Poulan S25DA ignition question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did the new coil work out ??

You cant mount a solid state coil to a saw that had points in it.

The mounting pattern on the cylinder for the coils are different for the points ignition vs the solid state.

Do you know that part # for the solid state coil ?? I am looking for one myself.

Last part # I know of is 530039141

No longer to be had from Poulan, but shouldn't be too hard to find one.

I'm pretty sure your wrong on the coil mountings on the cylinders. Coils should mount the same, but the flywheels maybe different.

another thought

if this is an extremly high milage saw the carb could have a leek where the throtle plate runs through and might need a new bushing east way to check this spray white lithium grease around the shaft this will seal it up temporarly and tell you if this is the problem after its starts if its better then theres the problem and get the carb kit.

Wow you guys are great! Thank you for the fast responses. I'll start looking for a carb kit. As far as that coil goes you might be right. If I bolted it up it hit the flywheel. So a different flywheel probably would have done the trick.

How did the new coil work out ??

You cant mount a solid state coil to a saw that had points in it.

The mounting pattern on the cylinder for the coils are different for the points ignition vs the solid state.

Do you know that part # for the solid state coil ?? I am looking for one myself.

I sent the coil back because it turned out to be the points. I got it from KT Saws in KY. Google them they my still have it. I think I paid $35 for it.

Carb kits are readily available.

Some had a tilly carb & some had walbro.

No carb kit, not even sure if I could get one. Wanted to ask before throwing a bunch of parts at it. I will look for one and check the flywheel. I'll check the seal on the bottom of the carb too. Compression seems low but it reads the same as this Allis Chalmers 75 I have and that runs great so I'm thinking it must be somthing else. The AC 75 is the same saw. Anyone have a line on a carb kit?

I am positive that the coils mount different between the 2

I have/had several S25's some with points & some with solid state that I tried to put together & get 2 running saws out of. Thats how I found out they were different.

I had a real nice one that was solid state that had a dead coil.

I figured that I would use a points coil & then use an atom chip on it.

No-go: coils would not interchange. Made me mad as he!!

Last part # I know of is 530039141

No longer to be had from Poulan, but shouldn't be too hard to find one.

I'm pretty sure your wrong on the coil mountings on the cylinders. Coils should mount the same, but the flywheels maybe different.

I am positive that the coils mount different between the 2

I have/had several S25's some with points & some with solid state that I tried to put together & get 2 running saws out of. Thats how I found out they were different.

I had a real nice one that was solid state that had a dead coil.

I figured that I would use a points coil & then use an atom chip on it.

No-go: coils would not interchange. Made me mad as he!!

From what your saying then the whole cylinder would have been changed since the coil mounting studs are cast into the cylinder. Don't think they changed the whole cylinder just to go to electroinic ign , flywheels were probably different.

Most of the old S25DA's that I come across all have had bad fuel lines on them. They dry out and develop cracks. They can be a pain to replace, but a piece of wire and some fishing will get the job done. Make sure you use plenty of fuel line when you do it. It sucks to fish it through the passages and come up an inch short.

here are pics of the solid state vs points coils

From what your saying then the whole cylinder would have been changed since the coil mounting studs are cast into the cylinder. Don't think they changed the whole cylinder just to go to electroinic ign , flywheels were probably different.

Thanks for going through the trouble to post those pictures. Looks like indeed there could be mounting differences. That would have meant there were different part #'s on the cylinders that I don't remember.

I only have 1 S25 left here at this time, and was going by failing memory.

The flywheels will also be different between the two also.

I see that those are Craftsman versions, are they both 2.3ci versions? Seems like alot of the yellow ones were 2.1ci.

One is a Sears (points 2.1) & the other is a Wizzard (solid state 2.3)

I have another Sears 2.3 that has points & is a good runner.
Also have a few S25DA that need coils.

I did not know the flywheels were different between the 2 (another headache)

I had the saws on a shelf in my shop, so the pics were no biggie.

I am hoping to find a good coil for the wizzard. Been looking off & on for years...

I am hoping to find a good coil for the wizzard. Been looking off & on for years...

Mike I have a few parts S25DA's in the bone yard. I will take a look and see what I can come up with for a coil for you.

Do the coils fit between the 2.1 and the 2.3? Just wondering, if the diffence in the coil mounting is between the 2.

Makes sense the yellow one is a 2.1, holds true to what I was thinking, probably has a plastic sliding on/off switch also?

Last edited:
Carb kit

Believe it or not napa can order the kits far any small engine carb ever made thats more then 2 years old just take the carb down to your local napa or find the numbers on the carb make model ect and call them . I used to get alot of requests for saw parts when I worked at napa and almost all of them are in the catalogs .

The points type coils are the same on the 2.1 & the 2.3 if thats what you meant.

Do the coils fit between the 2.1 and the 2.3? Just wondering, if the diffence in the coil mounting is between the 2.

Makes sense the yellow one is a 2.1, holds true to what I was thinking, probably has a plastic sliding on/off switch also?

Back