Poulan 4200 parts saw prices and why do people value old saws that are not antiques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardhat

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just bid on a poulan 4200 on e-bay. It was a part/repair saw with 90psi compression that did not run (although would fire and try to run). Bid was $66 a few minutes prior to close. I started bidding 67, 68, 69. I was high bidder at 76 with a minute or so to go, then put in a bid of 101 just in case. Saw wound up selling for 103.50 which is more than I am willing to pay for a low compression saw (today anyways :). These old saws sure do go for a lot it seems. You think people are collecting them, or actually running them or both? I am only fascinated by them because we have had one since I was 3 (over 30 years ago) and it still runs like a champ It has cut firewood for the family ever year and it continues to do well. They don't make em like this anymore. What is other people's fascination with older saws that don't meet antique status and why?

i think people in general are wising up when they go buy cheap new saws at a local walmart or lowes or home depot and sears they are finding out quality is a big issue in to todays market notice what the units say on the label the lifespan of them i dont see lifespans on older units that were magnesium plated that goes for any brand that has magnesium as the primary item it is made from

so i think they are getting wiser

i was going to buy a new saw but i deiced to spend 1/4 of what a new one cost on a used one . and its lasted this long so it has to be good!

-dave

I just bid on a poulan 4200 on e-bay. It was a part/repair saw with 90psi compression that did not run (although would fire and try to run). Bid was $66 a few minutes prior to close. I started bidding 67, 68, 69. I was high bidder at 76 with a minute or so to go, then put in a bid of 101 just in case. Saw wound up selling for 103.50 which is more than I am willing to pay for a low compression saw (today anyways :). These old saws sure do go for a lot it seems. You think people are collecting them, or actually running them or both? I am only fascinated by them because we have had one since I was 3 (over 30 years ago) and it still runs like a champ It has cut firewood for the family ever year and it continues to do well. They don't make em like this anymore. What is other people's fascination with older saws that don't meet antique status and why?

I seen that saw and thought it was enough for it at $66 plus shipping. It cost too much for parts (if you can find them)from obsolete vendors. They think you just have to have them and will pay whatever for them. I say good luck to them.

Old tools are for old fools. Since none of us are getting any younger, the fascination is just natural. You either except it or fight it.

old sawz

one nice thing is the older sawz will run this krapy new gas. that is why i am stock piling mac 10-10 parts so if i need a bomb roof saw i will have one in the fleet. i bought a old buttt ugly 30 year old mac 10-10 with 12 year old fuel and it started second pull on choke:jawdrop: try that with a a newer saw:confused:

:cheers:

one nice thing is the older sawz will run this krapy new gas. that is why i am stock piling mac 10-10 parts so if i need a bomb roof saw i will have one in the fleet. i bought a old buttt ugly 30 year old mac 10-10 with 12 year old fuel and it started second pull on choke:jawdrop: try that with a a newer saw:confused:

:cheers:

Not doubting that a bit, I have alot of the "older" saws.

My point is, you can't buy these older saws that need pistons, rings etc. If you can find parts, there too much money.

I mean how can you pay $100 for a old saw and spend over $200 fixing it and it's still only a $200 saw when done?

I've noticed the price on CL saws going up around here also. My theory is 1) with the economy slowing down, more guys are trying to make a buck fixing and selling saws. As demand goes up, so do the prices. 2) as someone pointed out, people are getting older and getting nostalgic for the saws of their younger days.

Not doubting that a bit, I have alot of the "older" saws.

My point is, you can't buy these older saws that need pistons, rings etc. If you can find parts, there too much money.

I mean how can you pay $100 for a old saw and spend over $200 fixing it and it's still only a $200 saw when done?

I agree with that statement 100%, and I have been there, and done that. That most recent 5200 that I way over paid for. It was complete, just dirty, but had a "stuck piston" :dizzy: Well, the interior of the crank case turned out to be full of the "white death" corrosion. I spent lots of money on different case, new cly & piston, and who knows what else.

In the end I could have bought a brand new 85cc saw for what I put into that 5200. That being said, I'm glad I did it. Was a learning process on thinking with your head and not your heart, about these "older saws".

Gregg,

Are you asking what fool would bid $103.50 when you bid $101.00? I'm betting someone else out there needed the saw for parts or whatever and figured it was worth it. It was worth $101.00 to you. right?

Haha, how do these 6 year old threads get dredged up all the time?
I guess people are using the search function, but really, look at the dates before you reply to a 5+ year old thread maybe?

I just bid on a running 4200 at 310.00 and was outbid 10 mins later at 340.00! I was just curious to the true value. I'm sure the bow is worth something by its self since you can't just buy one anywhere. Sorry if I angered anyone for digging up a old post. Lol

Back