Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Special order splitter to take a 32 incher? The hydraulic upper links are nice and handy aren't they?

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Yes it was a custom job. The company is only an hour from here and the price was great, so I took the plunge.

I love the hydraulic top link! You can't see it in the picture, but one of the side links on that tractor is hydraulic also, so I can adjust the tilt front to back and side to side from the seat. I just fabbed up ends for those cylinders and added the remotes to that tractor this spring. It was a bit of a project, but it's gonna make my life a lot easier.

How far is your line. We threw the same as Bowie knives and Tomahawks, I think it was 12'-15'. I've thrown farther. At 12' I think the ax flipped one time. One line the ax handle would always be pointing up, and the other line it would be pointing down, we through at playing card with the goal of cutting them in half. We also shot at a double set in a block of wood, with two clay pigeons on the side, attempting to split the bullet and break both pigeons, Joe.

How far is your line. We threw the same as Bowie knives and Tomahawks, I think it was 12'-15'. I've thrown farther. At 12' I think the ax flipped one time. One line the ax handle would always be pointing up, and the other line it would be pointing down, we through at playing card with the goal of cutting them in half. We also shot at a double set in a block of wood, with two clay pigeons on the side, attempting to split the bullet and break both pigeons, Joe.

current tho line 22 feet or 8m much of this depends on axe in use rotation,,, took me 20 thos to work out the new axe range

IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1614.JPG IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1909.JPG IMG_2228.JPG Drop them, Drag them, buck them, split them, then the kids stack them. The kids are a big help with the splitter too. Second set of hands to run the lever helps. Best part is unlike my brother in law, I don't have to share my beer with the kids when we're done for the day. It amazes me how much they'll help do firewood, but god forbid they listen when told to clean their rooms.

I always worry about a second set of hands on the levers. You both get in a rhythm, then the block moves and you grab at it to adjust, but it's too late the other person has already pulled the lever. In the years I've been here a couple people have lost fingers by tag teaming the controls. I almost got my Dad with our big Bliss commercial splitter. He barely got his fingers out and looked at me like I was nuts. I looked at him like he was nuts. He liked every piece the exact same size and reached down to adjust it, I already had it in motion. You can't let your attention drop for 1 second, be careful, Joe.

The few times my kids help with the hydro and I'm not the one running the lever I don't let them engage until hands are off the wood. And the smaller kids need both hands to engage the lever so they are safe by default.

When I had one kid throwing splits and two delivering me rounds we really can pile it up in a hurry.

0d7b0c26a5e07e473a72be5cfdd59e9f.jpg
117ee1793031968c4a0c98b3898455e8.jpg
dd11858e696a01c5e33b51ad663725c2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back