Poulan 3816 ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boudreaux In Eunice La.

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine came by my shop last week and got some fuel line from me for a saw. He is a outboard mechanic and saws ETC ETC and owned a few dealerships in town and a very good gunsmith and machinist.

He changed the lines out and after 15 minutes got it to pop one time. So John told him to bring it to me since I stock kits and such.

Bull tried to start it to no avail, Me Too to no avail. So I tagged it.

Yesterday I checked the spark and it was great. I squirted fuel from a charcoal lighter can that I use for such small engines into the carb. I don't use starting fluid at all. No pop at all.....

I even tried the oh **** method with the plug over the hole [ya'll know the eye brow singer] Tried to put a lil gas in the plug hole and put the plug back in. Nope Nothing ~!~!

So I have the plug out know and pulled 30 or 40 times upside down and left it like for over night. I will try tomorrow.

So does anyone have an idea where to go next except for taking the flywheel off and check for a broken key ??

This happens on my mantis tiller from time to time. I give it a shot of oil down the plug hole and then it usually fires right off.
I think it is caused by fuel pooled in the bottom of the crank case. For some reason they can't transfer it out like the larger engines. But the extra shot of oil raises the compression drastically and usually gets it going quickly.

Steven

Here is a update. I pulled the carb off to make sure it was a zama. Nope its a walbro So I wanted to look at the piston and pulled the rope a lil and some vapor came out. I pulled on the rope just like I would to start it and it popped and ran for 4 seconds. Wow. So I put the carb back on and got it to run for 2 seconds at the most.

I had a kit in stock and overhauled the carb. I did notice before I put the kit in there was gas coming out the carb when I pumped the primer bulb. Ok I said a kit is in order.

I took the the adjustments out and made sure every passage was clean and clear. I can get it to run for 5 or 6 seconds and it still dies out. So a new carb will be ordered.

I took the muff off and everything is in order on the piston. Looks like new.

Any other ideas ??

Did you try the oil thing Steve mentioned its worth a shot.

Might be coincidence but your screen name made me think about game dogs.

Update on the trash can saw. Which I had many I got from from the trash and scrap yards AND got 80 percent running and are still running today.

Ok here it is I talked to John and he said he re did the lines. Well I re checked like said to do. Guess what THEY were backwards. Kudos too backhoe and georgia ~!~!

I had a few Poulan saws when I bought some property in Wilmer Alabama by the Miss Ala line. I had the wally world reciept and turned it in after a week.

Got a new one and ran for quite a few years. A buddy of mine still has a sears / poulan for over 25 years that I kitted the carb on last year. He cut 3 chords of wood this year with it. We use non ethanol gas in our machines down here. Well some of us do anyway.

I usually don't check behind a fellow mechanic but I did take ya'll advice and double checked.

I cut 5 30 foot chicken trees down and got em to the road with the saw. Yes it was a good test ~!~!

Thanks ya'll ~!~!

Back