Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder why it seems like most of the ones I see in whatever color/flavor lack a bucking dawg. Optional?

I'm pretty sure they were a dealer add on on the Poulan models. Chain brakes could be had for them as well. Not sure if Sears would have offered that option or not. I suspect you may have had to order one.

Most of my Poulan saws of these models were assembled in Toronto. The red Craftsman models came out of the US. The grey ones I have came out of Toronto. Not sure why. Maybe the 3800's being later production changed the way Sears bought their stock.

This one has a date coded AF cover of 1982 so likely made in '82 or '83.

Fire/forestry ban lifted by the province this week. First time out since early summer. Ran a tank through a 3400 on the top end of a tree. Lots of saw time to make up now. Machine ran OK. Could have richened it up a hair. Chain was a bit tight.

I also ran into my four legged friends again. More times than not, I see them where I cut or on the way up. Lovely creatures. There were 23 all together.

Sept 23 2017 (10) 10.jpg Sept 23 2017 (2) 2.jpg

Sounds like we need to follow him and wait for him to get out to look at a saw, block him off while the other snatches the deal on the saw.

Steve Sidwell, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great idea!

It would be nice to meet you both! Bob's only about 1,400 miles and Steve 1,000 miles. Let me know when you guys get close and I'll fire up the BBQ

I have a poulan top handle question for you guys and gals.

Why do some poulan 2000 top handle saws come with the grommets on the air filter cover to adjust the carbs but some of them don't? Was this an extra feature the customer had to pay for?

Also for the 2300 avc top handle saws with the special ant-vibe handle. I have yet to come across any of these saws that have an air filter cover that allows the user to adjust the crab screws. Being this is a bigger cc saw with a better handle it just doesn't make sense why these have no carb adjustment grommets????

I have a poulan top handle question for you guys and gals.

Why do some poulan 2000 top handle saws come with the grommets on the air filter cover to adjust the carbs but some of them don't? Was this an extra feature the customer had to pay for?

Also for the 2300 avc top handle saws with the special ant-vibe handle. I have yet to come across any of these saws that have an air filter cover that allows the user to adjust the crab screws. Being this is a bigger cc saw with a better handle it just doesn't make sense why these have no carb adjustment grommets????

I have a top cover from a parts saw that I made a couple holes in for that reason. It is a pain to tune them when the cover has to be removed/replaced. Repeatedly. They do lean out with the covers off and richen up when they are in place. I use the modified cover for tuning and then replace with the proper one. Easier.

They aren't as common as they used to be up here. I try to keep track of what I paid for saws. I can't remember some of the earlier purchase prices.

I do know the two most expensive saws I have have purchased was a brand new Echo CS-310, my first chainsaw, and a used 026 Stihl I bought a while after that.

this is most expensive saw I own. also first I ran. back when they were new. late 70s. 4200.

001.JPG

Fire/forestry ban lifted by the province this week. First time out since early summer. Ran a tank through a 3400 on the top end of a tree. Lots of saw time to make up now. Machine ran OK. Could have richened it up a hair. Chain was a bit tight.

I also ran into my four legged friends again. More times than not, I see them where I cut or on the way up. Lovely creatures. There were 23 all together.

View attachment 603390 View attachment 603395

Sounds to me like you have her tuned spot on. Lean in the cut and 4 stroking out.

View attachment 603390 View attachment 603395

Priceless, got to love Canada

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC, yes but he has since collected one (or more).[emoji6]

I can park a John Deere 23 where this one sits. Move the 202 to the top of the table saw.[emoji849]

Maybe, I don't remember but it seems I have had this 202 for more then a couple years.

Only thing on yours that is obviously different is the clutch cover. The 200 series has cast in features.. 100_4689 (Custom).JPG

What Husq or Stihl saw do you compare the 4200 with? New or old

had 570. the poulan more than held its own. get lil past 70cc, 038m, 044, 372, it starts eatin dust. not much, tho.
experienced guys on the crew I was on back in the day complained bout weight. dunno what they had that were lighter. +1 on 2 mark mentioned.
maybe just didn't like green paint.
corrections service loggin crew. saws supplied by employer...

Update on the Craftsman 3700.

The saw has a vacuum leak. I changed both seals. Interesting that both were still soft but were torn which I haven't come across before. Still had a vacuum leak at the case halves. I split the cases. None of the case screws were very tight. I believe the cases were split and the repair person didn't use any sealer or what was used was wrong and was dissolved which is more likely what happened. There was black goo in a few pockets. I would also guess the seals were torn by the flywheel key and the threads on the PTO side.

Pics just as they came apart

DSCF3445.JPG DSCF3446.JPG

Update on the Craftsman 3700.

The saw has a vacuum leak. I changed both seals. Interesting that both were still soft but were torn which I haven't come across before. Still had a vacuum leak at the case halves. I split the cases. None of the case screws were very tight. I believe the cases were split and the repair person didn't use any sealer or what was used was wrong and was dissolved which is more likely what happened. There was black goo in a few pockets. I would also guess the seals were torn by the flywheel key and the threads on the PTO side.

Pics just as they came apart

View attachment 603656 View attachment 603657

Sometimes we win and sometimes we need to repair to win, will be like new once rebuilt

Back