Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the race does not set on the spindle! the race sits in the hub, one on each side for the bearing to fit into! the bearing(s) sit on the spindle alone! greasing the spindle is a must to assure a lubed fit along with greasing the hub after the assembly. !! "DONT FORGET TO RE PACK THE BEARINGS BEFORE PLACEMENT INTO THE HUB AND ON THE SPINDLE" !!....

the race does not set on the spindle! the race sits in the hub, one on each side for the bearing to fit into! the bearing(s) sit on the spindle alone! greasing the spindle is a must to assure a lubed fit along with greasing the hub after the assembly. !! "DONT FORGET TO RE PACK THE BEARINGS BEFORE PLACEMENT INTO THE HUB AND ON THE SPINDLE" !!....
Technically doesn't the outer race fit into the hub and the inner race sit on the spindle/axle?

I always referred to the two pieces of a bearing set as the race and the bearing. The bigger ring shaped piece that goes in the hub, and the bearing that slides on the spindle shaft. But, technically that's wrong. The big tapered piece is the outer race. The piece of the bearing that slides on the spindle is the inner race, and it is in constant contact with the spindle. Since the bearings roll on that inner piece of the bearing, it's a race also. So, a bearing set is really 4 pieces. The outer race, the bearing retainer or cage, that holds the bearings in place, the bearings and the inner race, Joe.

Technically doesn't the outer race fit into the hub and the inner race sit on the spindle/axle?
!no! ?? "I stand correcter", to a point. the bearing case assembly housing that fits over the axel spindle may be called an inner race! but not the same as the outer race that the bearings run with!!

After looking at the seal this morning, one half the outer circumference of the seal, where it presses in the hub was rusted differently than the other half.. Whether water got in the rubber seal and sat in there, or it seeped in the press fit, I don't know. I added a lot of grease to the kit before installation, and the....****....

Our daughter just walked in, and smells funny! (She now lives in Grand Rapids, thirty miles away, and she should be at work.) Her dog got sprayed by a skunk, and she brought her here, to mom and dad's... because her roommates are pissed!:drinkingcoffee: Off to the store for some bottles of Listerine.

Last photo is the 'good' hub. They're not great photos. Maybe I should have put new seals on it when I got back from Iowa. The rubber must turn on the spindle and wear. Guess I should look at the travel trailer too, which is twelve years old.IMG_5072.jpgIMG_5073.jpgIMG_5075.jpgIMG_5076.jpgIMG_5071.jpg

Yes, a dog trainer suggested peroxide and baking soda to make a paste and leave on for a while. Their second suggestion was the Listerine, which I did because it is the dogs head that really stinks. Also, it is a very mild dog, however...she is a woman dog, our daughter's, and a pit bull. I didn't want to get peroxide in her eyes either. She did great with the first bath of Listerine, which I did not rinse off. Second bath coming up, now that the truck is loaded for tomorrow mornings delivery. The Listerine is working. Which makes paying $6.00 a bottle, or bath, worth it I guess. Outdoor dog no doubt about that.

Wheel bearing. I thought the race seated, fixed without movement, on the spindle; the bearings (run on the outer diameter of the race); the bearing retainer that holds the bearings in place. The bearings in this case run on the machined inner surface of the hub instead of an outer race.

The inner seal must be a wear item, as it spins with the hub and seals against the spindle which is fixed.

Sorry for the hijacked thread....

Yes, a dog trainer suggested peroxide and baking soda to make a paste and leave on for a while. Their second suggestion was the Listerine, which I did because it is the dogs head that really stinks. Also, it is a very mild dog, however...she is a woman dog, our daughter's, and a pit bull. I didn't want to get peroxide in her eyes either. She did great with the first bath of Listerine, which I did not rinse off. Second bath coming up, now that the truck is loaded for tomorrow mornings delivery. The Listerine is working. Which makes paying $6.00 a bottle, or bath, worth it I guess. Outdoor dog no doubt about that.

Wheel bearing. I thought the race seated, fixed without movement, on the spindle; the bearings (run on the outer diameter of the race); the bearing retainer that holds the bearings in place. The bearings in this case run on the machined inner surface of the hub instead of an outer race.

The inner seal must be a wear item, as it spins with the hub and seals against the spindle which is fixed.

Sorry for the hijacked thread....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

4358a174975bde147788a0d2e4fae152.jpg

Thats about a third of whats cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back