Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out in the woodpile today and figured I would take a couple pictures for giggles.

At the log pile with what I want to cut pulled down on the stringers. Logs are 100".

4 cuts.

Split the pieces that needed it and stacked everything. Re-loaded the stringers and 4 more cuts.

This row and half of the little house on the end are a total of 14 bucking cuts. 8 today and 6 from Wednesday. There was no row and half of the end when I started Wednesday.

Wednesday left my low back a little sore so I went smaller today. I actually think I am going to stick with the smaller length from now on.

Got some free maple from a tree guy. I have one more trip to make.
DSCN4275_zps9dntrjhr.jpg
DSCN4265_zps3kwftbb1.jpg
DSCN4270_zpsf5letqir.jpg

New Temporary wood rack for the half-cord of Green Ash that I cut and split last year. Moisture reads at 9.5-10.5 %.
The newly split Sugar Maple, White Elm and Red Oak takes up the two racks behind it and two more opposite side of my downstairs entrance for a total of two cords.
The Oak, Elm and Maple need to season for one or two years yet. (their moisture is at about 25-34% right now)
All in all, this year I only have about two cords of dry, seasoned wood to burn, mostly Silver Maple and White Birch with that half cord of Green Ash.
I only burn the wood stove for shoulder seasons so I should have enough, but I hope the new Drolet HT2000 wood stove is a good and efficient burner so it'll make the wood last longer maybe.
It should arrive by November. I can't wait for a good stove, finally.
IMG_20150812_062111208[1].jpg

New Temporary wood rack for the half-cord of Green Ash that I cut and split last year. Moisture reads at 9.5-10.5 %.
The newly split Sugar Maple, White Elm and Red Oak takes up the two racks behind it and two more opposite side of my downstairs entrance for a total of two cords.
The Oak, Elm and Maple need to season for one or two years yet. (their moisture is at about 25-34% right now)
All in all, this year I only have about two cords of dry, seasoned wood to burn, mostly Silver Maple and White Birch with that half cord of Green Ash.
I only burn the wood stove for shoulder seasons so I should have enough, but I hope the new Drolet HT2000 wood stove is a good and efficient burner so it'll make the wood last longer maybe.
It should arrive by November. I can't wait for a good stove, finally.
View attachment 440753
Only shoulder season? What heats you during the winter?

Only shoulder season? What heats you during the winter?
I have bungalow chalet style house with open concept main floor so I heat the main floor with wood pellets and our Enviro Evolution wood pellet stove is a great, efficient heater.
I buy about 100-200 bags a year at $5/bag and I usually use about 120 bags for the whole heating season. She holds two and a half bags in the hopper and will run three days before refilling.
That works out to $600 a season and is a far cry lower than my buddy's house at over $2700 a season for oil.The house came with electric baseboard heat so I put the pellet stove in right away and the pay-back-period was less than two years. I'm very glad I did.
I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds, wood and wood pellet.
Love cutting and splitting my own firewood and selling the odd time, then love the ease and long burn times of the pellet stove too.
I'm a happy man.
Evolution 16_12_2014 (3).JPG LG softwood pellets Home Depot_Winter of 2014 (1).JPG

I have bungalow chalet style house with open concept main floor so I heat the main floor with wood pellets and our Enviro Evolution wood pellet stove is a great, efficient heater.
I buy about 100-200 bags a year at $5/bag and I usually use about 120 bags for the whole heating season. She holds two and a half bags in the hopper and will run three days before refilling.
That works out to $600 a season and is a far cry lower than my buddy's house at over $2700 a season for oil.The house came with electric baseboard heat so I put the pellet stove in right away and the pay-back-period was less than two years. I'm very glad I did.
I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds, wood and wood pellet.
Love cutting and splitting my own firewood and selling the odd time, then love the ease and long burn times of the pellet stove too.
I'm a happy man.
View attachment 440927 View attachment 440928

Well, that's cool! Just need to figure out a cheap way to make your own pellets, to get even more independent.

Well, that's cool! Just need to figure out a cheap way to make your own pellets, to get even more independent.
Ya, its a pain having to run around every year wondering who will have pellets and at what cost and when.
I've had some problems in the past with suppliers.
I even had a Home Depot tell me to leave some for others to buy and that they wouldn't sell me a hundred bags when they had 266 for sale in the store. LOL. Can you believe it? So I went on line from my smart phone right there in front of the Customer service staff member that told me that, and ordered and paid for them then asked her to kindly go get my pellets now.
I managed to pick up 60 bags already this month and with the 50 left over from last year I'm well on my way at filling my stash.

I didn't want to buy a log catcher so I built that. I was a little concerned using wood, but it has been solid and is slightly bigger then the speedco one. I van still go vertical if needed.

Shot of my splitting area. I used to split where i dropped it to ease up the carrying, but with the tractor now I can load in rounds and split in the open with my wood base to keep the fiskars out of the dirt.

you can just make out the splitting cookie of ash in the center.

Latest posts

Back