Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out Saturday morning after breakfast to fall a dead red fir that we've had our eye on since last fall. Father in law and brother in law and I. Ended up being about a cord all said and done.
I'd say we had enough saws for the job and the 3 of us. We had a Canadian 8500 (orange), a 5400, my 5200 and my S25CVA for limbing and a 4400. A bit overkill but we all wanted to run our
saws. Here are a few pics from the outing.

View attachment 428191
View attachment 428192
View attachment 428193
Is all u have to cut is firs? Must go thru a lot of wood.

I found a good PP335 with the angular husqv-style case, and it had become disabled the same way my 330 was -- someone had misconnected the impulse and vent lines.

Would I have needed to remove the tank to install a new impulse hose? It did help me get to know the new saw but I didn't find much, except a square washer on the front left AV corner that doesn't look exactly right.

It is a type 1, Poulan/Weed Eater, White Consolidated 1K237D777. Does this information provide a way to date it?

It has the HDA 49 carb. Is there a better one? I plan to open the muffler.

I would like it better with a chain brake. When I ordered a chain brake for my 380 it came with a muffler too. In general does adding a chain brake improve or reduce the value of a PP3xx? I know -- I have saved the all the original covers. Just askin.

The vent assembly is missing, no duckbill, tubing joiner or cap. Temporarily I have a crimped off hose in the hole. I will try my Husqv dealer, right?

Thanks

Don

As far as the vent goes, you could always just add an Echo tank vent to the end of the hose you crimped if you can't find the tank fitting.
I don't know the PN for the fitting for the vent line but the duckbill is 530026119

I don't remember if you have to remove the tank to replace the impulse line as I removed the tank to replace the lower front AV rubber which are very often broken.

I didn't find it hard to work on.

The chain brakes are not easy to find nor are parts for them. They add a fair bit of perceived weigh to the saw.

Not sure about the carb. Mine s a 285 which is the same but only 46 cc. It's a good saw.

Here are a couple of IPL's that aren't to great but they may help you. They both cover 285, 305 and 335 saws.

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/partslist/poulanpropp335chainsaw.pdf

Attachments

• 285 IPL.pdf
    130.1 KB · Views: 1
Went out Saturday morning after breakfast to fall a dead red fir that we've had our eye on since last fall. Father in law and brother in law and I. Ended up being about a cord all said and done.
I'd say we had enough saws for the job and the 3 of us. We had a Canadian 8500 (orange), a 5400, my 5200 and my S25CVA for limbing and a 4400. A bit overkill but we all wanted to run our
saws. Here are a few pics from the outing.

View attachment 428191
View attachment 428192
View attachment 428193

Wow! Thats over 360cc of old Poulans & a BIG Christmas tree! :D I think ya had the power needs covered! Great pics again Nate. I have found that cutting wood with friends or family, is always much more fun. Lot less like work.

Have you ever posted pics of the Canadian 8500? If you did, I must have missed it. Never knew there was such an animal.

Gregg,

Wow! Thats over 360cc of old Poulans & a BIG Christmas tree! :D I think ya had the power needs covered! Great pics again Nate. I have found that cutting wood with friends or family, is always much more fun. Lot less like work.

Have you ever posted pics of the Canadian 8500? If you did, I must have missed it. Never knew there was such an animal.

Gregg,

Thanks Gregg, it's a blast with those two! The Canadian 8500 has been in a few pics but not on its own. It's my father in laws. Here is a better picture of it. (Don't worry most of those Stihl's are gone or aren't ours :) It's an older pic)

20140830_122735.jpg

I found a good PP335 with the angular husqv-style case, and it had become disabled the same way my 330 was -- someone had misconnected the impulse and vent lines.

Would I have needed to remove the tank to install a new impulse hose? It did help me get to know the new saw but I didn't find much, except a square washer on the front left AV corner that doesn't look exactly right.

It is a type 1, Poulan/Weed Eater, White Consolidated 1K237D777. Does this information provide a way to date it?

It has the HDA 49 carb. Is there a better one? I plan to open the muffler.

I would like it better with a chain brake. When I ordered a chain brake for my 380 it came with a muffler too. In general does adding a chain brake improve or reduce the value of a PP3xx? I know -- I have saved the all the original covers. Just askin.

The vent assembly is missing, no duckbill, tubing joiner or cap. Temporarily I have a crimped off hose in the hole. I will try my Husqv dealer, right?

Thanks

Don

You don't have to remove tank to install the impulse line just the carb, and if you have a duckbill the tank vent is easy to install . Also, there is a clutch cover with chainbrake on E-bay right now if you're interested .

