Nor Cal & North SF Bay GTG (November 11-14, 2022)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PB010180_zps65603ce6.jpg

PB010179_zpsc3172c01.jpg

Now how the hell do I start this thing?

I gotta tell you all what happened after I left Sunday. It's been a hell of a ride. After dumping that tree into the picnic tables -- surely somebody has a pic -- I was feeling pretty stupid, but at least I had a long drive ahead of me to put that to rest, as well as getting over busting the crank on my 064. Alas, it worked out a bit differently. About 40 miles north of Calistoga, I lost the water pump in my car. It had just gotten dark, and there was no cell reception. So, slowly, and between cycles of overheat-shut off-cool-repeat, I limped back to the last town with a motel, Middletown (Middleton?) to await business hours Monday morning. It was a dingy room, but more than satisfactory for my purposes. In the morning, I started calling around to figure out my options. Repairs would be about a grand and would take at least three days (Subaru water pumps are driven by the timing belt and require semimajor surgery to get to). Eventually I rented a Uhaul truck and trailer. That was about a grand, too, but at least I was moving. Turns out the trailer was in a different town from the truck, so I had to do some driving around. This is where the tale turns literally crappy. Remember that thing your wise old dad told you about "never trust a fart"? Well, I gambled and lost. Right there in the Uhaul rental office. I cleaned myself up as well as possible, but, of course, I'd already checked out of my motel so a shower was hours away. It was a rather unpleasant drive. Lost the screw on my glasses, too! Just got home a couple of hours ago. All's well, everything is paid for, and I'm starting to wish I had a camera crew with me the WHOLE time because this would have been a pretty decent short documentary.

Nice looking Mac. Now tell me that's not the one on Craigslist in Arcata that I wanted to buy about a month ago?

did you not have the t belt and pump done not that long ago.? ranger next time eh.

Timing belt was done about 30K ago. Pump was not replaced at the time. Lesson learned. Drove the Subaru for the better mileage and the cruise control. Definitely the Ranger next time.

I never heard him say a word. He just picked up that maul and swung it all day long.

Yes he did. He didn't have to say anything, his work spoke for him. LOL...if anybody could wear out a maul he probably could.
I don't think there are enough pictures...or recognition...of the guys that pitched in and did the grunt work. Splitting, feeding the chipper and raking might not be as glamorous as falling and bucking but it's just as valuable a contribution.

Nate - sorry about all that bad luck, but LOL! I got home late last night after visiting Bill and picking up the parts you gave m. A big thanks again for helping me get a couple of old Macs running and to Bill for bringing them back.

Bill gave me the run-down of the weekend. I'm sorry I missed it. I got back from the east coast Tuesday afternoon in time to vote and thn back to work the rest of the week. I haven't traveled or worked a weekend in months and it had to hit this weekend.

After Bill told me about the weekend I couldn't wait to check the board. My wife was asking me what was so funny because I was laughing so hard. You know how to tell a story.

Keep me posted on the next GTG. I am interested ion the Pacific NW GTG if you have one in 2015.

Bob

I gotta tell you all what happened after I left Sunday. It's been a hell of a ride. After dumping that tree into the picnic tables -- surely somebody has a pic -- I was feeling pretty stupid, but at least I had a long drive ahead of me to put that to rest, as well as getting over busting the crank on my 064. Alas, it worked out a bit differently. About 40 miles north of Calistoga, I lost the water pump in my car. It had just gotten dark, and there was no cell reception. So, slowly, and between cycles of overheat-shut off-cool-repeat, I limped back to the last town with a motel, Middletown (Middleton?) to await business hours Monday morning. It was a dingy room, but more than satisfactory for my purposes. In the morning, I started calling around to figure out my options. Repairs would be about a grand and would take at least three days (Subaru water pumps are driven by the timing belt and require semimajor surgery to get to). Eventually I rented a Uhaul truck and trailer. That was about a grand, too, but at least I was moving. Turns out the trailer was in a different town from the truck, so I had to do some driving around. This is where the tale turns literally crappy. Remember that thing your wise old dad told you about "never trust a fart"? Well, I gambled and lost. Right there in the Uhaul rental office. I cleaned myself up as well as possible, but, of course, I'd already checked out of my motel so a shower was hours away. It was a rather unpleasant drive. Lost the screw on my glasses, too! Just got home a couple of hours ago. All's well, everything is paid for, and I'm starting to wish I had a camera crew with me the WHOLE time because this would have been a pretty decent short documentary.

I took a couple pic's.

Latest posts

Back