Power Products Thread....any and all info welcome.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tune it like a regular vintage saw, it should 4 stroke out of the cut and clean up at WOT. They need to be tuned while working or you will be way lean.
The myth that gear-drives rev slow is a hang over from the early 1950s.
Get your mitts on a late 60s or early '70s McCulloch or Homelite, they rev pretty good and have a feel of power you will not get with any other saw. The 87cc Mac 660 can buck 8 foot logs all day long and you won't get drowsy doing it. The 6-7 cube models pull heavy chain on a 72" bar with little effort.
Keep in mind that a gear-drive will continue cutting in a bind long after a direct-drive would have stalled, often resulting with the saw walking out of the kerf, with surprising speed and force. Never have any part of your body in line with a chainsaw, any chainsaw, however a hit from a 40+ pound alloy torpedo can cause considerable damage. We aren't talking about mere cuts here, shattered bones and internal injuries can result.

Yep. Tune it so it four strokes at WOT out of the cut and just cleans up when loaded down in the cut. With a powerful gear drive, you may not be able to load it down enough to clean up unless you're cutting some bigger wood.

Yep. Tune it so it four strokes at WOT out of the cut and just cleans up when loaded down in the cut. With a powerful gear drive, you may not be able to load it down enough to clean up unless you're cutting some bigger wood.

I'm just getting started in the vintage chainsaw world, and not the rocket scientist with terms yet. :buttkick:

Mind putting that in English? Mainly "So it four strokes at WOT"

I'm just getting started in the vintage chainsaw world, and not the rocket scientist with terms yet. :buttkick:

Mind putting that in English? Mainly "So it four strokes at WOT"

WOT is Wide Open Throttle (in this case, when NOT in the cut). Four strokes means it burbles (doesn't run 'clean'). It's something you have to hear to understand.

David Bradley Model 917.60005

I started stripping down my David Bradley Model 917.60005 today. I have run into a brick wall with getting the fan off.

attachment.php

As seen in the picture, there are two Funny shaped notches on either side of the shaft. I'm assuming these are somehow meant to assist in removing the fan. However, I've banged my head off the wall for a good while trying to figure it out, and came up with nothing.

Hoping someone here can help.

Is there a special tool to remove this fan, or an easy way to do it? Most Remingtons I have worked on have two tapped wholes that you can use a plate and bolts to jack the fan off. Right now it is sitting and soaking with Kroil.

Thanks in Advance
Dustin

I started stripping down my David Bradley Model 917.60005 today. I have run into a brick wall with getting the fan off.

As seen in the picture, there are two Funny shaped notches on either side of the shaft. I'm assuming these are somehow meant to assist in removing the fan. However, I've banged my head off the wall for a good while trying to figure it out, and came up with nothing.

Hoping someone here can help.

Is there a special tool to remove this fan, or an easy way to do it? Most Remingtons I have worked on have two tapped wholes that you can use a plate and bolts to jack the fan off. Right now it is sitting and soaking with Kroil.

Thanks in Advance
Dustin

I thread the nut back on the crank but leave the nut higher then the end of crank.
So you do not damage the crank. Spray WD-40 on crank and flywheel where they meet.
Hold the saw up by the flywheel fins and a few taps with a hammer and they come off.
There was a few flywheels I had to tap a little harder to have them come off.

I got one off evilbay just to salvage the starter dog engagement bits. I now have a leftover cover, pulley and spring if you need that much. AH480 engine. Look at lawnmower parts also.

attachment.php

They are reversible by the way.

Thanks for the offer but this one uses the old friction type FM starter that has a smooth cup instead of the cogged one like yours.
Mike

i already have a Barker GT-7 and a Sears D49. picked up a monkey ward 89-24102, Type 1460 last week. the saw was apparently submerged. so the carb was packed with mud/dirt. i'm gonna try but not sure i'll ever get it cleaned out. the pump diaphragm is still very flexible so i do have hope. haven't yet cleaned up the points so don't know if i even have spark. meanwhile, trying to scope out some parts. anyone got any points/coil/condenser or lauson carb. these old saws are addicting.

I had the little Mono with the AH47 but sold it to my brother...I still have my Strunk Shur Kut with the AH47, and the Wards/Mono 90 with the AH81. The big one is pretty well worn and doesn't make a lot of HP but is still capable of producing some ear splitting noise.

