Porting an 090

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the 090AV that Lawrence, AKA(Petesoldsaw)sent me from B.C., from now on I will call him." Lawrence the Enabler".

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%20944.jpg

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%20938.jpg

090av

Hi Jerry, You know, I have seen that monster somewhere before.Oh now I remember! Congratulations Jerry!
Lawrence
P.S. How does that baby run?

Hi Jerry, You know, I have seen that monster somewhere before.Oh now I remember! Congratulations Jerry!
Lawrence
P.S. How does that baby run?

Well I fired it up today for the first time since its arrival last week. There was not even a smell of gas in that tank so you must have vaccumed it out. It fired on the third pull with the choke on and I got the choke in before it stalled, it runs superb. Absolutely no issues with this one. I even took the airfilter out and it was absolutely clean, did you clean this saw up before you shipped it to me?
Pioneerguy600

I do not have a 10 cube 090 but have a few of the regular models. Two are modified. One has a removable head and pipe. Modified is better than stock. I do have a 10 cube West Bend (Horstman stroker). Mike

Is there any concerns with running the stock crank say a thousand rpm over what is stated for max rpm from the factory? I only want to do a woods port on the newer AV saw before putting it into a wood cutting project I have in mind for this winter.
Pioneerguy600

And to think, Lawrence and I were trading Pioneer's for Remington's!!! I didn't know that monster was on the block:jawdrop:
Congrats Jerry, glad to see Lawrence knew where a good home for that saw could be found........although.....in future.....lets shuttle ship them thru my place. I would have washed it for ya:greenchainsaw:

Drew

I'll be watching this. If it works well I'm going to throw a couple bucks at my parts friend for a second 090 cylinder to play with. Can't say I've worked with wood big enough to really necessitate a ported 090 though... :) Mine doesn't even slow down with its 33" bar totally buried. That 60" is another story though!

And to think, Lawrence and I were trading Pioneer's for Remington's!!! I didn't know that monster was on the block:jawdrop:
Congrats Jerry, glad to see Lawrence knew where a good home for that saw could be found........although.....in future.....lets shuttle ship them thru my place. I would have washed it for ya:greenchainsaw:

Drew

You know what, I never thought of that, you are somewhat in the middle between both coasts so if you like I can send all the saws I buy out that way and even the ones from Washington to your place. You can have all the fun of washing and cleaning them up, try them out and then ship them off to me with a full report on all necessary work required or not. LOL. Thanks Drew.
Pioneerguy600 :cheers:

Jerry's 090AV

Well I fired it up today for the first time since its arrival last week. There was not even a smell of gas in that tank so you must have vaccumed it out. It fired on the third pull with the choke on and I got the choke in before it stalled, it runs superb. Absolutely no issues with this one. I even took the airfilter out and it was absolutely clean, did you clean this saw up before you shipped it to me?
Pioneerguy600

Jerry,I did a quick wipe down,put a little elbow grease to the helper end(stinger),and thats it.?you know I can't remember if I even took the filter cover off.
Lawrence

Drew

Drew,I would have loved to keep that saw for myself,but it was just to rich for my blood.When I shipped the saw to Jerry.I told the post office stay clear of Alberta. LOL!
Lawrence

I'll be watching this. If it works well I'm going to throw a couple bucks at my parts friend for a second 090 cylinder to play with. Can't say I've worked with wood big enough to really necessitate a ported 090 though... :) Mine doesn't even slow down with its 33" bar totally buried. That 60" is another story though!

Brad,you will need that big saw if you ever move to Bella Coola!
Lawrence

Well you know what they say, do it because you can. I may not ever need the extra power but I can port about any cylinder with timed ports so its only a natural progression.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry,I did a quick wipe down,put a little elbow grease to the helper end(stinger),and thats it.?you know I can't remember if I even took the filter cover off.
Lawrence

Well for a used work saw its afully clean, hardly a particle of sawdust anywherebut I can tell that it was not powerwashed or any solvents used to clean it up. The dry cedar it was used in must not have much pitch in that type of wood. Hardly a trace of bar oil anywhere under the covers either.
Pioneerguy600

Well simple questions sometimes require complex answers. The crank on the oldest 090s were not counterweighted with enough weight to stop vibration. Those first ones were fearsome on white knuckle. Then they put a flat spot on the weight and bolted or glued (some kind of early epoxy I think). The bolted ones seemed the best so I don't worry about high RPM with them. The glued are a concern but I still run them up (12,500 to 13,000).
Now that I wrote all this down I can't be sure if I got some of this mixed up with the 125 Mcs. Well JJ will be along to straighten me out. One thing sure is Ken Dunn and I ran them up to high RPM and they never blew. Mike

Well simple questions sometimes require complex answers. The crank on the oldest 090s were not counterweighted with enough weight to stop vibration. Those first ones were fearsome on white knuckle. Then they put a flat spot on the weight and bolted or glued (some kind of early epoxy I think). The bolted ones seemed the best so I don't worry about high RPM with them. The glued are a concern but I still run them up (12,500 to 13,000).
Now that I wrote all this down I can't be sure if I got some of this mixed up with the 125 Mcs. Well JJ will be along to straighten me out. One thing sure is Ken Dunn and I ran them up to high RPM and they never blew. Mike

Thanks very much for that info, I have actually ran my older saw up to 10,000 for short periods in the cut under load with the govenor disabled. With what I can see these saws should be ok running around this rpm. Would like to be able to keep the rpm up in the cut so a little porting may help. A couple of finger ports thrown in for good measure.
Pioneerguy600

Jerry...

I'm going to be watching this thread with tremendous interest. I don't plan on porting either of my 090s but I have already learned a few things from this post.

Thanks to you and the other posters.

Jerry...

I'm going to be watching this thread with tremendous interest. I don't plan on porting either of my 090s but I have already learned a few things from this post.

Thanks to you and the other posters.

You have a couple of nice 090`s , the latest arrival came from the same locality as your last one, not exactly the same village but the same coast. I may do my older saw first, it has real good comp so it should produce just as good results.
Pioneerguy600

Latest posts

Back