Post Pictures of Big Trees!!!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sizzle-Chest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'll kick things off with a few . . .

1st one is biggest cottonwood in the nation(+9ft DBH, 158ft tall). . .and my wife

2nd one is biggest douglas fir in oregon (329ft tall, +11ft DBH)

3rd one is just a wacky maple tree i found (27ft DBH . . . ;) )

4th one is yer average redwood with my wife in red at the bottom

5th one is second largest sitka spruce tree in oregon (15.5ft DBH, 182ft tall)

Where was the redwood pic taken? Just curious I grew up, and live around the Russian river still some big ones left.

NORMZILLA44 said:
Where was the redwood pic taken? Just curious I grew up, and live around the Russian river still some big ones left.

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar enough with the area to tell you where it is. I can tell you that its somewhere near fern canyon if that means anything to you. And maybe I remember the name Prarie Creek or something, but we stopped at a lot of groves so, thats the best i got.

Here's some Redwoods from "Roy's Redwoods" Where George filmed the speeder bike scenes in Star Wars. The Bay is a funky one with the rift.
D

Tom, thanks for the compliments, but I dont know what your talking about with the disguise. thats my real facial hair. . . :rolleyes:

I dont think the big fir is near the oregon caves. its sorta off in the middle of nowhere. took me a while to find. I bushwacked around there for a while, heres a couple more pictures from that trip. It was the most amazing stand of old growth i ever seen in oregon

For our area (West Texas) this is pretty big. 5'6" DBH.

Started making firewood out of the dead stuff the other day.

BTW, that is West Texas standing by it.

Locoweed said:
For our area (West Texas) this is pretty big. 5'6" DBH.

Started making firewood out of the dead stuff the other day.

BTW, that is West Texas standing by it.

nice pictures, that looks pretty massive. was that on your property?

Re Locoweed's pictures of the big Oak in West Texas. We knibbled one huge arm of that tree down today; and, then started cutting it up to put in a splitter for firewood. Won't be too long, and we'll have all the dead limbs down. But they are large and dangerous, to take down with only a chainsaw. Would be nice to have some of that heavy equipment you 'pros' have at your disposal.

Last edited:
Sizzle-Chest said:
I'm sorry but I'm not familiar enough with the area to tell you where it is. I can tell you that its somewhere near fern canyon if that means anything to you. And maybe I remember the name Prarie Creek or something, but we stopped at a lot of groves so, thats the best i got.

prairie creek and fern canyon are both in northern california in northern humboldt county on the coast just north of the town of orick. I just drove through prairie creek redwood state park today on my way home from oregon theres some big trees there. also where i live in southern humboldt county next to the humboldt redwoods state park there are some massive trees.

Sizz, If the snow holds off I'll snap a digi-pic of the largest Lodgepole(not White Pine, snicker) in the world. It's close to Bend but we're busy and it's about a forty mile drive the other direction. Perhaps you've been there? Seems you're up on these things.

hey JP, i looked into it, and it appears there are two lodgepoles that share the champion title, one in grant county and the other in deschutes. i found a crappy picture of the one in grant, but im guessing your talking about the other one since your near bend. do snap a pic, i would be very interested in seeing it. have you ever seen the biggest pondarosa pine in La Pine? I havent, but i hear its a dussy! here's that picture of one of the lodgepoles

Sizz, yes, I've seen the Ponderosa near LaPine. It's in bad shape, might not make another winter/spring cycle. The Lodgepole, aren't all trees you and I talk about Lodgepole from now on? gaffaw. The big Lodgepole behind Pine Mountain is a tree to behold. Limby sucker though, it'd roll for a mile if you fell it. Limbs/girth are part of the equation used for a "big" tree. Sad in my book. I'll do my best to get out there in the next week or so. It's a short hike and I need new snowshoes. Santa listening?

Some more trees from the northwest

Here is a picture of my dad cutting one of the biggest Douglas Fir, it was bhd14'8". The other ones are some that I cut in 2002 at Lake Quinault, WA.

Here's some photos of our Christmas walk up Gold Hill. I see some big swings.
Goliath Eucalyptus. The wind was blowing and the sticks were creaking with the sways. I think I'll climb them with a friend rather than alone.
D.

great pics TJ. Bodean, do you have any bigger size pics of those last you posted. i really want to see them, but i cant make anything out in those pictures.

Does this look better? I am really learning my camera and corresponding programs still.

The wind was insane.
The city has been phasing out the stand with W.U.I money and the local Marin Conservation Corp.

don't even know if these are big in comparison to say Australia..

There is an insane amount of deadwood in the tops. The snags are just as tall and menacing, but dead. When the wind blows it really gets your cockles going.

There are some other huge ones overgrowing southbound 101. I really want to climb them. I'm scared to jar, dislodge deadwood or something into traffic. Being an adult is different when Mr. Liability knocks on your door.

D

Latest posts

Back