Little AH47 Mono - gone now

attachment.php

Strunk Shur Kut AH47

attachment.php

Ward/Mono 90 AH81

attachment.php

Mark
hi mark
i have a saw the same colour as yours, white, ithought it was a mono but i see yours is a ward
mine is the H81 and im after a complete pull starter that bolts onto the cover, would you have one for sale or know who has one for sale
regards peter

Try the "Old Magnesium..." thread in the Stickies for possible help.

You could also try contacting Terry Tichner at Ace Saws in Braeside, VIC. He has a lot of old saws himself and may be able to steer you in the right direction.

I know from a few trip around the south east corner of Australia there are a lot of old saws hiding in sheds and barn if you poke around a little.

Mark

hi guys, im chasing a complete pull starter for my big 10 AH 81
if any one knows where there is one
also what other motors take the same size pull starter
any help would be great
regards peter

I got Strunk'd by a fellow AS member!

Thomas1 posted his pix of the older saws he had scored and something yelled out at me about 'the big yeller one' in the back. I inquired about availability and one thing led to another. Tom and I struck a mutually agreeable deal and a couple weeks later this beast arrived. Tom was entirely reasonable and easy to work with. Looking forward to more possible deals with him.

Here's the pix!

(Sorry about the picture quality. Something about the basement the camera doesn't like.)

GEDC0972.jpg

GEDC0971.jpg

GEDC0970.jpg

GEDC0969.jpg

GEDC0968.jpg

All I've done so far to it is blow it off, wipe it off and spray a bit. From what I've been able to learn it's a Strunk 3-19 rebadged as a David Bradley re-tagged for Sears Roebuck (355.83131). It appears to be complete and has compression and spark. Has a 24" bar with some really mean (rather new) looking chain. The recoil will need some attention, as will the carb most likely. Are rebuild kits available for these carbs or just a replaceable diaphragm? Looking forward to running it! With a 2700 - 4000 RPM operating range and a 3:1 gear reduction, this adds up to 40 pounds of rompin' stompin' wood cuttin' fun!

Thomas1 posted his pix of the older saws he had scored and something yelled out at me about 'the big yeller one' in the back. I inquired about availability and one thing led to another. Tom and I struck a mutually agreeable deal and a couple weeks later this beast arrived. Tom was entirely reasonable and easy to work with. Looking forward to more possible deals with him.

Here's the pix!

(Sorry about the picture quality. Something about the basement the camera doesn't like.)

GEDC0972.jpg

GEDC0971.jpg

GEDC0970.jpg

GEDC0969.jpg

GEDC0968.jpg

All I've done so far to it is blow it off, wipe it off and spray a bit. From what I've been able to learn it's a Strunk 3-19 rebadged as a David Bradley re-tagged for Sears Roebuck (355.83131). It appears to be complete and has compression and spark. Has a 24" bar with some really mean (rather new) looking chain. The recoil will need some attention, as will the carb most likely. Are rebuild kits available for these carbs or just a replaceable diaphragm? Looking forward to running it! With a 2700 - 4000 RPM operating range and a 3:1 gear reduction, this adds up to 40 pounds of rompin' stompin' wood cuttin' fun!

A saw that heavy deserves its' own thread. :D

Glad you're happy with it.

Here's the pix!

GEDC0972.jpg

There is no diaphragm in the carb, its has a float. There is no kits that I know of.
All you need to do is take it apart and clean it. You may have to make one gasket for
it. If the reeds look clean with no rust or corrosion and your just getting the saw running
I would leaving them where they are at.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
cool old saw. this is the davidbradly version of it. never herd of the bulldog recoil. i'll be fallowing your thread on yours.

cool old saw. this is the davidbradly version of it. never herd of the bulldog recoil. i'll be fallowing your thread on yours.

Good morning, Fraser .... I may have gotten behind while I was ahead of myself. I'm referring to the saw as a Strunk, when it's actually a David Bradley like yours and also wearing a Sears tag. Guess I just prefer to go to the 'root' is all ...

Besides, nobody's ever going to say that 'David Bradley' sounds cool ..... 'Strunk' on the other hand .. :laugh:

Good morning, Fraser .... I may have gotten behind while I was ahead of myself. I'm referring to the saw as a Strunk, when it's actually a David Bradley like yours and also wearing a Sears tag. Guess I just prefer to go to the 'root' is all ...

Besides, nobody's ever going to say that 'David Bradley' sounds cool ..... 'Strunk' on the other hand .. :laugh:

Quit confusing everybody, it's definitely not a Root. Jeez...

:D

Latest posts

Back