power/phone line wood left

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pretty simple rule of life....

If it is not your land, then it's not your land to take from.

It all belongs to somebody. Just because you see some one else pick from it doesn't make it okay. It should be rather simple to go to the local township or county seat, check the plat book, and get permission from the owner. I own several pieces of land, and people that ask to hunt, fish, cut, etc are welcome to. Those that don't bother to ask permission get "an ear full". You assume that the wood laying there is unwanted, yet I as the landowner assume that it will be there when I go to get it next week, month, year.

Good advice!! If you dont know the owner, Just go to your county tax office and look up who owns the piece. 95% of the time theyll let you have it just for asking, but theyre going to be pissed if they ride up on you cutting without their consent, as any respectable landowner would be.

Like many, Ive scrounged several nice loads of sugar maple from the road crew.

Around here, we own (and pay taxes on) the land to the center of the road, and the government has an easement, usually for 33' or 50' from the center (66' or 100' wide), for purposes of public travel.

You can walk on or along the road, drive on the surfaced roadway, etc, but you cannot take what's growing there. If a clearance crew left wood in the public right of way, or anywhere on the property for that matter, just knock on the door and ask them if they'd like you to remove it for them.

In Oklahoma this would be the way we would handle it as well. Most time the land owners and the county would like to see it gone. If no houses are around, and it has sit there for several days, I would say go ahead and take it. Much better than to see it used than be used for waste. If you are wanting to go by the letter of the law, you should always talk to the land owner. You can find this out by going to your county seat and talk to the Assets office.

The cutting crews working for the utility company's will just leave it where it lays for whom ever wants it, it's less work for them. I have gotten many cords of wood from my own street this way. If it's clearly on someone lawn, I'll ask if they want it before taking it. If it's along a wooded portion of the road, I make a judgment call but usually take it.

That's how it works around here. The crews leave the wood by the side of the road with the intention that people will grab it for firewood. I also ask permission if there is a house nearby. I figure that those folks should have first shot at it. I got 4 good loads of red oak a few years ago like that. Knocked on the door, and the woman was glad that I was going to take it away. Funny part of the story is that I was grabbing it a load at a time on the way home. Then I saw another guy feeding off the pile. He only had a wild thing, and an S-10 chevy with a cap, so he couldn't take too much. I was low on wood that year, and a little less inclined to share it. So the next day I jumped on it at 10 in the morning, and took the last two good loads out of there. I did feel a tinge of guilt, so I cut up what was left so at least the guy wouldn't have to use his wild thing. It was gone the next day, but I don't know for sure who got it.

Sometimes it goes the other way. A big ash came down across the road just around the corner from my house. It was getting dark as the town was cutting it up to clear the road. I threw a 2165 in the truck the next morning, and thought about grabbing a load before I went to the store. I figured maybe it wasn't a good idea to fire up a saw at 7:00AM, so I wimped out and thought I'd get a load on the way home. Nothing left but a couple of 4" branches. Yup, I took 'em; and I was laughing my butt off while I did it. :cheers:

... They sat for a week, and then, I thought "screw it." So we went and got 'em. We were the only ones besides the chebby/yota boys that went to get wood after all the fuss. Some People. All that fuss, and we left it there for a whole week for 'em, and nothing. Sorry, it kind of turned into a rant. If you actually read through all that, cool!!:cheers:

So if I don't clear up the wood on the edge of my property within a week you think you have a right to come and get it! I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!! :censored::censored::censored:

Get a sticker made up for the door of your truck "BANSHEE TREE TRIMERS", put on a orange helmet and no one will hassle you while your out there.

Just wear chaps and a forestry helmet, maybe an orange vest and no one will bother you, I have gotten tons of wood this way. If a nosey person stops, tell them immediately, before they can say anything, "if you have any questions call Jack at xxx-xxxx" and give them the number to the power company. The best defense is a good offense. As far as calling the power company, I say don't do it, most counties and utilities self insure and will never grant permission for you to do any cutting on their property, they are terrified of liability and would rather let the stuff rot in place.
If the wood is on the right of way, take it away. Wood on private property, as others have said, ask first. You may run into a good connection by asking, I once ran across a deal where the owner said I could take as much of the wood as I wanted because they were going to build a house there anyhow.

