Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks much. I've previously used a flat file, never thought about a dremel cutoff. gonna do that.
the stock ones that came off have square ends. have you ever determined the difference in compression with a notch versus square? oh yeah, the locator pins on this piston are not offset at all. seems stupid to me but there it is.

Ordered two more sets of those Caber 0.063" thickness P245 rings from the Greek last week, in case their postal service shuts down because of the bankruptcy...they got out of there in time.

Here's a 2015 Darwin award winner for sure!
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/man-dies-after-shooting-firework-from-top-of-his-head/ar-AAcBdj5

Seen that one and is a partner 5500. It went right on the money in the mid hundred range and had the newer clutch cover added.

I have sold 2. Nicest one was in the $2hundred range. Other nice runner but not as good looking thinking just under 2hundred.

Real good prices. Mine is in great shape. Unfortunately I rarely use it. Same thing with my Jonsereds 49sp.

Hello Poulan fans. I recently found a very nice Poulan Pro Farm Saw 375 with a lime green bow locally near Richmond, VA. Nice saw, good p/c, and fairly nice cosmetics. I'm beginning the process of going through her now. The drive cover is not the best but I have picked up a metal cover that Jeremiah Johnson let me know about. Thanks JJ!

I have several Poulans in the 3400-4000 Countervibe Series (Dayton & Skil colors too) and love working on them. I also lucked out a year ago and got a Poulan 8500 with a chain brake. That thing is just a horse. One of the 4000's I have has a working chain brake as well which I enjoy, and so does my oldest Daughter. This is due mostly to the "safety factor".

My questions are: How common or popular are/were the chain brakes for the 3400-4000 CV Series of saws? I look continously on eBay and CL and just do not see them. Is it possibly a regional/part of the CONUS thing, an expensive or rare option that people hold onto, made for a limited time, or were they just never that popular when the saws were new?

Thanks for your time and input, and I look forward to learning more. Max, FamilyTradition.

Hello Poulan fans. I recently found a very nice Poulan Pro Farm Saw 375 with a lime green bow locally near Richmond, VA. Nice saw, good p/c, and fairly nice cosmetics. I'm beginning the process of going through her now. The drive cover is not the best but I have picked up a metal cover that Jeremiah Johnson let me know about. Thanks JJ!

I have several Poulans in the 3400-4000 Countervibe Series (Dayton & Skil colors too) and love working on them. I also lucked out a year ago and got a Poulan 8500 with a chain brake. That thing is just a horse. One of the 4000's I have has a working chain brake as well which I enjoy, and so does my oldest Daughter. This is due mostly to the "safety factor".

My questions are: How common or popular are/were the chain brakes for the 3400-4000 CV Series of saws? I look continously on eBay and CL and just do not see them. Is it possibly a regional/part of the CONUS thing, an expensive or rare option that people hold onto, made for a limited time, or were they just never that popular when the saws were new?

Thanks for your time and input, and I look forward to learning more. Max, FamilyTradition.

3400 - 4000 built for the Canadian market came with chain brakes. Most were red and not Poulan green. U.S. Built saws did not have chain brakes. Least I've never seen one.

Did that saw come from Powhatan? If so, glad you got it. I have a couple of chain brake kits for the larger Countervibe series, but have never seen one for the 3400 - 4000 series.

Gary, you're correct, it did come from Powhatan! I saw the listing and had my Dad run out from his house and grab it for me. I love Homelite's as well, but he said they were quite rough, and I don't believe they were SXL's either. Some good saws/parts saws for sure, especially with the bows. I will try to upload a picture of the green 4000 I have with the chain brake later this week. Best, Max.

Poulan 8500 and 4000 with chainbrakes.jpeg Poulan 4000 Chainbrake.jpeg
My apologies for the poor picture quality and hopefully they come through. Here is the 8500 with chain brake, and the green 4000 with chain brake. The 4000's decals indicate it is a Louisana manufactured saw for what it's worth. I have to tell you, I love running the 4000 with the chain brake, as does my oldest.

View attachment 434520 View attachment 434521
My apologies for the poor picture quality and hopefully they come through. Here is the 8500 with chain brake, and the green 4000 with chain brake. The 4000's decals indicate it is a Louisana manufactured saw for what it's worth. I have to tell you, I love running the 4000 with the chain brake, as does my oldest.

Sweet saws, the chain brakes are cool on those!

I always thought when the change to the pro 375-395 occurred chain brakes were standard equipment.

Gary, you're correct, it did come from Powhatan! I saw the listing and had my Dad run out from his house and grab it for me. I love Homelite's as well, but he said they were quite rough, and I don't believe they were SXL's either. Some good saws/parts saws for sure, especially with the bows. I will try to upload a picture of the green 4000 I have with the chain brake later this week. Best, Max.

I texted him last week, but by the time he responded all the bow saws were gone. However, he did offer me 2 Wright blade saws for $125 each. Glad you got it rather than the guy constantly running the Wanted ad using pictures of 2 of my saws.

question for the group.
took apart and cleaned a 361. put new seals and rings in. when I put the new AM seals in I noticed it didn't want to turn over easily; I thought maybe the seals were tight cause they're AM. put the piston and cylinder on last night and it turns hard right at TDC. both the slug and jug are adequately lubricated as is the lower end. now I don't know if its the seals or something else
when installed the seals the flywheel seal was much wider then OE (0.188 vs. 0.125). thinking I might have mashed it against bearing but can't say unless I take it out and try again. hate to waste a new seal.
what say yall?

Wonder if that one was specifically for the Simpson Sears store in Toronto? Def haven't seen that design of sticker either.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

question for the group.
took apart and cleaned a 361. put new seals and rings in. when I put the new AM seals in I noticed it didn't want to turn over easily; I thought maybe the seals were tight cause they're AM. put the piston and cylinder on last night and it turns hard right at TDC. both the slug and jug are adequately lubricated as is the lower end. now I don't know if its the seals or something else
when installed the seals the flywheel seal was much wider then OE (0.188 vs. 0.125). thinking I might have mashed it against bearing but can't say unless I take it out and try again. hate to waste a new seal.
what say yall?
Only difficult turning over at TDC, or difficult everywhere but more so at TDC(I assume you mean with plug out?)?

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

question for the group.
what say yall?
Pull the flywheel and see if the seal got pushed in.

Back