Poulan 4400 : The journey begins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketco5

Reaction score
I just purchased a Poulan 4400 with the intent to sell it off after fixing it. After putting my hands on it , looking up the history of them I have become attached to the saw I have decided to keep it . It is crazy well built and I want to bring this beast back to life. I see people parting them out and its sort of sad that there will be less and less of these out there.
I bought it from a friend who told me that the person he got it from said it just died one day.
I paid $100 for it. I would consider myself decent with small engine repair. I have rebuilt mini bikes, dirt bikes, fixed snow blowers, personal vehicles , etc. So I hope I am able to make this thing roar again.

So when I found this site I felt like I may be able to get a little direction, links on where to find some parts and anything that may help repair this saw. Overall it is complete. Missing the on/off switch. It is a little scratched up but since it seems to be build out of twisted steel and sex appeal to me it is just broken in.
As you will see in the pics, it becomes very apparent that the previous user did not do any sort of upkeep to this saw.
Just caked in oil and years of sawdust, I assumed it was the filter and just needed some general cleaning to help it along its way. Then I decided to take the muffler off since that too was beyond dirty. That is when I peeked in and saw the second to last pic ...

Anyway parts are on the way. I am looking for a wiring diagram for the on/off switch since that was missing.
I am also trying to find out the year this was built. There are stamps on the casing and If I am reading it correctly It would be indicating it was built in early 81 . There is a 81 in a star type circle that happens to have 12 marks on it with some of them filled in . I question it since the 81 looks a bit off and I can not find anything give me a definitive20170116_214212_resized.jpg yes or no. . I have looked, reworded, guessed, etc. So please feel free to chime in . Id like to hear any information ,history , how awesome ( or terrible ) the saw is. Just looking to be more informed.

20170107_134358_resized.jpg 20170107_233405_resized.jpg 20170115_151921_resized.jpg 20170115_235313_resized.jpg 20170116_140305_resized.jpg 20170116_140717_resized.jpg

Back