Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark. I'll block it off tomorrow . If that doesn't work I'll swap the 168 off the 4200.

If it don't fix it, it can't hurt anything.

Honestly I have only had a couple that I know were bad, one acted like your describing, the other was just so damn rich all over the place it would barely run. That was the first one too and before I realized what was going on with those governors. That 306 almost got run over by my truck before I figured it out.

I ain't sayin, your wanting to come steal some saws while I ain't home right? :ices_rofl:

Seriously, its early in the morning. Should be no biggie, they are putting me out for this one.,

No, if I wanted to steal saws, I would say "Can I come over and steal some saws, please?". I am polite, what kind of jerk do you take me for?

Seriously, I like to pray for people and thought I would say one for you during the procedure. Had one person get a heart surgery canceled. There is power in prayer.

Sigh, I haven't had a chance to run the PP5020 yet. Just been too blasted busy. Shoot, it is still on the box.

No, if I wanted to steal saws, I would say "Can I come over and steal some saws, please?". I am polite, what kind of jerk do you take me for?

Seriously, I like to pray for people and thought I would say one for you during the procedure. Had one person get a heart surgery canceled. There is power in prayer.

Sigh, I haven't had a chance to run the PP5020 yet. Just been too blasted busy. Shoot, it is still on the box.

Well, thanks for that but this is just a simple deal, I know everything can have risks this should be a small one.

Save them up for later though as I have a feeling I have a couple surgeries coming. I'll pray then too, that the surgeon don't come in all hungover or coughing while he's cutting or something.

Poulan 2055 Type 5 fast idle button not working. I want to get this thing running to give to my son. I bought it at a yard sale and this morning I put a primer bulb, air filter and carb kit in it. It does ok starting up to where I push the choke off. Then I have to hold the throttle down with my right hand a pull with my left to get it running. It's not really obvious to me how to get the handle apart and see what's going on. If it was just me I might not worry about but I like for everything to work on things I give the kids.
Cannonpoulan 2055 001.JPG

after watchin the 91 vid, would like to run mine [71] w/bar, just to see how it does. curious what works... no bar plates. have only run w/bow. tia...

View attachment 572484

Well Pete you would need a correct straight bar and the Poulan bar mount for those were kind of there own. They had a kinda in between tail and used square adjuster holes to fit up right with the kinda different adjuster pin thingie. You have to pay attention to the Poulan bars as some were direct drive only and some were for gear drive only. Some of the gear drive versions had a really large tail as well to match up to the big 1/2" X 8 tooth sprockets.

100_2253 (Custom).JPG 20140906_114628 (Custom).jpg

Your clutch cover is a special one specifically made for that cast bow mount. I don't have one like that and I'm not sure how well it will work with a flat plate bow or a standard bar.

All that said, if you don't have a OEM bar, I found that some of the Oregon "Universal" mounts are the only after market bars that will fit up without modification. There were a couple sized Universal mounts though. The Universal mounts were the ones with multiple adjuster holes and oiler holes. Poulan actually sold Poulan branded Universal bars at one time, I have a service bulletin about it and how Poulan dealers would be able to sell bars to non Poulan saw owners that way.

Other bars can be adapted without much drama though, most of the older bars from Clinton and such can work with some oiler and adjuster hole modification.

There are others out there with universal type mounts as well, here is a Pennfield bar like that. I'll have to Photo the Oregon version. 100_7106 (Custom).JPG

So find a bar thats close and you should be able to make it work, but you need to start with a larger tail mount then the regular D176, D196, large husky etc bars.

Poulan 2055 Type 5 fast idle button not working. I want to get this thing running to give to my son. I bought it at a yard sale and this morning I put a primer bulb, air filter and carb kit in it. It does ok starting up to where I push the choke off. Then I have to hold the throttle down with my right hand a pull with my left to get it running. It's not really obvious to me how to get the handle apart and see what's going on. If it was just me I might not worry about but I like for everything to work on things I give the kids.
CannonView attachment 572545

If the throttle lock isn't giving a fast enough fast idle, you will probably need to actually bend the throttle wire to get it where it needs to be.

after watchin the 91 vid, would like to run mine [71] w/bar, just to see how it does. curious what works... no bar plates. have only run w/bow. tia...View attachment 572484

BTW, I love that cast mount bow setup on that. I have a plate bow for my 71A You can see the difference in the bar clamps and how yours is much thinner to work with the cast mount. DSCF0846 (Custom).JPG

My 71A came with a original hard to fine Poulan 31" straight bar

100_4045 (Medium).JPG

I have what looks like a 306a top end. The note measures 1.845" it is larger than a 306A but smaller than a 245A. It is very close to a 401. Could this be a overbore remanufactured 306A?
9fee104d474e7028922f0958d3ec2184.jpg
bd8a06cc2e62269993c365a5b3057f0f.jpg

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

If it don't fix it, it can't hurt anything.

Honestly I have only had a couple that I know were bad, one acted like your describing, the other was just so damn rich all over the place it would barely run. That was the first one too and before I realized what was going on with those governors. That 306 almost got run over by my truck before I figured it out.

I blocked off the governor and it seems to be working fine and holding it's tune. I'll cut some more with it tomorrow or Saturday to make sure.

Thanks for the help.

Well Pete you would need a correct straight bar and the Poulan bar mount for those were kind of there own. They had a kinda in between tail and used square adjuster holes to fit up right with the kinda different adjuster pin thingie. You have to pay attention to the Poulan bars as some were direct drive only and some were for gear drive only. Some of the gear drive versions had a really large tail as well to match up to the big 1/2" X 8 tooth sprockets.

View attachment 572573 View attachment 572574

Your clutch cover is a special one specifically made for that cast bow mount. I don't have one like that and I'm not sure how well it will work with a flat plate bow or a standard bar.

All that said, if you don't have a OEM bar, I found that some of the Oregon "Universal" mounts are the only after market bars that will fit up without modification. There were a couple sized Universal mounts though. The Universal mounts were the ones with multiple adjuster holes and oiler holes. Poulan actually sold Poulan branded Universal bars at one time, I have a service bulletin about it and how Poulan dealers would be able to sell bars to non Poulan saw owners that way.

Other bars can be adapted without much drama though, most of the older bars from Clinton and such can work with some oiler and adjuster hole modification.

There are others out there with universal type mounts as well, here is a Pennfield bar like that. I'll have to Photo the Oregon version. View attachment 572575

So find a bar thats close and you should be able to make it work, but you need to start with a larger tail mount then the regular D176, D196, large husky etc bars.

thanks. appreciate all the explainin. not the simple swap I was hopin for, esp just for a test ride. it is my one & only s/c, bow.

BTW, I love that cast mount bow setup on that. I have a plate bow for my 71A You can see the difference in the bar clamps and how yours is much thinner to work with the cast mount. View attachment 572576

My 71A came with a original hard to fine Poulan 31" straight bar

View attachment 572577

CannonView attachment 572545
I couldn't get the fast idle button to work so I called the saw shop and a new trigger assembly was only a little over $4. I filled the tank yesterday when I was working on it and all day there would be gas in the breather housing and on the tailgate around it. I filled it about 2/3 of the way full this morning. I'm not sure where the tank vents but I got a new fuel cap when I got the trigger. When I got home I tried to crank it and it was hydro locked, after removing the plug I pulled the starter and sprayed the truck with gas. Even though I didn't see anything wrong with the old trigger I put the new assembly in and the high speed lock is working. I hope the new Fuel cap cures the tank pressure problem.
Cannon poulan 2055 003.JPG poulan 2055 001.JPG

Latest posts

Back