Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to know how you guys get those trees to grow without the bark? Now that is some pretty looking wood! Can I say that on this site without getting into trouble?

Sadly in my case, you find a nice piece of PA second growth hardwood (first growth all cut for charcoal making in the middle 1800's for iron forging), allow them to grow to about 100 years old, wait for an invasive disease like Oak Wilt to kill the Red Oaks, then wait another 7-10 years for the bark to fall off, cut them down, split them, then stack them. It's that easy????
IMG_9541.JPG

Sadly in my case, you find a nice piece of PA second growth hardwood (first growth all cut for charcoal making in the middle 1800's for iron forging), allow them to grow to about 100 years old, wait for an invasive disease like Oak Wilt to kill the Red Oaks, then wait another 7-10 years for the bark to fall off, cut them down, split them, then stack them. It's that easy????
View attachment 558367

That is some really clean wood! Pretty as a picture!

I want to know how you guys get those trees to grow without the bark? Now that is some pretty looking wood! Can I say that on this site without getting into trouble?

Dead standing around here for 3-4 years usually does the trick. Most sheds in place or comes free when it gets tipped over.

This is the dead Red I cut last, the bark was hanging loosely on much of the tree, but it was falling off just in the various acts of felling, bucking, rolling and splitting. When a stubborn sliver made it all the way to the splitting block, I just shaved it off before serious splitting strikes:

IMG_9428.JPG

She got me an x17 on Valentine's Day with sharpener. Really rounded out the set. When I find a brand I like I stick to it lol. View attachment 559988
Nice gift!

Is that the chopping axe? If so it's technically an X15 with a longer handle. X17 has a splitting style head.

My Fiskars chopping axe is the most efficient chopping tool I've ever used.

Loving this thread. Thanks to all who contribute.

Here's a quick pic I just took. Not much action lately. Had a tree guy drop off some Maple logs the other day. Can't wait to bring out the splitter and start splitting again.

Neighbor plowed me out one big snowstorm we had so I told him to take a row of wood.

AcXWmmkh.jpg

Back