Post your 2 series Husky thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sold my first 262xp to a guy up the road from me. That's a big step for me - could I be on the road to CAD recovery? Don't really think so because I had a 3 254 carcasses arrive in the last 3 days. Still, it's something isn't it?
Selling one and replacing it with three and you're thinking recovery?

Um... no... ;)

It means nothing that the tag doesn't say XP, it often was that way back then.

That 254 tag surely looks like it is a 1996 one, but week 49 is very close to 1986, so there is a slight chance they made a mistake, and used a black tag on a late 1986 saw.

Do you have more pictures of that 254?

The 262 is a 1990 week 15 one.
Yep im not concerned about it ;)

It means nothing that the tag doesn't say XP, it often was that way back then.

That 254 tag surely looks like it is a 1996 one, but week 49 is very close to 1986, so there is a slight chance they made a mistake, and used a black tag on a late 1986 saw.

Do you have more pictures of that 254?

The 262 is a 1990 week 15 one.

I'll take more pictures if it helps for sure. It's just sitting waiting for me to over haul it.

I'm not concerned either just more interesting how some have the xp and some don't for some reason

Unless all 3 major covers have been replaced, it is a 1996 saw, and not a 1986 one.

One more thing to look for; A 1986 saw would lack the duct for the "Air Injection", but a 1996 one will have it - see frame K, upper right corner, here:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/husqvarna254-1992-10.PDF

Also be aware that there could be date codes on "plastic" parts, and the crank bells often show the production month.

Awesome. Was hoping it wasn't a 86 one honestly. Then my analness would have to find another recoil starter for it. LOL

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it greatly

Unless all 3 major covers have been replaced, it is a 1996 saw, and not a 1986 one.

I'm guessing the top cover is not original. See how it overlaps part of the decomp port? That happened to me when I put a newer cylinder with decomp on a 1992 262. I had to rasp out a half moon in the plastic to get the decomp to depress. It's an issue when you put an old cover on a newer cylinder or vice versa.

What is that gray thing sticking up out of the chainbrake on top of the top handle?

I'm guessing the top cover is not original. See how it overlaps part of the decomp port? That happened to me when I put a newer cylinder with decomp on a 1992 262. I had to rasp out a half moon in the plastic to get the decomp to depress. It's an issue when you put an old cover on a newer cylinder or vice versa.

What is that gray thing sticking up out of the chainbrake on top of the top handle?

Good eye. Never noticed that. Probably gonna leave it plugged anyways since they are not hard to pull over.

Isn't that a plug or spacer?? I know my xpg it has the plastic piece where the wires connect too on the top handle in the same spot

Isn't that a plug or spacer?? I know my xpg it has the plastic piece where the wires connect too on the top handle in the same spot

I have never seen an XPG handle so maybe? The 254 does have a spacer on that end of the top handle but it goes underneath the top handle, not on top.

That is a black rubber donut on the 257 and 262 but it was not used for the 254. At least I have never seen one and the IPL's don't show one.

This topic was up not too long ago on some saw forum, but so far I haven't found it.
From the IPLs, it looks like you are right, and the part we see is isn't the spacer, but a part connected to handle heating?

By now there are signs that several parts isn't original on that saw (case) anyway, and it could of course be more...

This topic was up not too long ago on some saw forum, but so far I haven't found it. I don't remember what models/versions that are supposed to have it.

By now there are signs that several parts isn't original on that saw (case) though, and it could of course be more...

I can take a closer picture with the clutch cover off.

I pretty much assumed as much anyways. The fella I got it from has a lot of saws as that is his business (felling and firewood)

He said he had quite a few of Em back in the day. Really not worried about parts that don't match the year 100%. As long as they are oem and are ment for the saw. Planned on keeping 'er.

Woods not gonna notice the difference LOL

Another thing that can point to its real age is whether the oil pump is driven by the clutch drum or by a gear pressed onto the crankshaft. However it is fairly easy to convert the older gear driven approach to the clutch driven approach. Whenever I find a gear driven one, I convert it because not having a puddle of oil form when the saw is idling is a great feature.

And the earlier saw will not have the aluminum heat shield between the cylinder and muffler.

Back