Poulan 306A again -ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerrycmorrow

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Okay, the mono seal works on the fuel tank. Now to the next issue. Bout to drive me wacky (er)
Checked/cleaned all my ignition components ( points). Reassembled and no spark. Took it down again and checked everything again. Checked continuity of points as each piece goes on. Without starter installed. - good continuity; even rotated the crank. Installed starter, sometimes good and sometimes not. Once, I discovered that when I tightened the front screw on the starter I lost continuity. Loosen screw half a turn - good. Tighten - bad. Did this several times. Took down and rechecked everything. Put different wire in from points to coil from a parts saw; no joy. Refiled points; same deal. I've had the ignition and all components apart at least half dozen times. Points look good, nice and shinny, though worn. I'm not giving up but would appreciate constructive comments
Thanks much

Honestly if I was you I would find electronic flywheel and coil and be done. That is if your will to a little money into it.

What is your coil gap to the flywheel, although I'm sure you've prolly checked that

Update. Noticed again I had continuity until I screwed the front screw on the starter down. Switched starter out with the parts saw starter. So far, good hot spark. Can't see anything obvious on the original starter. How weird is this?

Take look at things and then ask yourself what changes or moves, when the screw is tightened.

Is the screw touching a wire then?
Is the recoil pinching a wire?
Look at kill switch and wire routing.
Look at ALL of the wires for any pinches or chaffing.

For example:
I just ran into a trimmer( fs55rc **) that someone had pinched the wires
inside of the handle.
Made for a No Spark situation when assembled.
But had great spark while neighbor had it apart.

Is the screw too long? perhaps going in and pushing on another part.
Is something cracked and thus distorting when things are tightened?

Do you feel any sort of drag or other difference in how the motor spins or the recoil hangs or scrapes , etc
when the screws are tight?
Compared to how it all feels when slightly loose.

===
** side note on the fs55rc trimmer:
But I'm still trying to figure out why the [NEW] throttle cable has so much drag/friction.
Gotta be something that I'm just going blind about.

Yeah it's in there.
Gap is set with bidness card.
Condenser checks out at 0.21uf

Is the screw touching a wire then? - no
Is the recoil pinching a wire? - no
Look at kill switch and wire routing. - same as when taken down
Look at ALL of the wires for any pinches or chaffing. - checked them all out
Is the screw too long? perhaps going in and pushing on another part. - stock screw, screws into case
Is something cracked and thus distorting when things are tightened? - that's what I was thinking but can't see anything amiss.
Do you feel any sort of drag or other difference in how the motor spins or the recoil hangs or scrapes , etc when the screws are tight? Compared to how it all feels when slightly loose. - no drag or other difference

thanks for all the responses. I'm just gonna let this be one that I ponder over for the next number of years. just glad I decided to swap out the starter.

Back