Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
l managed to put on the 5400 cyl 012092 and not the 5200 cyl 11259 according to my lPL. l install new aftermarket piston assy from Lil Red Barn USA, everything seems to go together good. Next step is to fuel it up and hopefully l do not need to pour anymore money into it.

Just curious. Did you change the rings out for Cabers or are you using the rings that came with the piston?

I am curious of what you think of the Lil Red Barn piston once you get it running. I have seen their stuff for sale but have never tried any of it.

l like the price point and Lee has sold a lot of the piston assy according to his website USA made. The Piston Rings are not thin. They are thick and measure 1.25mm compared to the thinner rings at 0.70mm. the the piston asst skirt measurements seem to be the same except for l notice at the Btm shirt edge it steps down a little size but not much. perhaps tomorrow l can get a pic of the 2 pistons. to show. Other than that piston looks good.

Just curious. Did you change the rings out for Cabers or are you using the rings that came with the piston?

Tim l am not at this point using the Cabers and was going to go with the complete kit assy. why ,do know or have heard something. l have already removed the cyl and tomorrow get it back together properly

Tim l am not at this point using the Cabers and was going to go with the complete kit assy. why ,do know or have heard something. l have already removed the cyl and tomorrow get it back together properly
Are you going to put the 5200 cylinder on this time? Or use the 5400/ 8500 cylinder again? How did the barn piston kit go on? Pin etc slide in ok?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

One guy I know bought a Super XLAO piston and had very low compression readings. I think around 90 psi. Cabers brought it up to 130. Neither set had been run in and I don't know the condition of the cylinder. He has done a number of rebuilds though.
He's happy the way it runs now.
The thick cast rings are a bonus. Ar least they can be found. One PNW logger I know talks about the thin rings in the 2100 Huskys back when he was logging. The thin rings didn't last the season. Not good when you're making your living with a saw.

Looking forward as to how it turns out for you.

One guy I know bought a Super XLAO piston and had very low compression readings. I think around 90 psi. Cabers brought it up to 130. Neither set had been run in and I don't know the condition of the cylinder. He has done a number of rebuilds though.
He's happy the way it runs now.
The thick cast rings are a bonus. Ar least they can be found. One PNW logger I know talks about the thin rings in the 2100 Huskys back when he was logging. The thin rings didn't last the season. Not good when you're making your living with a saw.

Looking forward as to how it turns out for you.

l will do a compression test when l install cyl before firing it up. l would expect it to be 150 and up before the rings seat. As comparision l have a4200 and if l remember last time l did a PSI it was around 175psi

My 5200 is 150 psi, 4200 170, 8500 185. I have a set of rings for the 5200 but it runs so strong I don't think I need to change them.

I figure the 5200 will eat a Homelite 925 and any of the 82cc Pioneers. I wish could find a decent log around 30" in diameter to really get a good assessment on the three saws.

All great saws though and fun to run.

My 5200 is 150 psi, 4200 170, 8500 185. I have a set of rings for the 5200 but it runs so strong I don't think I need to change them.

I figure the 5200 will eat a Homelite 925 and any of the 82cc Pioneers. I wish could find a decent log around 30" in diameter to really get a good assessment on the three saws.

Those 5200's will eat a Mac 850 as well.

Tim, I owned 4 SXL925's at one time, and feel I can comment on that comparison. A healty 925 is no slouch in the power dept and may give a 5200 a good run, but thats where it stops, the weight, no AV, poor cooling, hard pulling starter, vapor locking don't put in even in the same class.

l still love the Pioneers though, oooops l might get in trouble here. l see your numbers are all over the board.

If I'm not mistaken, my 3400 piston kit from lil red barn was China made, pin was too small for the rod and had to stake the piston pin bearings into the piston, don't know why they sent cir clips, piston wasn't machined for them. Called them about the problems, said they would look into it but never heard back.

Steve

Ok, need a lil help on this. Trying to pull my fuel tank on my 3400 and can't seem to make it move but one ince. What's y'all guys handyman secret weapon besides duck tape? When I put the tank in a few years back it just slide right in with no problem. Tank is clean all around and don't see what could be binding it in place.

Steve

Ok, need a lil help on this. Trying to pull my fuel tank on my 3400 and can't seem to make it move but one ince. What's y'all guys handyman secret weapon besides duck tape? When I put the tank in a few years back it just slide right in with no problem. Tank is clean all around and don't see what could be binding it in place.

Steve
Grease it up, it should slide right in. I mean out no in out in

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken, my 3400 piston kit from lil red barn was China made, pin was too small for the rod and had to stake the piston pin bearings into the piston, don't know why they sent cir clips, piston wasn't machined for them. Called them about the problems, said they would look into it but never heard back.

Steve

Steve sorry to hear about those Problems you recently had . l personally have not had a bad expierence with product. China made is not mentioned on their web page, l did ask the question before making my purchase and was told by Lee they are USA made. The reviews are good and the amount of sales are impressive. That's the info l went by to purchase.

Latest posts

Back