Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a chance for what?

oh to pull those logs.
2 Belgian horses can pull up to 32,000 pounds together but these are not Belgians. That being said those are horses that are bred to pull, fed the highest quality of feed and are treated like olympic athletes. Back in the day horses such as those in the photo were fed straight hay and or oats. There was no selective breeding and no supplements. Also looking at the photos they look like diluted mix of draft and cart horse. I do like the photo and have it pinned up at the barn as a funny as if pic.

fc33f0c042a2c03d0ffb5757b546ad78.jpg

The bigger logs are made to boards whith a slabbing mill.
a99e6ad2d43abf3e3daf64cadbc6256d.jpg

When I use the hakki pilke oh 60 straight in the big bags!
For spring this year i get to fill my big tipp hanger (ca10x5x5foot) and deliver it direktly.

This is a pile I've been building on my hunting land. There is only about 4 acres that is thickly wooded. It's cut off from the rest of the land by a bayou. An old oxbow of the Wolf River. I can only get to it on some winters. Usually there is too much snow to haul wood with my ATV. This year has been perfect. It was flooded just enough that some of the rough spots are iced over solid and there hasn't been that much snow. I can actually drive my truck right down and park it on the bayou. I just haul it up to the edge of the flood zone. It can sit there until I have time to haul it home on my big trailer.20150131_161012.jpg

I've been working on it about a day out of every weekend.

This is a pile I've been building on my hunting land. There is only about 4 acres that is thickly wooded. It's cut off from the rest of the land by a bayou. An old oxbow of the Wolf River. I can only get to it on some winters. Usually there is too much snow to haul wood with my ATV. This year has been perfect. It was flooded just enough that some of the rough spots are iced over solid and there hasn't been that much snow. I can actually drive my truck right down and park it on the bayou. I just haul it up to the edge of the flood zone. It can sit there until I have time to haul it home on my big trailer.View attachment 400018

I've been working on it about a day out of every weekend.

Y'all have Bayous way up there, ha!

fc33f0c042a2c03d0ffb5757b546ad78.jpg

The bigger logs are made to boards whith a slabbing mill.
a99e6ad2d43abf3e3daf64cadbc6256d.jpg

When I use the hakki pilke oh 60 straight in the big bags!
For spring this year i get to fill my big tipp hanger (ca10x5x5foot) and deliver it direktly.
Is that a splitter for the mini on the ground? If so how big of a round will that machine handle?

Yes, it originally had wheels! 25 ton pressure. Havent tryed it mounted yet but beleve this is better when diameter is 20" and back acking. Oak and other big hard wood is better to slab mill, birck is the preffered firewood here
50c405c376cddc918dce1077c93b3af9.jpg
this is the label..

2015.JPG
My friend and I cut a couple of truckloads each of some smaller red oak and pecan and a trailer load each of these larger red oak rounds over the weekend. This is my half of it waiting to be split! We also have the rest of the pecan tree in large rounds we still need to go back to pick up. Not bad for a half day Saturday (ran into saw troubles) and a full day Sunday. We had also cut up two truckloads of red oak last weekend which we split Friday before going out there to get this over the weekend.

I've got three piles out in the woods so far, all on pallets. One pile is seasoned, I started it last year, and it's been uncovered and out in the open. The wood seems to burn just fine even though it's exposed to the elements. The "elements" have gotten severe, no power on tuesday, big ice storm monday, cold and beautiful today with a bit of snow on top of the ice.

pile 1.JPG pile 2.JPG pile 3.JPG

I had this thread subscribed, but it has been quiet for awhile. I didn't have much of a pile since I just started to burn in 2014. I have been working on splitting what I scrounged during the winter now. The area behind my garden I had transplanted some bushes, but ended up not using them. I need to get those out and fill in the hole and move a rock pile. I rented a dingo and cleared it out. Now I could start stacking on pallets.

6afb8288e69e103aca3b9b64dfb612ec.jpg

First row of pallets. My wood for burning this coming season is on the far right going the other direction. Once I use this up I am going to slap one more pallet down with another end to have all my rows going that way.
6c7b94ae3aba8f9020d749b40ad30987.jpg

14" seems to be ideal for my Enviro Cabello 1200. So the middle row on the pallet I am stacking chunks and weird pieces.

fa772be52b7a4e4dfe1981732a8aef22.jpg

Now I just have all the bark and scraps to cleanup, sort through the leftover pallets and plant some grass. The stack along the north property line is for a neighbor. Hope to be at the magic 3 year plan for myself.
Looking east small.jpg North east wide small.jpg East small.jpgSouth east wide small.jpg South stack small.jpg

Attachments

• South stack small.jpg
    South stack small.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 27
Back