Poulan Pro 5020av review

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustJeff

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
image.jpg Hi all,
I came across this site while researching a chainsaw purchase. I read some mixed reviews about this saw so I thought I'd throw my experience into the mix. About me, I'm a homeowner who installed a wood stove last winter after the great propane price hike of 2013/14. LOVE the wood heat and am kicking myself for not getting a stove until now. Anyways I bought wood split and delivered last year. This year I came across a pickup load of free wood and got thinking that there might be more out there so I put an ad on kijiji a popular site here in Canada. Long story short, I found an older gent who had many tree tops left from logging and said I could have all I wanted free if I'd cut for him too. I went down to my local small engine guy and he advised a dolmar 6100 with an 18" bar at 6 hundred and some odd dollars! Which is more than I paid for wood last year. Which brings us to the Poulan Pro 5020av on sale for $249 at tractor supply.
I read the manual and followed instructions and the saw started first pull. Seemed to run good and made the rough "four stroking" sound at full throttle. I noodled a hunk of wood I had to break it in and off to the woods I went.
As a noob, there was a learning curve about how and where to cut and I pinched the bar several times. I cut several weekends running the saw all day when I wasn't panting or guzzling water. And several evenings as well. I'd cut a top for the land owner and one for me. I'm still splitting and stacking but I have 16 face cord done so far and best guess is another 5-6 in the pile. So I'm easily over 30 cord cut with this saw and I have never tuned it. Even on the factory chain. I cut until I need a break then hit it a couple licks with the file and a guide and it peels little corn chip looking pieces out. I'm cutting 75% hard maple and the rest ash. Except for a 12" rock elm that would make the odd spark when I cut it! Man that stuff is hard! A couple of the ash were whole trees that were 30"+ and it took like 10 minutes to cut through! I'd fill the tanks after every cut!
I feel this saw was well worth the money and recommend it for any homeowner.
Unfortunately this site has contaminated me with a sickness and all I can think about is chainsaws. I have since bought a $35 craftspoulan 33cc that I muffler modded and learned to tune. It actually screams pretty good for what it is and pulls a 16" carlton bar and chain. And a $50 stihl 032av electronic with 18" bar that ran like crap until I cleaned and tuned it. Now I am scanning the ads for a bigger saw that I can run a 24-25" bar on for some of the bigger wood I come across.

Thanks. After creepin around you guys, I have an urge to muffler mod it but it runs so good now I'm afraid to mess it up. I have 2 sweet running 50cc saws but I think I need a 70. Just have to wait for the right deal. If I didn't just shell out for a new washing machine I might have walked down the street and come home with a 6400-7300-7900 dolmar. I like the looks of those.

All the good stuff I have read about the 5020, I wish Poulan would make a cheap 70, and maybe retail it for around 300 bucks new price. If they can do a 50 for 200 bucks, then...seems reasonable.

congrats on your other new saw, that price qualifies for a YOU SUCK! hahahaha

Man, I hope you had a helmet on when you dropped that! It looks like the kind of tree that would be trying to drop all manner of junk on you.

I do not need any more saws, but a PP5020 is one I want.

Aluminum cylinder, mag case, plastic handle, recoil and top cover.... Sounds just like my 70cc husky. Lol. I think they won't because their market is homeowner equipment sold at big box stores. I know husqvarna owns poulan. I can see the marketing advantage of having a homeowner quality husky (the 450 husky and the 5020av look suspiciously alike) to bring the name into the hands of the masses. Then when Harry needs a bigger saw, he looks to the brand he already has. I don't see any advantage in them making a 70cc saw for half price when the market is so much smaller for larger saws. Too bad for me. The cheapskate.

It sounds like the saw has paid for itself, and is still going strong.. more than I can say about the 2 PP 2418AVX's I have.. I got them for free and they haven't paid for themselves.. for me or the previous owners.

A lot of people think that, but they are very different, especially in the engine design.
the exterior design of the saw doesn't say much.. heck you could call every modern saw "suspiciously similar".. I don't know the design of either of the saws in question, but without looking inside, perhaps the Poulan is a clamshell, while the husky isn't

Oh is that so? I saw the similarities and looked up the specs which seem to be the same. What differences are there that would make one the better saw?

the exterior design of the saw doesn't say much.. heck you could call every modern saw "suspiciously similar".. I don't know the design of either of the saws in question, but without looking inside, perhaps the Poulan is a clamshell, while the husky isn't

They are both strato clamshells.

The 450 has the Husqvarna style long transfer runners fed from a centrally located inlet in the case below the exhaust port. It also has the Husky style construction where the engine cap is an insert molded into the plastic case.

The 5020 has Poulan style straight transfers cast as open runners, but with a plastic insert to turn them into closed transfers. It also has a separate metal clamshell cap.

Latest posts

Back