Post transplant care of Cottonwood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMoney

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all. I found this site while researching a new firewood chainsaw (Instead I was offered a Husqy 440 at a decent price) but my first post will be about tree care. I am helping a friend care for an approx. 8 ft tall cottonwood transplant. The tree was dug out down to about 2 feet before the root was cut, the roots were soaked in a stream, and the tree was then placed in it's new location. Neither of us live near the tree, but he wanted to get it started on a property where he plans to move in the future. The tree is still dormant.

I guess my main question is regarding quantity and frequency of watering. I don't want to drown the tree, but I also know transplants need a lot of water. To me this would mean 45 mins with a soaker hose twice a day, however we will be more likely be using 5 gallon buckets. Is 10 gallons twice a week enough until it gets hotter? I also have the ability to set up a drip irrigation system if that is advised.

Thanks,
Justin

It's pretty poorly draining clay tbh, I poured about 7 gal on yesterday (one of the bucket lids went missing), and it took a while to drain pouring a few gallons at a time. The ground is often described as shale or gumbo. It is pasture / prairie, not particularly arid in terms of rainfall but not humid. So far there isn't any mulch down, but I can change that easily.

Latest posts

Back