Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally felt up to getting back to splitting. My knee hasn't healed as fast as anticipated.

95a098c997b9caa4deb11eb382c8d284.jpg

Sent from a field

nice pix! nice setup! nice ops! just perfect with lifter on tractor, too. nice tractor! gosh... golly gee... nice everything...

well ceptn' your knee... hope u heal soon...

White oak is what I have here. Very strong. Even the hydraulic splitter gives up on some so I just cookie them and win.

Brian

but your fiskars pops the chunk apart every time... how old is the oak? even old seasoned oak that is solid, gives me a fit with my axe or maul... I like hand splitting... farm life like in the 20's...

Regular long straight grained oak splits very easily.

I can put some fresh green into my splitter... and unless I coat everybody with lube... wont pop. not often, but some times... then I have to noodle first... then once released, the chunk, then piece a cake...

Yup. I prefer to split green wood. But as far as oak goes, sometimes it may take a couple of good hits in the same spot to pop it. Most of the time, just one good hit in a strategic location on the target. I look for natural cracks in the wood, and then I line it up and aim for that when I swing. The X27 splits by Ax speed. Not by weight, as it is very light weight. I think it is a 4 lb head.
I used to use a 6 lb and 8 lb maul, but now as I am getting older, I prefer the Fiskars X27. Its lighter and I can swing it all day long.

Hahaha I guess I coined a phrase lol. It definitely pays to have plenty of good food nearby when splitting by hand. My operation is mainly ran by elbow grease. The point for me is heating the house. I am currently finding pieces here and there to build a wood splitter, as going out and spending 1000 on one would no doubt defeat the purpose of saving money by burning.
Welcome to AS VT.
I'm about out of elbow grease, got any extra lol.
It's not necessary to spend 1000 on one.
Tell where your at in the great mitten state and I'll let you know when one comes up for sale cheap:yes:.
Or I can help set you up with the pieces to build what you want, just let me know :cheers:.

492b062ef7b07d5ece03d46e08de9c5c.jpg
8d8e0f81796069ee073a5b2d5bb885e1.jpg

A couple pics of my processing area. I'm still working on clearing out some trees and stumps to make it more user-friendly. I would really like to get the logs better organized for ease of processing but I had a big job at the end of the year and basically hauled it all in and dumped it. Then got busy with other projects.

3379703da012b4564c933f51f45694d5.jpg
27411d4aebc1820061a3d8573d75cef6.jpg
6d4f91260a6aac3e4660044096fa23df.jpg
ec797cb809475b5de3a7ec7d144ad78d.jpg
708e626fe7987dae17f22668e308b444.jpg

Here are few pics of my wood shed I built 3 years ago. I used dolomite for the base, so far it's working out very well. I also ran electric to it for lights and a plug in for the radio when I'm stocking.
07bee3914d1fbc9932948c1f6e69c418.jpg

The shed measures 14'x24' and I typically stack the wood as high as I can reach, I keep a small step ladder in there for the wife to be to use when she is stoking the stove. Yes my fiance likes helping me!! She's a REAL good woman!!
05dbeb6b94fc4b07e5c059ec0a7e1eb2.jpg
d8100d0876542e5d5e339d84bca8589c.jpg

Here's my other helper, mostly just chases chippers..
Welcome Woody, and a big ole wave from a another guy from the mitten state:hi:.
Yes Woody I've got you pegged as another Michigangster:cheers:(anywhere near m-57?).
Looks like you have a great setup there, and are lucky enough to have a "real woman", better hold on to her tight as they are hard to find:yes:.
It's a good thing you got that big chipper chaser protecting that nice stash of wood you got there. If I didn't already have more than I could handle I just might be using Google maps to track that pile down, that and the fact you got the chipper chaser:crazy2:.

good pix! good shed! good woman! good stash! :)

>Here's my other helper, mostly just chases chippers..

omg chipper1, you maybe best be on the lookout... it's woody's chipper chaser... lol ;)
I'm on it BL, thanks for the heads up:cheers:.

Depends on the oak. Red is usually good but I had some other oak my neighbor hauled home and it was like iron, split but took lots of hits. I think it was bur.

Most of my stash is black locust. That stuff splits like a dream but once in a while I will run into one tree in a stand that won't. Rarely several trees out of the same stand. I can see no difference between a round that will and the stubborn one that won't.

Welcome to AS VT.
I'm about out of elbow grease, got any extra lol.
It's not necessary to spend 1000 on one.
Tell where your at in the great mitten state and I'll let you know when one comes up for sale cheap:yes:.
Or I can help set you up with the pieces to build what you want, just let me know :cheers:.

Im out in macomb county in the southern part of the state. That would be sweet I'll take any help I can get.

Amen to that! I have a splitter but it only sees the tough stuff, stringy, knotty, crotch. I have something on the order of 80 cords in my stash, 90% done with a Fiskars X27. Of course that is a 20 year accumulation. I do around 12-14 cord/yr sellign about half.

80 cord! that is impressive. I think I am at 3 or 4 cord stacked, not including what I am bringing out of the woods from this winter. I burned a cord and a half this last winter since it was so mild and I was just learning how to burn. Seeing how much that was though, I know I need to get moving. I think if we had a real winter I would go thru 3 cord. When I come upon something that just wont budge I throw it into a separate pile and it goes to the Mother-in-law. she burns and uses like 6 cord. She also has a nice Timberwolf T-2 splitter that chuckles and the knarly pieces. :lol:

Regular long straight grained oak splits very easily.

Most of what I have gotten into is dead or dying red Oak. Splits almost as easy as White ash. American Beech on the other hand, Christ. That stuff fights you the whole way.

Back