spec.s, I've not run one), the displacement would cover the bottom end in moderate sized wood though anyway. Sounds like a real screamer with displacement if that's what you want. Probably like the 460 stock, but with a stronger top end. Would cut 14" very well no doubt!

WELP, the 5100 would be a nice little saw, nimble and powerful.
The 361 is a flawless performer, and just about the right size for what I am thinking about.

5100: similar performance curves as 7900 with less displacement. Top end saw.

361: as above, except 460 (not 7900). A little more lugging ability.

Nothing against the 440 and 372's, but I'd rather have the 7900. Problem with the 7900 is I already have the 046BB, and do I need two saws that size? But the 7900 is a lot lighter, and that is appealing to me:)

70cc class is probably perfect if you want less fuel consumption, manouverability, and enough power.

7900 & 046BB probably is quite similar. You said yours was a screamer, so I believe is the 7900. And that the porting makes it similar in Power as 660 though I would not think the same in lugging ability as 660.

The 880, well it's just the WOW factor, put on an 18" bar, and trees will fall in sheer fear!!!

IF the 660 or even 650 modified is out; I like the sound of this approach! Your call though.

Now, not sure about the practicality of this, but the 346 on alchy, or nitromethatne? with a pipe, that might be fun!!
Or.............................???????????????????????????

Not my cup of tea.

And that is part of the conudrum!!! I want a small light powerful saw and without having something built, I am not finding it unless I get something much larger.

I think a bigger thirstier saw gets the job done much faster and with much more satisfaction if your'e up to it. Production is about getting in and out with time for the next job. Not saving a litre of fuel.

Sounds like what you've got is perfect! If the 046BB is big enough for any task go smaller. If it's not, go bigger!!

My suggestions:

460 stock (future parts maybe)

880 stock (with shorter bar)

But it's your'e call, I wouldn't go on a poll alone.:D

:laugh: [where's that rep Lakeside53]:laugh:

5100: similar performance curves as 7900 with less displacement. Top end saw.

361: as above, except 460 (not 7900). A little more lugging ability.

Nothing wrong with the top-end of the 361, and it accellerates really fast - at least mine do - perfect for limbing....:rockn: :rockn:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back