Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't find anyone who sells it up here. I would likely have to go to Stihl.

What's the shelf life on that after it's opened?

I've using Motoseal since it's easily found and cheap.

$9 CDN ($7.20 USD) for 80cc

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motoseal-1-ultimate-gasket-maker-grey-0382523p.html
Dirko HT is my go to sealant. Next is ThreeBond. Shelf life is very long so long as its capped tightly. Its great for metal to metal applications as well as metal to plastic eg. HUsky 350 riser. Heard that 1184 and others don't hold up that well in plastic to metal connections. Only negative is you have to work quickly cause it sets up very fast.

Sounds like maybe it sat some place and drew moisture got the bearings rusty and them being 2 stroke little oil heat and rust equal stuck saw got one that happened to right here one of those fancy new plastic homelite

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like maybe it sat some place and drew moisture got the bearings rusty and them being 2 stroke little oil heat and rust equal stuck saw got one that happened to right here one of those fancy new plastic homelite

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I'm thinking you're right....Saw probably sat for 10 - 12 years. Was pretty jacked it started so easy & ran so good at idle. Opened the throttle up to set H screw & she just quit. Oh well... tear it down & start over. Will post pictures when I find the cause.

One thing about those saws, easy to take apart. Might want to check everything in the oiling system to make sure it's ok, mainly the screw in check valve.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk
Did the check valve when I was doing fuel & oil lines. The duck bill was orange goo, so rebuilt the valve. The hoses were in pieces in the bottom of the tank. The pulse diaphragm was surprisingly in good shape.

Got most of my gaskets made for the 5200, just got to trim up the case gasket a bit and punch out the holes.
c0bddba057374f00186a04811deb0cd6.jpg
a92ecc7b644ecf64b38d2cd14a81e91f.jpg

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I can't find anyone who sells it up here. I would likely have to go to Stihl.

What's the shelf life on that after it's opened?

I've using Motoseal since it's easily found and cheap.

$9 CDN ($7.20 USD) for 80cc

I'm just winding down the first tube of Dirko I bought around 8 years ago if you can believe that. Think I paid around $16 for it at a Stihl dealer before I knew any better or was doing much real saw work. 70ml tube. I hafta squeeze hard to get what's left mind you, but the shelf life is..., shall we say..., adequate? Last tube was an eBay purchase from an outfit in Fla. for $6 and free shipping. I'll be getting into that one soon. I actually find the working time to not be an issue at all in most cases since it doesn't really 'set up' (or need to) like Threebond or Motoseal. I've even pulled an installed cylinder with a relatively fresh Dirko application and was able to just button it back up like it was a gasket. That's the exception and not the norm, but is also an example of how well it does seal (and set) and how non-messy it is to work with.

Anyway, 'nuff o' the sales pitch. You asked!

Back