Poulan 306A clutch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a 306A parts saw and noticed it's mostly all there so decided to maybe make a runner out of it. I also noticed the clutch and sprocket are missing and wondered if any other clutch and sprockets will fit this saw other than 245 and 306. It's missing two or three other parts also but I think I may be able to find them..

I have a 306a parts saw it has a clutch the sprocket may be wore but I think the clutch is fine I'll see if I can get it off your welcome to it.

I have the correct clutch tool at work I'll take it tomorrow and remove and inspect the clutch. What else were you looking for

I have the correct clutch tool at work I'll take it tomorrow and remove and inspect the clutch. What else were you looking for
The main thing other than the clutch would be a set of starter pawls and springs that sit behind the flywheel. I would just take the flywheel if you don't want to separate them. Other than that, I think the saw is pretty much complete. Let me know what you'd want for these, not sure what the postage is but doubt it would be too much being that close.

The main thing other than the clutch would be a set of starter pawls and springs that sit behind the flywheel. I would just take the flywheel if you don't want to separate them. Other than that, I think the saw is pretty much complete. Let me know what you'd want for these, not sure what the postage is but doubt it would be too much being that close.

Makes sure you keep a points flywheel with points or electronic flywheel with electronic if you get the flywheel because the two flywheels don't interchange with each other.

Mine says it's electronic on the starter cover. Really, all I need are the starter pawls and the springs I think. If you'd rather keep yours I can worry about the flywheel stuff later. Wife makes sure I have plenty of other stuff to do..

Lol I understand it's just been sitting in the shed I figure out what it is tomorrow for sure.

I'll try to remember tomorrow to look at mine a little closer. Some of those covers get switched around a lot. I think I've had this flywheel off recently but don't remember if it had points or not but I'll know tomorrow. Fact is, I'm sure I had it off otherwise I wouldn't know that the pawls were missing, they're on the back side.

I looked at mine again this morning and it's definitely a solid state ignition. I cranked it over with my electric drill and it had a small amount of spark but not overly generous. I never checked the module gap or anything like that and it was an old spark plug and the saw had plenty of dirt. Of course I'll clean it up when I put it together.

I didn't forget about you I got the clutch tool I've been behind the 8 ball I'm gonna get it apart for you

I went ahead and ordered a flywheel for my 306. They didn't want much on ebay for it and I'm gonna take the pawls and springs off of it and put on mine. Then I'll be able to tell if the saw's gonna be a runner or not. So the only thing my saw needs now is a clutch.

I have the flywheel put together and is on the saw, seems to work good and seems to have a lot of compression so I went ahead and put a new fuel line and filter on it and did a few other touch ups on the saw. I put a little epoxy on the clutch cover to repair a crack and found a decent bar and chain for it but it is a banana bar, 18" I think..

Latest posts

Back