Poulan Pro 3516 HELP!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Reaction score
I'll get right to it... (I hope it makes sense)

I have a Poulan Pro PP3516 (bought new in 2005) that is in need of a new drive sprocket. It's a 6 tooth spur drive. I have an 18" Oregon Intenz bar on it (something that I plan to upgrade in the future) and an Oregon S62 chain (0.375" LP, 0.050", 62 drivers).

I found the Poulan part number for the drive sprocket from the factory parts diagram: #530057905. They're available all over the place. If I wanted to, I could just buy an OEM replacement. But that's too easy.

If possible, I would like to (and my reasoning because I know there are people who will ask - every forum has "those guys" :) ):
  1. Change the gearing of the saw by increasing the number of drive teeth. (Since I seem to be limited to a semi-chisel chain - which as I understand doesn't cut as aggressively as a plain chisel - I want to speed up the chain; lighter cuts, just more frequently.)
  2. Covert the spur drive to a rim and drum drive. (To my engineering mind, rim and drum seems more robust.)
If I can get both, AWESOME. If I can only get one of the 2, so be it; it's still an improvement. If I can't get either... well, I guess I can't get Corvette performance out of a Honda.

None of the local chainsaw dealers were any help. They only carry brand S or brand H. However, they will happily sell me a new saw.

I called Poulan and they were no help. They would only give me parts information from the factory part's diagram. They wouldn't give me any information about parts that would be used to "modify" the saw.

I called Bailey's and Anthony was very helpful, but he didn't find anything that he could cross reference to that would get either of the above done. He suggested that I hit up one of the forums, so here I am.

Anyone?

Thanks.

That saw probably will not have enough power to pull a 7 tooth. The best thing to do is get anew 6 tooth then find a dealer who will make you up a loop of oregon 91 lopro or stihl ps or ps 3 lopro, your saw will take any 3/8 lopro but these 3 are probably the best.
The styhl are both full chisle.

Ok, so let's forget speeding up the chain. I guess a Honda will only perform as well as a Honda was designed to perform.

What about a 6 tooth rim and drum that would fit? Perhaps I can at least upgrade the transmission on that Honda.

I'll try to get my hands on some PS3 green label (I'm obviously not a pro, and in the immortal words of Harry, "a man's got to know his limitations".)

Latest posts

Back