Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the picture of the manure spreader and before I looked to see where you are from thought "there's a good old boy from WI" Lots of old spreaders used for wood duty, they work well.

Load #1 going to the house.
44ea97ddae825efa9662ab0fbb7cf30c.jpg

Thanks, Brian

What's the rough math? 5 rows, 35 feet long, 6 feet high, 28 inch pieces roughly. Stacked nicely. That's my goal before it gets really crappy here come end of Dec. and some nights before then.

Brian

Total cords would be between 16.5 and 17 cords.
5X35X6X2/128
Okay thank you! I have estimated in the past that each one of those dump trailer loads yields roughly one cord and I have been thinking in my head I need about 15 loads. I think last year I did 14 and regretted not having one more come early May but it was brutal here in central MN in Feb. Burned wood like never before on that minus 30 stuff that stuck around for a couple weeks.

Brian

I like to back the splitter up to a big piece of wood or the stacked pile etc. This way as I sort through the pile I put the bigger stuff next to the splitter and once I have a pile there I split it up. This way the splitter cannot backup and the ram just pushes the split stuff further down away as in the photo. A very simple idea hit me to put the cheesy wheel chocks I have behind the splitter wherever I want it. Seems to work great. Probably late to the party on this idea but oh well.
0d7c5d00eb7f9dd64c0620df10ae7630.jpg

Brian

I posted some pics earlier from when I actually heated with wood. Ive since moved from the country into town, but couldn't give up splitting with a maul. My father in laws farm has this huge concrete slab that was unused for the most part so I decided to claen up a good sized corner to claim as my splitting area

This is my kindling, its ash and cedar cut at about 10"

Couple dump trailer loads of soft maple/ash. I don't usualy cut soft maple but these are from a small clearing job ive been working on

And a glory shot of the maul

Latest posts

Back