::: Power vs Torque :::

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

::: Power vs Torque :::

• Power

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • Torque

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • Depends [on the application]

Votes: 35 43.2%

• Total voters
While you are at it you may as well discuss whether a heavier flywheel increases torque more than horsepower!:ices_rofl:

Arrgggghhhhh! It took me months of therapy to get the last remnants of that thread out of my head, now.... help.. somebody make the music stop... :confused:

Arrgggghhhhh! It took me months of therapy to get the last remnants of that thread out of my head, now.... help.. somebody make the music stop... :confused:

Ah come one. Everyone one knows that a heavier flywheel will make more torque. That's why 18 wheelers are so heavy. Duh.

Ah come one. Everyone one knows that a heavier flywheel will make more torque. That's why 18 wheelers are so heavy. Duh.

refer to diesel vs petrol i spoke about earlier...

increasing flywheel mass will increase torque to a point, but its a bellcurve. too much weight and you wont be able to start the engine (exaggerating a bit but you get the point) - so you will end up needing more hp anyway

decrease weight = less torque but faster acceleration. bellcurve again... too light and it stalls. it will have balance issues also.

i could go on, but im bored :popcorn: :popcorn:

refer to diesel vs petrol i spoke about earlier...

increasing flywheel mass will increase torque to a point, but its a bellcurve. too much weight and you wont be able to start the engine (exaggerating a bit but you get the point) - so you will end up needing more hp anyway

decrease weight = less torque but faster acceleration. bellcurve again... too light and it stalls. it will have balance issues also.

i could go on, but im bored :popcorn: :popcorn:
ha ha ha ha :jester:

You might know how much it takes to torque you up but as Space and Kiwi pointed out, you dont know crap about semantics: the English language has sure suffered on the tongues of the colonials! :rock: Now how does that turn your crank?

1980... wow.

guess you missed the underarm incedent then. and the rainbow warrior. and the attack on one tree hill (which is now known as none tree hill thanks to some clever tagging).

That's all that happened??

lolol I have a bunch of relatives that discovered email way too early... hard to miss the enormity of those events...

Last edited:
That's why I put the link in Post #3! but most would rather argue than read :monkey:

Someone PM chowdozer and tell hm there's another torque/power thread....

In any case SAE HP sucks. We need RAC HP. Lot's more people would be torqued-off with the later.

Space has a good handle on things.

Flywheel increasing horsepower/torque?
rofl.gif
Crofter, quit trying to start a ruckus.:buttkick:

this entire thread is rigged!! shinanagins!! both the poll options are nothing without eachother
a saw that is 99% torque you can put all your weight into and the chain wont bog but it may only spin at 10rpm all this while having a bagillionmamillion pounds of torque.
a saw that is 99% power can spin at 25000rpm but as soon as it hits the wood the chain will stop.
its a good balance between HP and torque that makes a good saw but generally HP is better for smaller stuff torque is better for largestuff/milling. thats the way i have come to understand them anyways

I guess that math is beyond this group. You are all torqued off to boot. If you do not stop this maddness, I will start posting the calculus equations on power! So once again, the simplified physics equation is:

chainsaw power = torque x revs

More revs, more power. More torque, more power. Either way, more power, as long as torque and revs are greater than zero. If either are zero, you get nothing.

Got torque? :buttkick:

:givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer: :givebeer:

Back