Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving your firewood from inside a heated cab?! Nice man!
i still have to load the boxes every two weeks or so. i only have two made at the time. i burn through roughly 12-14 cord a year so i spend a lot of time preparing firewood. ill snap some pictures of the log piles i bring home from jobs next trip up the hill. it got too dark yesterday

i still have to load the boxes every two weeks or so. i only have two made at the time. i burn through roughly 12-14 cord a year so i spend a lot of time preparing firewood. ill snap some pictures of the log piles i bring home from jobs next trip up the hill. it got too dark yesterday

One day I'll have a setup like that. I'll split and stack onto pallet-crib things, and then not touch the wood until it goes inside my house.

I just need a few things first. Like a tractor. And a woodshed that I can drive said tractor into. And a house. Then I'll be all set

Just getting into this loving how good the exercise is for me split and stacked this in four hours over two nights. Have been hand splitting for a good year now only just kept up through winter as its our first year hear but getting a good stockpile going now (midsummer). Could have kept going tonight but was getting dark. Learned the other night not to wear shorts when splitting my shins copped a bit heh. Nothing like productive hard work to make a guy feel satisfied. Learned pretty much everything I know from this forum and getting out there and doing it.002 (Large).JPG

That's nice for drying having that corn field behind it. Lots of air flow

I know it that the corn would eliminate some air flow once it gets to a certain height. But it is only about 3 months out of the year and next year it will be beans. So raelly only an issue 3 months every two years. But it really is the only space I have.

A number of things impress me from photos like that:
- HOW did they stack them that high without a crane*?
- WHY did they stack them that high?
- WHO thought that it would be a good idea to pull sleds that top heavy (certainly not the horses!) ?
- The logs are chained together now, but were they secured at each level while stacking?
- Is the guy at the top why workers' compensation insurance was invented?

*I know that they used swing arms and pulleys to lift the logs, but it would seem a lot saner to break that into 2 or 3 loads for handling, curves, trail wear, stopping, unloading, etc. Wonder if this was standard practice or done for the photo op?

Philbert

A number of things impress me from photos like that:
- HOW did they stack them that high without a crane*?
- WHY did they stack them that high?
- WHO thought that it would be a good idea to pull sleds that top heavy (certainly not the horses!) ?
- The logs are chained together now, but were they secured at each level while stacking?
- Is the guy at the top why workers' compensation insurance was invented?

*I know that they used swing arms and pulleys to lift the logs, but it would seem a lot saner to break that into 2 or 3 loads for handling, curves, trail wear, stopping, unloading, etc. Wonder if this was standard practice or done for the photo op?

Philbert
From what I know they usually stacked about half that high.

Sleigh roads were almost perfectly flat (several hills around our hunting cabin have sleigh road beds trenched right through them-easier for men with shovels to move a hill than move hundreds of loads over the hill). The roads were iced over and the horses had shoes with fairly good sized spikes for traction. So as long as the load was lashed it didnt take much efford to move across ice.

Back