Poulan 306A - Broken Rings - Scored Lower Cylinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perk

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
My beloved 306A recently busted its rings after 40 years of faithful service. The piston is OK, I have two replacement rings, but the cylinder has a small groove scored in the area below the exhaust port. This is a reed valve engine. With all the other porting and openings in this area of the cylinder, will this be a problem?

I know i had a super 25 years ago with a i thought small scratch by the port and with a new piston and rings it still wouldnt pull gas to the carb

got a pic? some one will have more answers soon... you might try the poulan sticky thread

Here is a Picture - the scratch is not as bad as the pix looks, most of what you see is some plating loss.
I've never looked into the cylinder of a reed valve engine. The ports are way different than my stihls. How does it work differently?

306 Cylinder.JPG

Here is a Picture - the scratch is not as bad as the pix looks, most of what you see is some plating loss.
I've never looked into the cylinder of a reed valve engine. The ports are way different than my stihls. How does it work differently?

View attachment 382352
That cylinder is toast, plating worn through. That is an open port cylinder where the transfers are open from the crankcase to the upper limit. The cheaper non PRO Stihls have transfers like those, they still get the air/fuel mix to the top of the piston, then the piston compresses that mix above the top of the ports until ignition by the sparkplug occurs.

Back