Last edited:
Just wear a badge and a gun, maybe a walkie talkie and no one will bother you, I have gotten tons of cash this way. If a nosey person stops, tell them immediately, before they can say anything, "if you have any questions call Jack at xxx-xxxx" and give them the number to the local bank. The best defense is a good offense. As far as calling the bank, I say don't do it, most businesses and banks are insured and will never grant permission for you to come steal their assets, they are terrified of loss and would rather let the stuff stay in place.

Interesting how that theory works out.......

So tonight, I'll drive by your place and anything in the yard that I think I may want, I'll take it. I mean, it is just sitting there right. If you didn't want that truck why would you just leave it there in the drive...?

:censored:
nuts

Last edited:
Way to completely change what I'm saying, funny. Seriously, like I said, stuff the cutters leave on public lands is usually up for grabs, like I said though, stuff on private property...ask first.

Way to completely change what I'm saying, funny. Seriously, like I said, stuff the cutters leave on public lands is usually up for grabs, like I said though, stuff on private property...ask first.

The problem is that several members here are "confused" as to what the right of way is, what "public" land is, etc. Your post promotes misleading people to the think you have the right to take from others. Is it so hard to find wood in your area that or others that you have to resort to STEALING...?

See post #16, as usual Mark has it right, rep sent.

What I meant is that it was on the common public county property, and the people thought they had a special right to it because it was on the county property in front of their property. sheesh. it's just wood. I've done some stupid things before but I don't believe I was stealing from anybody that day.

Also what I meant was that all the wood was on county property, and I decided to only take wood from areas that were far away from people's property fronts, access roads, and driveways. Because I lived in the neighborhood, nobody had a problem w/ that. The problem came when the chebby/yota boys came from out of nowhere and started taking from right in front of the ladies driveway, and the lady thought it was me. I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I also suppose I will make a point to ask all the people living on the side of the street where the wood is on if it's okay to take next time. It was just really stupid that the lady made a big deal about wood that was just as much anybody elses as hers and the guys didn't even take that much, plenty more was left. Some people just like to get worked up over nothing I suppose. :dizzy:

Also what I meant was that all the wood was on county property, and I decided to only take wood from areas that were far away from people's property fronts, access roads, and driveways. Because I lived in the neighborhood, nobody had a problem w/ that. The problem came when the chebby/yota boys came from out of nowhere and started taking from right in front of the ladies driveway, and the lady thought it was me. I guess I wasn't being clear enough. I also suppose I will make a point to ask all the people living on the side of the street where the wood is on if it's okay to take next time. It was just really stupid that the lady made a big deal about wood that was just as much anybody elses as hers and the guys didn't even take that much, plenty more was left. Some people just like to get worked up over nothing I suppose. :dizzy:

Situational ethics at work. "What I do is O.K".

Harry K

How Much Is a Few Sticks of Wood Worth

It is kind of hard for me to understand this issue. I know its just laying there and may rot but its not mine nor is it on my land. If its on private land then I think we all can agree that to take it without permission is STEALlNG. If it is on public land or state land and I just take it who did I steal it from? I stole it from you and everone else because you are the public. Now if we decide that we are going to steal it anyway and we take our children or grandchildren to help us load it what are we doing? We are teaching them it ok to steal So when they grow up and become our busniss leaders and public officials what was it we taught them?

It is kind of hard for me to understand this issue. I know its just laying there and may rot but its not mine nor is it on my land. If its on private land then I think we all can agree that to take it without permission is STEALlNG.

No argument there.

If it is on public land or state land and I just take it who did I steal it from? I stole it from you and everone else because you are the public.

That's not quite right.

Around my part of Virginia, the power companies, VDOT, and utility people will leave wood on the side of the road, on public property, because they count on wood scavengers to pick it up and save them the expense of disposing of it. If it belongs to the public, it belongs to me, too, so I'm not stealing if I help out with the unwritten, but still very much recognized, standard system for keeping our road sides clear of downed wood.

