Ported my first saw - 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
First I want to say thank you to everybody on this forum. Everything I've learned from porting came from the people on this forum. Special thanks to countryhunter79 as well! I've been playing 200 questions with him throughout this entire process.

So this is how the saw started other than the covers and the cylinder. It sat in a box and then a bucket like this for about a year or two.

Fast forward to running condition. This is an 18" bar in thorny locust.

Little grinding, little muffler mod, advanced the timing a hair.

Then we get to where we are tonight. Same log, same bar, same chain.

Uploaded the videos to YouTube so they are easier to view. You learn something new all the time, lol.

Good for you! Glad you took the leap and had a positive experience. What's next?

I think so. The first two cuts I timed at 20.3 and 22.2 seconds. After porting I timed both cuts at 10.3 seconds on the same log, same bar and chain. I'm very pleased with how it turned out.
Did you degree wheel it?
That is an impressive gain in cut times...

Ye
Did you degree wheel it?
That is an impressive gain in cut times...
Your first cut looks awfully slow.

Was there something wrong with the saw before you tore it down?

What kind of timing numbers did you go with?

Base gasket delete?

There was nothing wrong with the saw that I know of. I literally made the test cuts, then took it in the garage and started tearing it down to port it. I was shooting for 20-30% gain. I ended up at 97 exhaust, 117, on transfers, widened all ports, lowered exhaust to match the top of the piston at BDC, lowered the floor of the intake about 1/16" or so, made a thinner base gasket to set squish at .020, matched the muffler to the exhaust port, opened the muffler as far as I felt comfortable, and shaved about 1/4 of the flywheel key to advance timing. The only other differences are the ambient temperature outside. The first set of cuts were made when it was about 40 degrees, the second set when it was 20 degrees. I can post pictures of the muffler etc. later. I've been really busy thus week, but really excited to finish this thing and try it out. Didn't stop to take as many pictures.

Sweet.
What all tools would you use doing something like this?
Not that my 026 needs more power, but more is always better right?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Good job. I remember my first port job, I was a flying by the seat of my britches as I didn't use a degree wheel. Mine also had huge improvements.
P.S. I love your forum name.... Ya must be as country as corn.

Latest posts

Back