Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there is an "A" beside the piston or cylinder it is unplated

If there is a "C" it is plated

The lists are far from complete but they cover most of the 1970 - 1990 saws

Attachments

• Cylinder Application Chart[1].pdf
    621.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Piston Application Chart[1].pdf
    425.1 KB · Views: 13
I traded Kensie for this NOS Craftsman 5.2. Thanks to ModifiedMarks advice I got it ready to run. I especialy appreciated the tip on the 361 gas tank fitting. And mahalo to Kensie for getting me the parts I needed. I took it along yesterday to do the bucking while I was milling. I traded a very good saw for it but it was worth it for me. How often does a new 5200 pop up? Poulan green is my favorite color but this looks good in red.

20170819_130034_Burst01.jpg
20170819_130104_Burst01.jpg 20170819_130118_Burst01.jpg

Well I got some clear coat for my 5200 finally. Have to bake it to cure it out, 250° for 30 minutes, cool for 30. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes then cool for 30 . Then bake 600° for 30 minutes and cool. Will the gas tank/handle assembly take that kind of heat without the sealer coming apart at the tank seams and causing it leak. Kind of weary on getting it that hot and causing the sealant to fail.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

I've never heard of any paint except header paint that will take that kind of temp. What did you buy?

I would think that kind of temps would fry any rubber in the saw. Not sure the tank sealer would take that either. It might be a good way to take all the paint off.

Don't know of any paint booth would exceed 140 Deg F. A good spray bomb clearcoat that's gas resistant is Plastikote 229 clear.

This is what I finally found.
ca71676855fa0f697a4c54a29cd7d637.jpg

Get the Plastikote 229. Contact plastikote and see if they have anyone in your area that carries it. If you heat your saw up that high you'll be sorting puddles in the oven.

Don't forget your throttle trigger and the carb adapter. It's your saw Steve. do as you please.

I think you'll find that if you let the paint on your saw cure for a time you won't need the clear coat. If you want to speed that up put it in the oven at 100 deg F for an hour or two.

I've checked with plastikote, no dealer anywhere near me any more. Trigger was taken off when I stripped it down to nothing but parts. Everything has been painted for three weeks, sun cured.

Back