• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Poulan 3400 Countervibe Chainsaw with 20" Bar / Chain for repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m21bmr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am selling a Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw that is in good physical condition. It is currently not running, and appears to need carb work to get going. It will run briefly with fuel mix poured down the carburetor throat, but will not run otherwise. The only thing I noticed that is not stock on the saw is the pull-start handle. It has been replaced at some point with an aftermarket pull-start handle. There is a small cut or tear in the foam wrap on the front handle.

The 20" bar and chain are included in the sale. The chain may need to be sharpened, but has good life left. I have not had it running to be able to assess the functionality of the oiling system. I did a compression test and got a reading of 128 psi on my gauge. From a little reading, that seems about average for this model. Asking $100 shipped for the saw.
IMG_4275.JPG IMG_4276.JPG IMG_4277.JPG IMG_4278.JPG IMG_4279.JPG IMG_4280.JPG IMG_4281.JPG IMG_4282.JPG IMG_4231.JPG

Bump and update...
I tried to start the saw over the weekend, and after turning the carb adjustment needles out, I did get it to run some near idle speed but only with the choke on. The manual for the saw states that the base setting for the needles on the carb is 1 turn out. I didn't get it to run at all with 1 turn out, but opening each screw to about 2 turns out, it did run poorly when the choke was kept on, so this helps confirm to me that it would run with a good carburetor. The carb on this saw could possibly be cleaned and or rebuilt to function well. The only thing that is a little off, when turning the adjustment needles on the carb, each of them seems to be bent some. (The ends of the adjustment screws move relative to the center axis of the screw as they are rotated.)

I added a some pictures of the piston / cylinder as viewed through the exhaust port. The piston looks good to me. There are some of what I would call superficial scratches on the piston, but I don't see anything I would be worried about if I were going to keep the saw to run. The cylinder photo didn't come out as well as the piston ones, but I didn't see any problems with the cylinder.
The first picture is the top of the piston, the second further down on the side of the piston, and the last photo is the intake side of the cylinder.

IMG_4298.JPG IMG_4299.JPG IMG_4300.JPG

Latest posts

Back