Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup lots and lots of wolves there too unfortunately.

It really is a travesty that the ability to control the overpopulation of the species has been pulled from the hands of folks with common sense and handed to government bureaucrats that are owned by special interests. There are no moose left and next to no deer. Wolves are getting hit by cars inside of city limits because they are in town grabbing dogs and cats. It's a sad deal all the way around.

Unfortunately we can only hope for an outbreak of mange to get these darn things under control.

Ironbark, now you're talking. It'll look good in the fire too. We don't have anything of that calibre here but there's grey box if you feel like a 40km drive (and feel like spending 6 months splitting it). But tell me, did you spray water from the hose for the second pic?

Yep it's good stuff the old Ironbark, it's good in the shoulder seasons as it will burn slow if you put in 2 small pieces or it will crank out some serious heat if you fill the fire box up. It's relatively easy to split compared to box, most of the time the grain is not twisted and interlocked like box.
I hosed it just to see how red it would come up.

My uncle is up in the north east corner and they were logging some property off and came across a den. He said there were 15-20 pet collars in and around it. They dozed it over. Lots of folks complaining about missing pets and lack of animals to hunt. Wolves ain't no joke in northern MN.
Wolves are awesome and actually hardly make any impact of wildlife. They keep the herds and genetic makeup of our wild animals strong and they should be protected at all costs.
Old wives tales of mad wolves are just that....tales.
If we live in their environment then we need to be responsible with our pets and keep them from running at large....I hear and see it all the time.
Our dog and past pets have always been safe and protected and we live in wolf, coyote and bear territory here. Make sure your dog is on your property in a fenced yard or in the house where it's safe and others are safe from it...easy peasy.
We're the irresponsible, lazy and the most destructive animal on this planet.
Don't believe everything negative you read about wild animals....it's usually a tall tale.

Wolves are awesome and actually hardly make any impact of wildlife. They keep the herds and genetic makeup of our wild animals strong and they should be protected at all costs.
We've always gotten along in here but you are completely wrong about this. Wolves only taking the sick and weak is the biggest farce on the face of the earth.

The problem is every other species are managed while wolves are not. Their numbers in my area are around 400 percent of what is considered healthy and as a result they eat everything in their paths. They need to be managed to what is heathy-for them and for other wildlife species.

Even if they killed 3/4 of the wolves in northern MN it would take years for the deer population to rebound and the moose probably never will.

Ready for some bigger stuff now, 28 inch bar for the 362XP, that's a 20 on the 162 for comparison.

6a7d3dfbc5379bbfaea2c24b5ad091a3.jpg

How much slop on that long of a chain?

8c477668b9c9c930f8decbcdf41897d8.jpg

Brian

where I fish on the gull river there were deer every night ! since the wolves showed up over the last 3 years on camp Ripley they have but all disappeared! howling like a pack sure does send the shivers up the back as well as send any deer in hearing distance on the run!! I wont miss the wolves' if they are ever lucky enough to disappear again!

Several years ago the Wildlife folks thought it would be a good ideal to reintroduce the red wolf to my area. Two showed up in my drive way and just about had my dog. I just happened to be cleaning my rife and saw them. I shot the first one just as it was about to grab my dog, and the second one when it came around my truck that was parked there. Both had tracking collars on them. I loaded them up and delivered them back to the wildlife folks, I am sure they found them, either by the tracking collars or the smell a few days later. I hate to sound anti wolf, but The reintroduction did not work and the remaining wolfs where trapped and moved someplace else. I know several folks that lost newborn calves to those wolfs. Now our problem is coyotes. You can hear then howling at night. Many reports of missing pets, almost daily. I shot one of them in the back yard also. He must of been a loner as my dog had him pinned to the ground when I put a bullet in his head.

Those are still 'chips'.

View attachment 475872

These are 'Noodles'! More photos of noodles, along with a discussion on chain type, in this thread:
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/what-would-be-the-best-chain-for-noodling.249146/

If your bar is not long enough, you can also hold the bar at an angle, such as in this video (may have to watch it on YouTube):

Less chopping of the tough wood fibers/grain, and more cutting with the softer 'pith'(?).

Philbert

This is better
c2520f54621cf1352c7da78ee6a72a4a.jpg

Brian

started splitting and stacking this area Saturday morning for next year if it lasts through the winter. 16' deep and 48' long with a stacked height of 5.5'.there's about 15 cord left to split and throw into the pile with the hopes of adding more to finish out 35 cords....top height should be around 12 feet of hardwood (red/white oak, maple, ash).

Attachments

• 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 85
  • 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 88
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 91
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 98
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 99
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
started splitting and stacking this area Saturday morning for next year if it lasts through the winter. 16' deep and 48' long with a stacked height of 5.5'.there's about 15 cord left to split and throw into the pile with the hopes of adding more to finish out 35 cords....top height should be around 12 feet of hardwood (red/white oak, maple, ash).
So you'll have all of that done by lunch today? :)

wow, just wow...

Brian

Good morning folks,
So recently here in my (sadly) gentrified community liberals have driven up housing costs etc. etc. This in turn has affected Utility service prices as well. So in a moment of clarity, I decided to offset my heat pump with wood. Long story short I ordered 3 3+ cord log loads from a guy who gets them from an export yard. They come post-peeler too meaning less bugs and mess! My question is this... outback I've give or take 5 cord split and stacked ordered,cut,split and stacked in the month of August. The remainder of my pile is inside my garage as the first load I bought in April and its already ready to burn seemingly. This outside stack Y'all reckon I should cover it? Maybe even just the top and sides down about afoot or so? Or just leave it open to the elements? Am a newbie to wood-burning for heat. But electricity costs are cutting into my beer funds! Any replies enthusiastically welcomed.

Cheers.20160924_140523.jpg

Welcome to A.S!

Nice stacks of wood.

You know what your weather is like - how wet do you think that your outside stacks will get uncovered? Is this wood that you are planning on burning this season, or seasoning for next year?

(BTW - political commentary goes in the 'Political/Religious Views' thread - this one is about firewood.)

Philbert

No Sir those stacks are for winter 2017. And our winters are relatively mild here honestly. But we do get heaps and heaps of rain! I just don't want to wind up with skanky stacks next winter. I've heard many different trains of thought on covering vs. open. And duly noted on the political front!

When the wood is seasoning, you want lots of sun, and wind / air movement to let moisture escape. You stacks look pretty close (neatly) together, but have lots of spaces between splits - a nice compromise for a city lot. Once they are seasoned (unless you move them indoors, replacing what you burned this year), I would definitely cover the tops and sides loosely to keep them dry and ready to burn. Covering them now could lead to mildew, etc.

Philbert

Back