Porting Muffler On Stihl 044 Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlRockin'

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Ok, before someone tells me to check the search and do my due-diligence, I will do that. LOL!

My question is how much difference in performance should I expect if I port the muffler on an 044?

I'm not a saw mechanic. I only run them... and run them well.
icon10.gif
LOL! How can increased performance be quantified? Can porting the muffler on my 044 give me noticeable difference? If so, how? Increase in horsepower? How much? 10%? 5%? Increased speed?

Will the enhanced performance be that when I fire up my saw and start bucking wood, my first reaction will be "Woah!...this thing is rockin'!" ?? LOL!

I did some reading on porting which only amounted to a few minutes, so that will be next, but it would be nice to see if someone ported their 044 and felt if it were worth it?

Thanks,

StihlRockin'

15-20% drop in cut times depending on what you do a dualport cover is available at your stihl dealer. Richen up the carb a tad afterwords.
If you end up wanting to port your saw you can send it to a saw builder and $250.00 later you will have a woods ported saw. If you want to attempt it yourself read read read read and just set your squish widen the ports a little and don't raise the exhaust port too much. I ported my 260 and the differance is like night and day between stock.

Last edited:
Hmm? An increased performance from a 260? Interesting. I just got a great... no, super conditioned 026 Pro and never thought doing a muffler-mod on a smaller saw like that would make a difference. Looks like I'm wrong there and have much learning to do!

Thanks for the reply.

StihlRockin'

You can expect a noticeable improvement in rpms and torque 'if' you buy the modified muffler cover or do it yourself, even by drilling some holes in the muffler cover. EPA has caused manufacturers to be aware of noise and fuel pollution, so the muffler exhaust port on newer saws is much smaller than the cylinder exhaust port. Soooo what you essentially have is a 'Jake Brake' with the muffler creating too much back pressure on the engine. If you open up the muffler exhaust to about 80% of that of the cylinder exhaust port (some will say more or less), you can see a noticeable difference in rpms and torque, after you retune the carb. It will also be noticeably noisier too. Do a search on muffler mods and you will find pictures of where people have drilled three holes in the muffler on the one extreme, to some really neat looking ported mufflers with protective screens at the other end of modification. All my saws have muffler mods as a minimum.

I gave dave & w.tx some reputa', but could...

NOT for 2000ssm6 because it said he is BANNED.

Wonder why is he banned? Looks like he contributed a lot to this site looking at the number of posts he has. You been misbehavin' 2000ssm6?
icon10.gif
Hope it's only a 1-dayer!

Thanks for the replies guys! Like always, you've been helpful. I called about the dual ported muffler covers, but have to hear back from the guy after he calls in about them.

StihlRockin'

Last edited:
Have another question!...

I called the Stihl dealer and they have dual port covers for my 044 and 066mag. The 044 is $30 and the 066mag is $45.

I'm not sure if I have this right, but I saw one ad on the internet that I can get a custom port job on my muffler for something like $80.

If I can get a dual port from Stihl for $45 and a custom job costs $80, why would I go get the custom job? Am I missing something here? Maybe a dual port cover is not the same as getting a muffler customized?

Can someone offer some info on this?

StihlRockin'

Welcome to the site StihlRockin'!

Like Lake says, go get that DP cover, retune your H adjustment appropriately and go cuttin'.:chainsaw:

That's a good start, search the site and read up, lot's to learn from the folks here. Next you'll want to start your own moddin' and rebuilding old hulks scavenged from dealer's scrap piles...............

...Next you'll want to start your own moddin' and rebuilding old hulks scavenged from dealer's scrap piles...............

I have a long history of when I get into something... I REALLY get into it. Case in point: Been in the industry since the early 80's, but am just really getting to appreciate it. I bought 7 saws in the last 30 days!

I'm a rookie welder and was already thinkin' of tinkerin' with modding a muffler or two! Uh oh, I think I gots da fever now.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm loving it.

StihlRockin'

Latest posts

Back