Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt I will ever be putting another building on my land unless I do a combination guest house/shop and that will need a permit.

But I hear a lot of folks "upgrade" existing buildings to get around the permitting. Literally turn a tool shed into a house sort of thing.

>Literally turn a tool shed into a house sort of thing

I think they call it: repurposing! ;)

Local Agricultural dealership bought the building (fairly big, at one time had a welding shop, another commercial office and living quarters upstairs) and lot next door to expand into. Wanted to tear down and build a new storage building. Problems with permitting led to the solution. Leave existing building and build new around and over it - then tear down the old. They did it that way. I don't know what the problem with doing it normally was.

Harry K

Many cities had ordinances like that... my dad and I rebuilt the garage when I was a teen by leaving the corner posts and roof and rebuilding the garage around those, then reframing the roof and re-roofing it. We spread it over three years, and the changes were considered "remodeling/improvements" that required no permit, unlike "new construction", which does. A few years later, they closed that loophole because so many people had caught onto the trick and were doing it. Building permits were based on a combination of costs and expected valuation, and were very expensive. The small town I live in now has very cheap permit costs, so I just pay for the permit on stuff that requires it. It is based on estimated construction costs, so for me, just the cost of materials. $25 for the first $1000 of costs, and $10 for each additional thousand in costs.

The old timers whine about it and get mad when they get caught building without getting the permit... if they only knew what a permit costs in the bigger cities!

I build building on my farm all the time with no permit but I'm in the middle of know where. Built my father inlaws barn right in town with no permit. Right on the side of main street. We used the old 24x32 slab and made it 42x32. 18 yards of concrete 2 foot think on a hill side. They put up the steel building in 2 days. Loop hole around here is if part of the buildings still there no permit needed. Now my work didn't poll permits in a suburb of Cleveland (north olmsted) and they tracked the opps call before you dig tickets and my winter consisted of digging up 9 jobs and having them inspected. And they shelled out around 10 grand in permit fee's.

perfect woodlot logging pix ops of splitting and stacking! like the sheds. am planning on making one or two, like ur open airiness! appears to be an ideal fall day to be out at the sawmill ops... lol :)

:yes:
these are not in view of anything - so simple - cheap - useful had top priority - think I have 150 bucks in each of them. 20x12x10 each - wrapped in heavy chicken wire so they get great air flow

Ooops, Ponderosa Pine, Any good for anything?.... it's a half acre
Sure it's good; it'l burn. Not as many btu as hardwood, but it keeps ya warm. I lived in Wyoming for a while and Ponderosa is all I could get my hands on.
Like any other wood cut ahead and let it season.

oak/basswood/ash and spruce.

I sure do like all the CSS firewood making pix... small ops to big ops... it's like $$ in the bank... can one ever get enough! ??? lol or like lil red ferrari converts... no matter what year, aren't they all just simply awesome... :yes:

bucksnbears bucking up them logs... and easily bearing up under the workload... :) good pix there... B&B!.....

I like it! :D

:drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back