poulan counter vibe 3400 Quality???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp41

Reaction score
The neighbor has a poulan counter vibe 3400 for sale. The saw looks to be in good shape and runs strong. Is this a quality saw and is it worth $40.00? Are parts still availible?

thanks, Mark

Mark, welcome to AS.

There is a man here who, in very recent posts, has said that he's very happy with his Poulan 3400. My apologies, but I don't recall his user name; a search will get you the info. I'm eyeing :Eye: a 3400 sold with a different brand label on it.

I just hit 500 posts; do I win something :p :rolleyes: :blob2: ?

I have a Poulan 3400 I bought new in 1980. I certainly don't use it everyday. I think a working 3400 is worth $40. Lots of parts are easy to come by, but if you broke any of the body part, what's painted green I think you'd have a hard time finding that.

At worst you might have to rebuild the carb, put new rings on the piston, new fuel filter, new sprocket and chain guide bar and chain. All that cost a little less than $100. I ended up doing that although not all at once. The saw runs great.

The bad: For me it's very heavy. Mine with chain, bar, gas, lube oil and all it weighs 17.5 lbs. There is no way I could tote that saw around if I have to use it all day everyday.

Poulan 3400 saw:

Hello. I have a Poulan 3400 CV that I bought in 1982. Ha, still has original bar and chain, clutch and sparkplug. As you can see it's not used much, maybe has cut 5 cord of wood. Still runs fine, never touched the carb, except to adjust it occasionally. The only other thing I did was to mod the muffler. I removed the screene, drilled out the baffel holes from 1/4" to 5/16" and put 5 (I believe) 3/8" holes in the bottom of the front half of the muffler to open up the exhaust, readjusted the Carburetor and what a difference it made in the performance of the saw. Mine has an Oregon 18" sprocket tip bar and 3/8" pitch original Oregon safety chain on it. Never have had a problem with the saw so far. Just keep her cleaned properly to avoid over heating anything, such as the electronic ignition. Good luck on the saw. Lewis Brander.

Last edited:
It is a good saw, but the air filters are not that good. You might want to look at the
piston through the muffler port, and check for dirt ingestion, and check the crankshaft
for excessive slop.

Intersting to read your thoughts all...I'm just looking at buying one second hand of course (mint) for small trimming work but didn't realise how old they must be..when were they manufactured?.are they a clone of any sort..remanufactured as another brand

The saw that I was eyeing

was a Craftsman, a relabelled 3400. It brought a so-so price on eBayware.
The shipping pushed the price too high for my Scottish blood.

Small trimming..delimbing barrels/trunks for skidding..Ive just bought a second hand Johnsered 2077/36" with little hours (mint cond), for slabbing native river logs yo be processed for large table tops and furniture..I find it has enough power to manage this bar and still light enough to handle all day (at my age 40 something, and doesn't kill the back and arms)..Poulan here in NZ are sold through hardware stores around 35 - 35cc for city dwellers and tend to be seen as toys...I am looking at a 3400 56cc? with tired rings (bore looks OK), its cheap to buy and fix and would do a few mods to pep it up a bit..but have been unable to get much knowledgable info here on their quality..I've discovered your forum and found the reading very interesting..didn't know there were other people out there with the same interests as me, in saws..can anyone give me a bit of rundown on the 3400..I have a pic...but how do I attach it

poulan 3400

had one new about 1982 or so, had lot of chain speed but i thought had
little tork or low in grunt ,maybe just me

looking for parts.

:givebeer: :givebeer:
The neighbor has a poulan counter vibe 3400 for sale. The saw looks to be in good shape and runs strong. Is this a quality saw and is it worth $40.00? Are parts still availible?

thanks, Mark

im looking for poulan countervibe parts,i need to know if anybody knows the size of the piston?if u can get a poulan countervibe for 40.00 its well worth the money.:greenchainsaw:

My friend has a 3300 and the Craftsman version of the 3400.
He loves them. Good saws well worth the 40 dollars.

Latest posts

Back