Just last year VDOT had some crews come along Route 7 (between the Blue Ridge and Hamilton) and cleared out a lot of ailanthus. They neatly cut it to firewood lengths (taking extra time to do so), and stacked it (mostly) alongside the road, chipped the brush, and left the rest to the scavengers. I didn't want any of it myself, but it was fun to watch each pile disappear over the next week or so. Most of it was where you couldn't really find whose property it was in front of, some of it you could have, but it was all clearly on the highway, not private property.

The alternative is for the taxpayers to pick up the tab to have that wood hauled to a landfill and wasted.

I don't see a problem with this system.

Now, on another part of my commute route, there's a bunch of nice oak dumped here and there along the road (a less traveled road) in chunks of various sizes. It's been there since a mid-winter storm, and I think it's pretty clear nobody there wants it. I'm pretty sure it's also on public land, but I don't plan to touch it until:

1. I've looked at a plat map to verify it's on public land.
  2. I stop at each house to ask if it's okay. ONLY AS A COURTESY.

If it turns out it's actually on the private land, I'll ask as a moral requirement, before I touch it.

Do you see a problem with approach?

What I meant is that it was on the common public county property, and the people thought they had a special right to it because it was on the county property in front of their property.

If it's on county property, I don't see a problem.

sheesh. it's just wood.

Whether it's "just wood" or a new car, stealing is stealing. However, claiming abandoned property is not stealing. It all depends on who owned it. If it was from trees growing on public property, and was left on public property, I don't think it's stealing.

No argument there.

That's not quite right.

Around my part of Virginia, the power companies, VDOT, and utility people will leave wood on the side of the road, on public property, because they count on wood scavengers to pick it up and save them the expense of disposing of it. If it belongs to the public, it belongs to me, too, so I'm not stealing if I help out with the unwritten, but still very much recognized, standard system for keeping our road sides clear of downed wood.

Just last year VDOT had some crews come along Route 7 (between the Blue Ridge and Hamilton) and cleared out a lot of ailanthus. They neatly cut it to firewood lengths (taking extra time to do so), and stacked it (mostly) alongside the road, chipped the brush, and left the rest to the scavengers. I didn't want any of it myself, but it was fun to watch each pile disappear over the next week or so. Most of it was where you couldn't really find whose property it was in front of, some of it you could have, but it was all clearly on the highway, not private property.

The alternative is for the taxpayers to pick up the tab to have that wood hauled to a landfill and wasted.

I don't see a problem with this system.

Now, on another part of my commute route, there's a bunch of nice oak dumped here and there along the road (a less traveled road) in chunks of various sizes. It's been there since a mid-winter storm, and I think it's pretty clear nobody there wants it. I'm pretty sure it's also on public land, but I don't plan to touch it until:

1. I've looked at a plat map to verify it's on public land.
  2. I stop at each house to ask if it's okay. ONLY AS A COURTESY.

If it turns out it's actually on the private land, I'll ask as a moral requirement, before I touch it.

Do you see a problem with approach?

Somewhat for wood on a ROW. It only takes a phone call to the State or County road department to ask.

Harry K

Not really, Harry. Because of liability issues, the only thing you'll hear from them is some version of, "We can't give you permission for that." :(

Trust me, they do NOT want to be called for permission every time they leave a stack of wood by the road!

Yes, someone gets it right. When I am working on the road side please do not ask me for permission to take the wood. I cannot give you that permission. However once I leave have at it. I even tell the home owners that want the wood they better hurry up and get it back from the curb or someone else might take it. But now after all the talk about theft I would probably be morally responsible to chip it all and not leave any of the prime 4-15 inch stuff for the theifs. Man I feel like an accomplice.

around these parts it's all about size and placement(...hmmmm where have I heard that before?? :dizzy:)

If it's real big and "placed" near the curb it's for taking. If its small rounds and back anywhere near the structure it's for keeping. Usually its very obvious what the homeowners intentions are, and if there are any questions as to which it is, you courteously ask the homeowners. It almost always leads to meeting a neighbor which is never a bad thing. Try and be friendly and respectful of the property and you might even get called back when another neighbor has a tree down. There are more farms and open space where Banshee is from but it is all owned by someone. The State can't afford property around this part of NJ.

the problem is a downed tree with rounds under 36" is gone by day light. If the wood is there by the curb for more then 5 hours its either pine or ant ridden.

Latest posts

Back