With wood stoves for heat in the winter we use quite a bit.
Nice pile of Doug and some healthy looking forest there Nate. Really good firewood for these parts. Better than birch IMHO and waaaay less ash. Using a modern air tight with secondary combustion, my consumption is about 30-40% less with proper loading/cycling. You are going to need a trailer just for your saws.

You don't have to remove tank to install the impulse line just the carb, and if you have a duckbill the tank vent is easy to install . Also, there is a clutch cover with chainbrake on E-bay right now if you're interested .

Thanks Big Dan. Would I use needle-nose pliers? or how do you do reach the impulse nipple? I could not even see it before I removed the tank, but I did not know exactly where I was looking and there was a black stub from the old hose covering the brass.

Regarding the vent, I still did not check my husqv dealer for the parts. It looks to me like the duckbill goes on the fitting which is attached to the hose and pulled up through the smaller hole in the tank, just behind the larger fuel-hose hole.

And thanks for the ebay pointer -- I see a 365 unit there.

The larger hole in the front is for the vent.
Thanks Big Dan. Would I use needle-nose pliers? or how do you do reach the impulse nipple? I could not even see it before I removed the tank, but I did not know exactly where I was looking and there was a black stub from the old hose covering the brass.

Regarding the vent, I still did not check my husqv dealer for the parts. It looks to me like the duckbill goes on the fitting which is attached to the hose and pulled up through the smaller hole in the tank, just behind the larger fuel-hose hole.

And thanks for the ebay pointer -- I see a 365 unit there.

I've got a Craftsman 3.3 via eBay in route. Supposed to have a recent carb rebuild & new fuel lines, a runner ready to cut. It looks pretty clean in the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-3...scIxSLU9RFMoIIQf5S1GU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hope that I'm not jinxing myself.

----------------------------------------------
Gripe: I bought a used Poulan Pro PP125 line trimmer to clean-up a majorly overgrown yard. It's not bad for 25cc trimmer....but....I broke the starter rope, and found out that it needs to be taken nearly completely apart to replace the rope.

Nice pile of Doug and some healthy looking forest there Nate. Really good firewood for these parts. Better than birch IMHO and waaaay less ash. Using a modern air tight with secondary combustion, my consumption is about 30-40% less with proper loading/cycling. You are going to need a trailer just for your saws.

Thanks Cory, I don't know much about their wood stove, I just help get the wood for it:) Your right about the saws, we do need a trailer or another rig! Normally we don't take that many saws but
we all were wanting to tune a few and try a couple for the first time.
But yeah when you get at least 3 saws, 2 splitting malls, a peavy, a chain and couple cables, fuel and a bucket with tools that takes up some room as well!

Thanks. That means all three hoses were in the wrong places. So what do you think? Could the impulse pressurize the fuel tank enough to make it run for a minute? The previous owner said it would start and run, then die.

I wouldn't think so but I always hooked them up right! LOL

You can use a long pair of hemostats to connect that impulse line on the case, its what I use.

I've got a Craftsman 3.3 via eBay in route. Supposed to have a recent carb rebuild & new fuel lines, a runner ready to cut. It looks pretty clean in the photos.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-3-3-Chainsaw-/271875763194?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=JIys5oscIxSLU9RFMoIIQf5S1GU%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Hope that I'm not jinxing myself.

----------------------------------------------
Gripe: I bought a used Poulan Pro PP125 line trimmer to clean-up a majorly overgrown yard. It's not bad for 25cc trimmer....but....I broke the starter rope, and found out that it needs to be taken nearly completely apart to replace the rope.

You can't get hurt bad for that money! Good job.

Thanks Cory, I don't know much about their wood stove, I just help get the wood for it:) Your right about the saws, we do need a trailer or another rig! Normally we don't take that many saws but
we all were wanting to tune a few and try a couple for the first time.
But yeah when you get at least 3 saws, 2 splitting malls, a peavy, a chain and couple cables, fuel and a bucket with tools that takes up some room as well!

Or you could have got a bit more masculine truck with a 8' bed. :ices_rofl:

Thanks. That means all three hoses were in the wrong places. So what do you think? Could the impulse pressurize the fuel tank enough to make it run for a minute? The previous owner said it would start and run, then die.
I don't know how it's possible but my PP365 did the same thing when I got it. The impulse line was gone and it still tried to run. At the time I didn't even know what an impulse line was or where it went, then Modified Mark was generous enough to call me and walk me through trouble shooting it and it's been a great saw since then

I wouldn't think so but I always hooked them up right! LOL

You can use a long pair of hemostats to connect that impulse line on the case, its what I use.

Well I am glad I didn't have to do it that way, but when I get to redoing my craftsmen 3.3s and 3.7s I will give it a whirl. Thanks. I don't know why I am so much more enthusiastic about digging into the yellow ones.

Would you be willing to share your opinion on adding a chain brake to this saw? Don

Back