Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just going off memory here, which isn't to good, lol, I had one apart once just to see whats in there, and as I recall there was something in there that acts like a filter..I suppose that could get plugged up easily if ya got saw dust wood chip or something in your oil tank. That might make it not oil right also. Just a thought, Im far from an expert on this.:)

Gregg

Yea, as you look at pump in saw, there is a fiber filter that winds through two holes on the right side of pump. May be clogged but am willing to bet its either the diaphragm or gasket. If manual pump works you know that it isn't the oil pickup filter or line or a loose discharge line. Gotta be in the pump body.

Poulan 3000 Arrived

New same came all dirty and grundgy. Does have spark and 150 psi so looking good so far. So hot in garage (92 outside) that I was sweating too much to stay and do a pressure and vacuum test. For you Northerners, we don't have basements in Texas so the garage gets all the tools and stuff. Handle is busted just above two screws on right side of saw. Wonder if it can be welded?

I like the man. Oiler option on my saws. My s25da both have it along with my craftsman 3.7. When I was younger and first started cutting I didn't even realize the s25 had an auto oiler. A fact my dad left out when he let me use it...

New same came all dirty and grundgy. Does have spark and 150 psi so looking good so far. So hot in garage (92 outside) that I was sweating too much to stay and do a pressure and vacuum test. For you Northerners, we don't have basements in Texas so the garage gets all the tools and stuff. Handle is busted just above two screws on right side of saw. Wonder if it can be welded?

Yes it can if you can find someone to Tig it.

You guys working on the Poulan oilers, beside's the diaphrams going bad, (happens to all diaphrams over time) and the plugging up with junk there pretty much trouble free.

The manual oilers have what they called a quad ring on there plungers, not regular O rings and if your manual oiler dont work because of bad quad rings, the auto oilers wont work either.

Also rembember the check valves in the oil pick up lines, they dont go bad very often but they can if there fed a steady diet of crap.

Here's some pics of my new to me Skilsaw branded Poulan 3400.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

My 5400 is fried as u all know and I have a parts saw that I planned on useing for the top end. Well it has set too long and the piston rings are seized. So, any ideas on where to get the rings? I will be useing the parts saw top end which is actually a 5200 are there any other rings than just poulan that can be used?:monkey:

I soaked them and tried to get them apart, the worst is what happened. (they broke) :help:

I will guarantee you that there are piston rings that will interchange!

I used to know a guy that made piston rings for a living and according to him there are not that many variables involved.

Diameter, width, thickness, end style and taper, if any.

That would make a good sticky thread. Ring interchangeability.

I will guarantee you that there are piston rings that will interchange!

I used to know a guy that made piston rings for a living and according to him there are not that many variables involved.

Diameter, width, thickness, end style and taper, if any.

That would make a good sticky thread. Ring interchangeability.

That would make a great sticky, especially for those who like older saws.

How does one measure a piston ring?

How does one measure a cylinder to determine the size of ring required? Or is the measurement taken from the cylinder bore? Or both together?

hmmmm ..... seems like I am going to do some www searching tonight. :D

:cheers:

You will need a dial indicator to measure bore diameter. (unless you are VERY good with a pair of calipers)
A good start would be to just use the factory specs, if available.

I know that the diameter, thickness and width are the major measurements and if they have a locator pin style end, butt style like an auto engine or a taper style end.

Some pistons also have a tapered ring grove instead of being squared. I'm not sure what these are used for but I know Brian HATED running them.

That would make a great sticky, especially for those who like older saws.

How does one measure a piston ring?

How does one measure a cylinder to determine the size of ring required? Or is the measurement taken from the cylinder bore? Or both together?

hmmmm ..... seems like I am going to do some www searching tonight. :D

:cheers:

You should be able to get real close by finding a saw that has the same bore, and ring thickness.

Back