poulan pro pp5020av dies after you put a hard load on it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon wittmer

Reaction score
I just bought a poulan pro pp5020av took and had the carb adjusted today and it starts idles and revs good but when I'm sawing iF you put the motor into a hard load it dies when the rpms come back down then you have to crank 20-30 times and it'll start back but idles really high then after a few seconds comes back down and is fine agian would like to try and get it right myself it's a hour drive back to that guy agian

Welcome, Brandon. There is an entire thread on this saw...search it out and start reading.

Your problem could be simple or complicated. Did you buy this saw used or new?

I bought it reman so it's still under warrant if it's something serious but kinda think it's carb tuning but have never really done any small carb adjusting

i'm not gonna go tell you to do anything i say cause i don't know if your skill level is up to this. your high low speed is not synced. your H is to rich for your L so when you let off the trigger the left over (excessive) fuel fed by the H cannot be burned because the throttle butterfly is not opened far enough making the mixture to rich. the fix is lean out your high. this can only go 2 ways. your low is either to lean or your high is to rich. if you richen up the low and open the butterfly further to keep the idle normal it will have the air needed to burn the excessive fuel left by the high. i have no idea where your settings are at currently so i can't say which way you gotta go. anybody who has tuned a walbro HD6 knows what syncing L/H means cause that carb be tricky to get'er done. would need to hear your saw run to know which way the needles need to go.

Alright sounds just about what I was thinking would you be able to tell via video if I were to make a clip tomorrow morning? I am pretty mechanically inclined but I normally work on big engines so unless it's got a holly carb I'm new to it :)

i can usually tell from a vid if you wanna go ahead and post one up tomorrow. gonna be hunting in the AM but i will respond when back if no one else does.

low side lean. mine did the same thing turned low out a hair and seems to have fixed it

IMG_20160829_143556.jpg I you don't want to buy the adjuster tool this is what I tuned my PP5020 I got off CL with. Redneck answer to the splined adjusters.

Latest posts

Back