Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cornfused, that's some big stuff to deal with.
I drove to Fort Dodge, Iowa to get my conveyor a number of years ago, a Craigslist find. Long trip, but worth it. I picked up some magnetic tail lights, farm triangles and flagged the end of it really, really well, and ran with the trucks on the way back. Changed it over to hydraulic lift last winter.IMG_2236.jpgIMG_2235.jpg IMG_2233.jpg

Cornfused, that's some big stuff to deal with.
I drove to Fort Dodge, Iowa to get my conveyor a number of years ago, a Craigslist find. Long trip, but worth it. I picked up some magnetic tail lights, farm triangles and flagged the end of it really, really well, and ran with the trucks on the way back.
Is the conveyor purpose built for wood or is it an ag conveyor. Been looking high & low for a short ag conveyor but all I can find are 40' crib conveyors. Man that had to have been one long a$$ed drive back to Michigan!!!

It is a 28' BuiltRite (manufacturer) firewood conveyor. Cleated belt, hydraulic top drive, GX160.

It was a slow trip home. My intent was to pick it up, head back and get a motel at some point. I had left home at 3:00 am or something like that. Hit Fort Dodge just before noon, and left an hour later. I was long past the heavy truck traffic south of Chicago, and traffic north was very, very light. I stopped for coffee and a short break. It was dark and beginning to snow. Still felt good, but I was worried about the end of the thing and faster trucks, so several times I turned the four ways on until they got by. The magnetic lights were close to the end.

It actually gets quite low. In the second photo, the hand crank jack is mounted on the upper cross member. It also mounts below that, on the axle, much, much lower. It also had a slip tube, that could be pinned at different heights, as the jack itself only had about a ten inch travel. It is high in these photos to take weight off the quad. It could actually get too high, and the weight of wood has tipped it over, and slightly bent the top drum drive shaft. Took some effort to replace it. Lesson learned. No longer possible since I changed to a hydraulic lift cylinder. I bought it 02/26/2010, and gave $5,000. Bill of sale says it is a 2007.

I have some nice equipment that I try to keep up. The trade off is I drive an old mini van with a lot of miles on it. We did get a used pickup this February, but I'm still driving the van. I like it. The truck is high, and a step to get into. Now I know why the seats were all blown out in many of the trucks we looked at with only a hundred thousand miles.

IMG_3724.jpg IMG_4664.jpg Old way, new way. The goal is to get a bigger truck with a 24' bed and tandem to carry the piggyback lift for unloading. Until then, it is unload by hand, a slow process. Each of these loads is 1 1/2 cord. I have twenty five or thirty of the large racks that I no longer use. (Make me an offer.) Edit: added photo.IMG_4606.jpg

Here's my woodshed/splitting area. The shed has 2 bays of 2.5m across x 3.5m deep and the wood is stacked up to 2.3m high. So those bays can hold 20 cubes or 5 and a bit cord each. Although it is only open on one side the idea was to get two years ahead and after 2 Australian summers baking in there, it's all very dry. The bay on the right is 2m across and was originally intended for odd bits, kindling and fireplace redgum but now I'm just going to mostly fill it as well. We're currently burning the middle bay.

7th Jul 1.jpg

I had it all nice and neat a month ago then some nitwit dumped more wood in front of it.

7th Jul 2.jpg

Finally got around to taking some pics of my wood shed. It is a 24'X32' pole barn. I have divided it up into 8X8 sections. I have 3 4X8 areas to store shoulder wood (3 year plan). I made 2 bins for kindling (2 year plan). The other 5 are for my better wood and each holds around 2 and a half cord each. The one sections with the wheelbarrow is partly empty because that is where I resume burning this coming winter. I go in a clockwise directions for the next pile of wood to take from. Makes it easy to keep track of what wood to use next. The center section is used to store my tractor, trailer and splitter.
DSC02653.JPG DSC02654.JPG DSC02655.JPG DSC02656.JPG DSC02657.JPG DSC02659.JPG DSC02661.JPG

Yikes; I'm a little humbled by some of these huge wood piles and wood buildings. The word "shed" doesn't quite measure up to some of those set ups.

Hey, there's no wood in that pic????? Time for new pallets on the one side. I get 4 years out of a set of pallets. Never have a problem getting pallets, and it saved me from having to do some kind of floor in the woodshed. In fact this wood shed is 20 years old this year. Put a new roof on it this summer. A lot of wood has gone through that shed in 20 years.

Other side is full for this season. Empty side will be for next year. Second pic is the wood and splitter to fill it up. More than will fit in there, but that will fill a few more of those face cord racks. Good mix of oak, hickory, ash, maple and some yellow birch which I think is great firewood even though it's seldom talked about. IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1547.JPG

cf12b4ff6e1462864ad1d4a6a5091dea.jpg

Latest posts

Back